99 Z28 04 Corvette

Everything needed for header install?

I think I'm going to buy the pacesetter headers on ebay from Speed Inc. They include the headers, off road Y, clamps, o2 extension, fasteners, and gaskets for about $500, looks like a good deal. Does this kit include everything I'll need? It also says they have all the smog hook ups and shit, is this going to be a problem if I ever go with an aftermarket intake? Should I just eliminate all that smog nonsense? I think that's all my questions for now.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

it wont be a problem if you get a different intake, i'd leave all the smog stuff on , because if you take it off you'll get a SES light, untill you can get all the egr codes tuned out.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

i actually just ordered the same headers and y pipe from speed inc. from their site tho FREE SHIPPING

98 Z28 M6

I had the same questions. Would you need 02 simulators?

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by biga0206 View Post
    I had the same questions. Would you need 02 simulators?
    Don't waste your money on O2 simms, they are like $77. You can use the spark plug non-fouler type sim, which basically just screws into the O2 bung, and then the O2 sensor screws into that. It relocates the sensor further away from the exhaust so it doesn't pick up the increased emmissions, but close enough so that it doesn't throw a code for having no exhaust flow. I've used them on a VW Jetta VR6 and a GMC Sierra with LT's and they've worked great both times. They are only about $7 each on eBay.

You can also just have a tuner disable the rear O2 sensors, along with the EGR systems and AIR system. Thats the easiest and most foolproof method.

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 1986camarojoe View Post
    I think I'm going to buy the pacesetter headers on ebay from Speed Inc. They include the headers, off road Y, clamps, o2 extension, fasteners, and gaskets for about $500, looks like a good deal. Does this kit include everything I'll need? It also says they have all the smog hook ups and shit, is this going to be a problem if I ever go with an aftermarket intake? Should I just eliminate all that smog nonsense? I think that's all my questions for now.
    Don't use the gaskets that come with the kit, they are paper, and therefore, crap. Just get some brand new OE metal ones. Those will do the trick.

99 Z28 04 Corvette

The stock gaskets work best? Annndddd I want the race headers without the smog stuff, but will this affect gas mileage or make my car smell like shit?

Awaiting Activation
    The stock gaskets work best? Annndddd I want the race headers without the smog stuff, but will this affect gas mileage or make my car smell like shit?
    yes, gm gaskets are great! And the air egr won't affect the smell much, but having the ory that u mentions will. mmm mmmm love that gas smell - you will think its the 1960's

99 Z28 04 Corvette

ahhh shit, I don't like the gas smell, but It'll be worth the extra power. Should I buy gaskets from the dealership or will the auto parts store work fine?

Awaiting Activation
    the parts store wont have genuine gm parts. Get them online or at the dealer. An cats. vs. not cats is not a big different in power on lightly modded cars. Maybe 3-5hp so if you hate the smell - get cats.

99 Z28 04 Corvette

I plan on doing a lot more modding, and my SES light is already on, my mechanic told me it was one of the cats, so I'll probably do away with em. Won't it be a lot louder without cats?

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

No, it won't be a lot louder. I doubt that most people can tell the difference in sound between a catted setup and the same setup without cats.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

I plan on doing a lot more modding, and my SES light is already on, my mechanic told me it was one of the cats, so I'll probably do away with em. Won't it be a lot louder without cats?
    The Longtubes are what really make it louder, not so much that the cats are gone. However, I think you would still be able to notice a definite sound difference between a car with cats and a car without.

Thread Information