Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Exhaust

This is a discussion on Exhaust within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; well i dont think im gonna make my camaro a HIGH horsepower machine, for now i will get the Magnaflow ...

Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS-M6 #1775

well i dont think im gonna make my camaro a HIGH horsepower machine, for now i will get the Magnaflow Cat-back and then later i might get headers, but i have to be emissions legal i think il stick with the Y-pipe setup and get a aftermarket Y-pipe ( i noticed the stock one is all flattend out).
    Last edited by Tyler_LS1; 09-19-2006 at 11:31 PM.
    1999 Camaro SS/ Pewter/ #1775 - LS1 6-speed - Predator 3 Custom Tune - Pro 5.0 - LS7 Clutch - 3.90's - Koni's - Strano Springs and Sway Bars - SFC's - Full UMI Chassis and Suspension - LS6 Intake PnP TB - ARH LT's and Kitty Ran Away - Magnaflow.

12.6 at 112

http://www.fquick.com/Tyler_LS1

Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS-M6 #1775

has anyone tried the SLP Power-Flo Catback System?
    i heard from SLP that it will give a 17HP gain. is this true?
    Last edited by Tyler_LS1; 09-29-2006 at 10:57 PM.

Black
    2002 TransAm Firehawk

I think there is something to it, I bought an 02 firehawk, at slp they installed the blackwing lid and powerflo exhaust and it went from a 310 h.p. car to a 345 h.p. car. It is fairly quiet though.

Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS-M6 #1775

Quote Originally Posted by z28241 View Post
    I think there is something to it, I bought an 02 firehawk, at slp they installed the blackwing lid and powerflo exhaust and it went from a 310 h.p. car to a 345 h.p. car. It is fairly quiet though.
    what do you think that would compare to the magnaflow catback? performance and sound?
    Last edited by Tyler_LS1; 09-29-2006 at 10:57 PM.

Black
    2002 Camaro SS

Go GMMG chambered exhaust !!!!
    The sound can't be beat.

Black
    2002 TransAm Firehawk

I think the magnaflow has a better sound, prolly close to performance but when I do want I want to do I will go with a GMMG.

Silver
    2002 35th Ann Z28

Magnaflow sounds awesome and I love the big tips they have....

John
    Click for full size

Too many mods too list......

Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS-M6 #1775

if i go with the exaust shop in my town i can get it done with magnaflow for about $300. but the kit you buy from magnaflow (usually around $454) comes with mandrel bent pipe. the guy said that what he was putting on my car wasnt going to be mandrel bent after the muffler. does it make that much of a difference?

It has a big wing!

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler_LS1 View Post
    if i go with the exaust shop in my town i can get it done with magnaflow for about $300. but the kit you buy from magnaflow (usually around $454) comes with mandrel bent pipe. the guy said that what he was putting on my car wasnt going to be mandrel bent after the muffler. does it make that much of a difference?
    Remember what was said already..."Do it right the first time".

The Magnaflow Catback kit will come with mandrel bent pipes that start from the end of your y pipe back,over the axle,to the muffler and then the muffler will split out to two pipes each going to a big ol' shiney tip...

I sounds like your exhaust guy is going to just about give you half of that and you didn't mention if he was going to include the tips as well...

I would go for the kit but,if you are looking JUST for the sound and a little bit of gain,just have him install ONLY a Magnaflow muffler into your stock exhaust...would be the cheapest route (short of a cutout) for sound.

The SLP Power Flo kit from what I understand is basically the SLP Dual Dual kit..If it is,its sounds really nice (I have the Dual Dual kit) and flows really well...but is REALLY REALLY quiet!Many think its too quiet...Barely louder than stock but flows MUCH better than the stock Z28,Trans Am,SS (non- dual dual) exhaust.

Good luck on what you decide...

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

Quote Originally Posted by BlackLT1Z28 View Post
    LM's have a good rumble at idle and scream when you get on it...
    I love my cammed, LT's/ORY and LM combination...lol At idle you can tell she's not stock. She snarls, screams, purrs and pops. I have yet to take it over 5000rpm or floor it in 1st, because it is that LOUD! I need to get some clips of her, it's crazy sick ass loud man!!!
    2000 SS - The Wicked Witch: °°Cammed 'n Slammed°° 458rwhp/410rwtq
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowtie_girl30
    I was hoping to just hump her up the exhaust cause she is so damn sexy....
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    I love my cammed, LT's/ORY and LM combination...lol At idle you can tell she's not stock. She snarls, screams, purrs and pops. I have yet to take it over 5000rpm or floor it in 1st, because it is that LOUD! I need to get some clips of her, it's crazy sick ass loud man!!!
    Mine put out almost the exact same numbers with almost the exact same combo. 372/368

Now that is a legit dyno number.

I see some guys who say they put out 410 or more rwhp with just a cam. I just don't see how a 40 RWHP difference in a 224 vs 232 duration cam is possible. That is like 60 HP difference at the motor!

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

Quote Originally Posted by Roastem View Post
    Mine put out almost the exact same numbers with almost the exact same combo. 372/368

Now that is a legit dyno number.

I see some guys who say they put out 410 or more rwhp with just a cam. I just don't see how a 40 RWHP difference in a 224 vs 232 duration cam is possible. That is like 60 HP difference at the motor!
    Thanks man. I was pleased. I still have my Ls6 intake sitting on the floor waiting for a time to install it and tuned again. I'm stopping after that (just for a little bit) to do some head research and some suspension work.

As for the folks who make those claims, call them out on it. I have proof of all three of my runs with results (vids of the LM and Cam dyno, not the LT/ORY dyno). Im not saying that it isn't possible, but it would be nice to see how they got there and the supporting paperwork to back it.

A 224 compared to a 232 is a significant 'bump' in performance. You have to look at the specs of the cam, esp if it goes over a .600 lift and the LSA as well, along with power curves of different cams respectively. There is a difference between peak numbers and under the curve power numbers. I selected a cam to give me under the curve power numbers. I could have gone bigger, but I didn't want to. It was not part of the goals that I had set. I wanted a fun DD to get me ahead of just about anyone I wanted, not a trailered 1/4 mile beast.

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

There is a big difference in a trailered car vs. a street car. DRIVEABILITY! I don't want it if I can't drive it to the track from at least 2 hours away without breaking the bank, or anything else for that matter.

97.4 1/8th trap, and 25+mpg on the highway, damn, you gotta love the F-bod LS1!

Who the hell designed that engine anyway, we should all get together and send him a Christmas present.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information