Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

exhaust advice

This is a discussion on exhaust advice within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Firebirdjones Are you always this difficult to please? You're out of choices then unless you want to ...

2002 WS6
    1965 Mustang

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Are you always this difficult to please?

You're out of choices then unless you want to dump it at the rearend housing, lots of drone with that method though. Cheap to do, but it has alot of drawbacks.

Otherwise custom making a system from scratch sounds like your best bet then, but it's hard to find a shop with a mandrel bender, and it's pricey. Unless the guy is very skilled and takes his time you also wind up with a subpar system.
    Actually, no, I'm not difficult to please, except when it comes to my car. Anything else, I could really care less.

Yeah, I already have it dumped at the axle. Sounds pretty damn good actually. Just missing my tailpipes on the back. The Bird looks like its missing an important piece.

And exhaust shops here in OK are plentiful and my guy is awesome. Just trying to think out of the box.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

That was damn funny, FBJ!
    jrbonds likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jrbonds View Post
    Actually, no, I'm not difficult to please, except when it comes to my car. Anything else, I could really care less.

Yeah, I already have it dumped at the axle. Sounds pretty damn good actually. Just missing my tailpipes on the back. The Bird looks like its missing an important piece.

And exhaust shops here in OK are plentiful and my guy is awesome. Just trying to think out of the box.
    Here's thinking outside the box....

A couple of short dummy pipes to fasten securely, with your favorite tips on the end just to fill the void in the back. Non functional but cosmetically correct and you coudn't tell unless you crawled under the car. Very easy to do and inexpensive.

Then just leave the dumps at the rear axle.

2002 WS6
    1965 Mustang

A couple of short dummy pipes to fasten securely, with your favorite tips on the end just to fill the void in the back. Non functional but cosmetically correct and you coudn't tell unless you crawled under the car. Very easy to do and inexpensive.

Or just get my GMMG put on. Just had it sitting in the garage since January. I think its time.

There ya go Won't sound the same as the dumps, and the GMMG is a bit too loud for me, but would be a huge improvement over what you have both inside and outside the car.

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'15 Hemi Truck

I had a friend in GA with a Firehawk who did exactly what you described.
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

2002 WS6
    1965 Mustang

Quote Originally Posted by theorangeguy View Post

I had a friend in GA with a Firehawk who did exactly what you described.
    And how did it turn out!???? Details!!!!!!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

There ya go Won't sound the same as the dumps, and the GMMG is a bit too loud for me, but would be a huge improvement over what you have both inside and outside the car.
    us young kids like those loud bad ass sounding exhausts.........I'm serious though.....that GMMG is the best sounding catback I've ever heard. I was at some races one night on a deserted road kinda thing and this car starts up and it immediately got my attention then he races another car and I was in love. Already had my catback and ecut out and I was too cheap to just dump all that but I wish I would've. Closest catback we have that will even come close to competing with the stangs sound wise. I like the spintech on my brothers GTO too. He actually has 2 extra mufflers that I'd like to get and put on mine at some point.
    jrbonds likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Green Z28 View Post
    Don't worry about understanding women. Women understand women, and they hate each other

98 Formula
    06 duramax

what is it with you old guys and this shit? My first car was a 75 cutlass. I wanted duals so bad I could taste it and asked dad about it. He suggested the same tacky shit you just did . This will give you and idea of when it was.......I saved my money and took it to a local shop that turned their heads the other way when it came to having cats on a car. They welded up true duals from the manifolds back with 12" glass packs for $100 When I got into that car you could hear that thing coming a mile away.

Black / White

And how did it turn out!???? Details!!!!!!
    he loved it. He actually sold the whole system to another friend of ours when he got rid of his hawk for a corvette. He had it custom made...it was basically duals with an X pipe that were dumped at the axle with 2 dummy pipes that went to the back of the car. The dummy pipes were welded onto the dumped mufflers for support and went all the way to the back of the car under the axle "my only problem with it was the under axle part". Looking at it from the back of the car, it looked like a regular exhaust system...hearing it was a completely different story.

I dont have any pictures of it but i'll see if he does. This was in like 2006 or 2007 so its been a while.

Quote Originally Posted by theorangeguy View Post
    he loved it. He actually sold the whole system to another friend of ours when he got rid of his hawk for a corvette. He had it custom made...it was basically duals with an X pipe that were dumped at the axle with 2 dummy pipes that went to the back of the car. The dummy pipes were welded onto the dumped mufflers for support and went all the way to the back of the car under the axle "my only problem with it was the under axle part". Looking at it from the back of the car, it looked like a regular exhaust system...hearing it was a completely different story.

I dont have any pictures of it but i'll see if he does. This was in like 2006 or 2007 so its been a while.
    I wouldn't even have went that far with the dummy pipes. I'd utilize the factory threaded holes in the rear frame portion just like SLP did for the optional Dual/Dual setups. They just made simple little brackets that bolted on. All 4th gens have these threaded holes back there. You would then only need about a 12-18" long pipe, weld the bracket on and bolt it to the frame, it won't go anywhere.

Black / White

I wouldn't even have went that far with the dummy pipes. I'd utilize the factory threaded holes in the rear frame portion just like SLP did for the optional Dual/Dual setups. They just made simple little brackets that bolted on. All 4th gens have these threaded holes back there. You would then only need about a 12-18" long pipe, weld the bracket on and bolt it to the frame, it won't go anywhere.
    I probably would have done the same thing...which is why I hated the fact he went under the rear axle. It was very sturdy tho...it did not flex at all which was probably the only good part about having everything put together like he did it.

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    us young kids like those loud bad ass sounding exhausts.........I'm serious though.....that GMMG is the best sounding catback I've ever heard. I was at some races one night on a deserted road kinda thing and this car starts up and it immediately got my attention then he races another car and I was in love. Already had my catback and ecut out and I was too cheap to just dump all that but I wish I would've. Closest catback we have that will even come close to competing with the stangs sound wise. I like the spintech on my brothers GTO too. He actually has 2 extra mufflers that I'd like to get and put on mine at some point.
    Oh I still have a very loud car here (chevelle) where I don't have much choice when you are wringing every last bit of HP out of it. Large pipes and free flowing mufflers just aren't going to be quiet, but that shit gets old to me after a while. Luckily I can park that car when I've had enough. A daily driver on the other hand (which is what our 4th gens are) gets old pretty quick. I didn't mean to imply I don't like the sounds of a good system, I just only like it for so long
    I ran the spintech muffler on a 4" mufflex system before I went to the Magnaflow race muffler, it does sound good but damn it's loud. Another system I like the sound of is Corsa. I agree, hard to compete with the mustangs, going all the way back to fox body days, they all sound damn good with a system on them.

what is it with you old guys and this shit? My first car was a 75 cutlass. I wanted duals so bad I could taste it and asked dad about it. He suggested the same tacky shit you just did . This will give you and idea of when it was.......I saved my money and took it to a local shop that turned their heads the other way when it came to having cats on a car. They welded up true duals from the manifolds back with 12" glass packs for $100 When I got into that car you could hear that thing coming a mile away.
    You don't like my fake tailpipe trick? I just did this on the last 57 T-bird I painted. Those cars have the exhaust exit through the chrome bumper. Of course that discolors the chrome and it's a pain to keep clean. I mounted the stock tips inside the bumper so that they looked like they worked, then cut the tailpipes off about 12" behind that and welded on small turndowns behind the rear quarter panels that were hidden up in there, (couldn't see them) So when running even the noise of the engine is coming out next to the actual tailpipes, but you don't have the mess on the chrome to deal with
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 08-07-2014 at 12:15 PM.

Black / White

Oh I still have a very loud car here (chevelle) where I don't have much choice when you are wringing every last bit of HP out of it. Large pipes and free flowing mufflers just aren't going to be quiet, but that shit gets old to me after a while. Luckily I can park that car when I've had enough. A daily driver on the other hand (which is what our 4th gens are) gets old pretty quick. I didn't mean to imply I don't like the sounds of a good system, I just don't like it for very long

You don't like my fake tailpipe trick? I just did this on the last 57 T-bird I painted. Those cars have the exhaust exit through the chrome bumper. Of course that discolors the chrome and it's a pain to keep clean. I mounted the stock tips inside the bumper so that they looked like they worked, then cut the tailpipes off about 12" behind that and welded on small turndowns behind the rear quarter panels that were hidden up in there, (couldn't see them) So when running even the noise of the engine is coming out next to the actual tailpipes, but you don't have the mess on the chrome to deal with
    I'm at a crossroad with that same situation...everybody tells me my car sounds great, but I wouldnt mind it being a little louder...but I drive it to work when its not raining or snowing and its already slightly difficult to have a conversation in the car not sure what to do...I would LOVE to have some GMMG exhaust, but I think it would kill the DD part of my car...

FYI...Jawbone noise assassin bluetooth ear piece is one of the best things i've bought since I've owned this car. Kills just about all of the outside noise. First night I got it I drove down the interstate at 85mph with the T-Tops out and nobody knew it when I called them.

I'm just getting old I think. I've been through this with a few cars that I still have.

I bought a duramax. Everyone says, "oh just run a 5" straight pipe they sound awsome" Well I didn't want it to sound like a Mac Truck that could be heard for blocks, so I went with a muffler on a 4" catback, I did however remove the cat converter. Just the right amount of sound for me, you can hear the turbo whistle, and a slight deep rumble, but as soon as you roll the windows up I can't hear a thing.

I've had 3 systems on my 70 formula, the latest a Pypes setup, I'm finally happy with the sound level.

I currently have a 4" mufflex on our 4th gen that my wife drives daily. I can't wait to get that damn thing off, I just haven't had the time. The original Dual/Dual with CME is going back on the car to make that thing more livable. Right now you can't carry on a conversation in that stupid thing.

Right now I'm daily driving a little 89 5.0 mustang. It's bone stock throughout. Exhaust system has 4 cats and 2 mufflers with an "H" pipe (all factory dual exhaust) It has a little burble but just the right amount of sound without being obnoxious, very quiet inside, even with the windows down. However having 4 cats is killing me and I know these things pick up a bit of power and mileage when removed. Even my son and wife have encouraged me to remove them for an off road X-pipe. But I'm afraid even with the stock mufflers it will be too loud if those cats are removed, So I'm hesitant.

My old 79 pickup with a 502 and 3" duals was killing my ear drums so 3 years ago I removed the Flowmaster race mufflers and installed Pypes street pro mufflers. I can finally talk to the person next to me now
    My chevelle will stay loud with it's 3" setup but that's all I can tolerate. I have other examples sitting here too but I think you get the idea.

Yeah call me old
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 08-07-2014 at 12:38 PM.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

you know what is really quiet and sounds like it would fit you perfectly? A prius.....they make hardly any noise at all.
    jrbonds likes this.

Black / White

you know what is really quiet and sounds like it would fit you perfectly? A prius.....they make hardly any noise at all.
    they make a slight wind noise when they go by

2002 WS6
    1965 Mustang

I'm just getting old I think.
    Yeah call me old

As I get older, so does my obsession with getting louder. Think maybe just senility is setting in?

Black / White

As I get older, so does my obsession with getting louder. Think maybe just senility is setting in?
    probably just a lack of hearing...you probably listen to the tv louder than you used to as well

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I forgot about firebirdjones age so scrap the prius....that's a kids car. FBJ needs him a nice buick riviera

I've heard the magnaflow exhausts and they don't sound terrible but if I were between the two, under the age of 55, and wanted my muscle car to sound like a muscle car it would be the GMMG hands down.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information