Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

exhaust

This is a discussion on exhaust within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by dklowrider youre talking tips, hes talking tailpipes. Okay... Let me go reread this tips vs tailpipes. Originally ...

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

Quote Originally Posted by dklowrider View Post
    youre talking tips, hes talking tailpipes.
    Okay... Let me go reread this tips vs tailpipes.

Quote Originally Posted by znasty View Post
    when i bought my z28 it had a flowmaster on it and only 1 exhaust tip out the back on drivers side. when i asked the guy why only 1 tip he told me that it was better for horsepower and 2 tips was better for the sound. has any one every heard of this or is this just a bunch of BS?

Arctic White
    01 TA / 06 Duc 749D

Go get yourself a Hooker Aero Catback, you won't be disappointed with the sound and flow.

black
    02 vette vert

Quote Originally Posted by chuckie669 View Post
    Okay... Let me go reread this tips vs tailpipes.

read this

not sure i understand the rest of exhaust is stock till you get back to the muffler then its a flowmaster with a single out. why would you keep a single? why not two pipes and is there any truth to what the guy said ^. any one else have a 98 set up like this?
    i got the idea we have a terminology conflict

2000 C5 Torch Red

read this

i got the idea we have a terminology conflict
    I'm sorry DK. I was responding to his original post which mentioned tips, but I did understand that he was referring to the single out pipe from the mufflers. From what I understand the first year of this bodystyle (98) came with the single exit mufflers. I wouldn't see any reason to keep it that way if putting an aftermarket exhaust on unless you wanted to keep it authentic looking.

black
    02 vette vert

I'm sorry DK. I was responding to his original post which mentioned tips, but I did understand that he was referring to the single out pipe from the mufflers. From what I understand the first year of this bodystyle (98) came with the single exit mufflers. I wouldn't see any reason to keep it that way if putting an aftermarket exhaust on unless you wanted to keep it authentic looking.
    yeah, i thought why is he so worried about tips, just go buy some, till i read on. camaros all had the rectangles, and the birds dont look right w/a single tip, unless its oval to fill the space.
    Last edited by dklowrider; 05-25-2009 at 11:17 AM.

2000 C5 Torch Red

yeah, i thought why is he so worried about tips, just go buy some, till i read on. camaros all had the rectangles, and the birds dont look right w/a single tip, unless its oval to fill the space.
    even then, the stock bumper was made for dual exhaust for T/A's (camaros not impacted quite the same) but the only made a single exit on the driver side.

Edit: cool pic
    Last edited by chuckie669; 05-25-2009 at 05:10 PM.

Black
    1998 z28

even then, the stock bumper was made for dual exhaust for T/A's (camaros not impacted quite the same) but the only made a single exit on the driver side.
    Click for full size
    looking at the diagram i can see where the TA would look bad, but even on the camaro it looks different. was there things that was done different on the 98s then 99 and up?

black
    02 vette vert

Click for full size
    wait a minute, now were having a terminology conflict. im talking tips, not tailpipes. i dont know of any 98s with a single exit muffler. y-pipe w/single pipe over the axle to the muffler, dual exit muffler-2 tailpipes. camaros have 2 rectangle tips [outlets] i thought all t/a s had dual outlet tips [4 altogether] from the factory.

black
    02 vette vert

looking at the diagram i can see where the TA would look bad, but even on the camaro it looks different. was there things that was done different on the 98s then 99 and up?
    no.

Black
    1998 z28

no.
    getting a little lost, my first post was just a question to you guys why this would have been set up like it is, and what i was told and asked if it was just some BS.

black
    02 vette vert

getting a little lost, my first post was just a question to you guys why this would have been set up like it is, and what i was told and asked if it was just some BS.
    sorry, youll get used to it. the proper answer to your question is, i think, someone needed exhaust, bought a universal fit flowmaster, put it on however was cheapest, gave you a line of bs to justify it. hows that? wait, i think someone already said that, oh well. and no, your car did not come with a single outlet muffler from the factory.
    Last edited by dklowrider; 05-25-2009 at 05:50 PM.

2000 C5 Torch Red

Sorry about muddying up the thread DK. The page I was reading was about the 98 ws6 only and I mistook it for z's and T/A's also.

Should've known better than try and argue with someone who had a 98 Z.

I'll go away now.

black
    02 vette vert

Sorry about muddying up the thread DK. The page I was reading was about the 98 ws6 only and I mistook it for z's and T/A's also.

Should've known better than try and argue with someone who had a 98 Z.

I'll go away now.
    i think the new member says why would i ask these people a question again.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

I think all of you should re-think exhaust. Single outlet or dual outlet. It makes little difference, because you still have a single exhaust system back to the muffler which has a single or dual outlet. Where the real difference comes in is with real, true dual exhaust. You know, where you have a pipe coming from each bank (NO 'Y' PIPE) (TWO PIPES FROM THE MANIFOLDS OR HEADERS ALL THE WAY OUT THE REAR) Let that great LS-1 engine breath. You just might be surprised at how much horsepower you'll pick up with a true dual system over ANY 'Y' pipe system.

Give me a place to stand. levityinc3's Avatar

Red
    2000 SS '89 IROC-Z

Quote Originally Posted by JEB View Post
    I think all of you should re-think exhaust. Single outlet or dual outlet. It makes little difference, because you still have a single exhaust system back to the muffler which has a single or dual outlet. Where the real difference comes in is with real, true dual exhaust. You know, where you have a pipe coming from each bank (NO 'Y' PIPE) (TWO PIPES FROM THE MANIFOLDS OR HEADERS ALL THE WAY OUT THE REAR) Let that great LS-1 engine breath. You just might be surprised at how much horsepower you'll pick up with a true dual system over ANY 'Y' pipe system.
    True. Although for asthetic purposes a single exhaust is not ideal. IF performance is not his game and/or he does not have the assets available to purchase a true dual exhaust, then it would be a good idea for him to throw a second pipe on there, exiting the resonator out the back.

black
    02 vette vert

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by levityinc3 View Post
    True. Although for asthetic purposes a single exhaust is not ideal. IF performance is not his game and/or he does not have the assets available to purchase a true dual exhaust, then it would be a good idea for him to throw a second pipe on there, exiting the resonator out the back.
    bingo! i think this was all about why is it there and did it come that way. were not talking about what is the best configuration for the best power. thats different. although if you have a large diameter single pipe to the muffler, i think you are restricting flow with one 2.5" outlet compared to two.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information