Thread: Exhaust

pewter
    2002 trans am ws6

Exhaust

I am sorry to start another exhaust thread but I am pretty confused and I didn't find what I was looking for in search.

I am looking for a Cat-Back system, I have it down to Borla and Magnaflow(The dual tip versions) my first question is why don't the Cat-Back systems include a Y-Pipe? isn't the Y-Pipe after the cats? And secondly which is the better quality system? and where can I find the best price?

Thanks in advance and I apologize again for another exhaust thread!

Black
    2001 Camaro SS Vert

Quote Originally Posted by markdd91 View Post
    I am sorry to start another exhaust thread but I am pretty confused and I didn't find what I was looking for in search.

I am looking for a Cat-Back system, I have it down to Borla and Magnaflow(The dual tip versions) my first question is why don't the Cat-Back systems include a Y-Pipe? isn't the Y-Pipe after the cats? And secondly which is the better quality system? and where can I find the best price?

Thanks in advance and I apologize again for another exhaust thread!
    No problem, check the stickies under exhaust up top, lots of good info.

The Y pipe is not included your are right, and it does come after the cats on a stock exhaust manifold setup. Often with Long tube headers the cats are part of the Y pipe... weird but that's how it works on these cars.

Check the sponsors' sites for prices, they offer good deals and will hook you right up.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Check with Mark at KY Speed -- site sponsor.

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

I have the magnaflow dual duals . . . And i like the mellow sound and the tips look amazing, however i am somewhat disappointed in the quality. For the system to be stainless steel, the muffler itself and the tubing still get surface rust on them. I dont know if the borla does this too, but to me, stainless, i thought means no rust, at least on a catback thats only about a year old. I got mine for about $500 brand new, which is really good for the dual dual version.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by GULLETT17 View Post
    I have the magnaflow dual duals . . . And i like the mellow sound and the tips look amazing, however i am somewhat disappointed in the quality. For the system to be stainless steel, the muffler itself and the tubing still get surface rust on them. I dont know if the borla does this too, but to me, stainless, i thought means no rust, at least on a catback thats only about a year old. I got mine for about $500 brand new, which is really good for the dual dual version.

Compared to stock -- and I know this is all subjective -- how much more bark do you have when you get into the throttle? Also, do you have any drone inside the car at highway speeds?

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Quote Originally Posted by GULLETT17 View Post
    Being "stainless" does not necessarily mean that it will not rust or corrode. It only means that it is highly resistant to rust & corrosion.
    There are many types of stainless steel, some of which rust very quickly like 4140.
    Some like 300 series don't.
    Knives & forks you use at home are likely to be made from 18-10 or 18-8.
    300 series will cost you alot more than the $500 you paid.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by rbob93 View Post
    Being "stainless" does not necessarily mean that it will not rust or corrode. It only means that it is highly resistant to rust & corrosion.
    There are many types of stainless steel, some of which rust very quickly like 4140.

Agreed. I would certainly polish the tips and use a sealer/wax on them to help stop any rust issues. Mother's makes a nice metal polish that I use on my motorcycle and under the hood on the T/A.

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Compared to stock -- and I know this is all subjective -- how much more bark do you have when you get into the throttle? Also, do you have any drone inside the car at highway speeds?
    The magnaflow is very mellow unless your at wot. . .barely any drone or rasp. . . a clean aftermarket sound.

Quote Originally Posted by rbob93 View Post
    Oh i know . . . and i dont know a lot about the different grades of stainless. But im just sayin, its assumed that the stainless catbacks will corrode/rust less than the aluminized, and the magnaflow hasn't proved this to me.

black
    01 SS

i have the borla, "open" catback on my car with dual dual tips.. its sounds good driving around nice tone, and its loud as hell when you are wot.. although the borla is a lil raspy for me, at wot..

Silver
    2000 Trans Am WS6

I have the Borla and I love it, Magnaflow sounds good too, just not loud enough for me, if you plan on doin headers in the future I heard they sound great with a Magnaflow...Heard they sound a little raspy with the Borla, but u can always switch plates to the tone that you like

pewter
    2002 trans am ws6

Thanks a lot for the replys guys! I think I will go with Magnaflow and then do the headers and Y-pipe later...Doesn't the Borla system lose power when you change from open plate to closed?

black
    1998 trans am

PM sent

thanks,

Mark

KYSpeed.com | FREE SHIPPING & HANDLING | PRICE MATCH | EMAIL

Kook's | American Racing Headers | Vararam | HallTech | Textralia | SPEC | McLeod | Raptor | Trick Flow | AFR | ECS
    | FAST | APS | TTi | Procharger | RPM Transmission | Comp | DMH | HP Tuners | PFADT | SLP | STS

Silver
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by markdd91 View Post
    Thanks a lot for the replys guys! I think I will go with Magnaflow and then do the headers and Y-pipe later...Doesn't the Borla system lose power when you change from open plate to closed?
    If it does lose power it isn't that much, I have ran it with every plate and didn't notice any difference except for the sound

Silver
    2000 Trans Am WS6

U'll like the Magnaflow tho, and if you do the headers and y-pipe in future it will sound really good then

pewter
    2002 trans am ws6

Ok, Magnaflow it is, Thanks guys!

Thread Information