Red
    98 Camaro Z/28

Engine Noise with new headers

I just put a set of Pace Setter long tubes and a ORY on my 98 Camaro, it sounds awsome but I was wondering if it is normal to hear more engine noise with this set up. I can hear a lot more air flowing through and a little more valve train noise. I might just be overthinking things but I just want to know if any of you guys have noticed this in your cars. Thanks for the help.

To me this is normal. The cast iron manifolds help suppress these noises. With the headers they are more pronounced.

Tom is correct. You are hearing the combustion process more than likely.

Thick cast iron manifolds are there to supress these noises and keep the car comfy and quiet for customers

White
    98 Trans AM

You should also check to make sure all your header bolts are tight. I know that can be an issue and when one comes loose it can also when under acceleration sort of sound like a lifter ticking. For that matter it would probably be worth just doing a check of all the header / exhaust bolts to make sure they are tight.
    98 T/A: HPE 5.3 Heads, 238/242 113 cam, Kooks 1 7/8 stepped LT headers, Custom Y pipe, Cut out, Borla, NW 90MM TB, FAST 90MM Intake, TB Bypass, Under Drive Power steering and Crank, 150 Dry NOS, Yella Terra rockers, 3400 TC, HPE tuning,

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

Checking the bolts after a few hot cold cycles is always a good thing after header installs. I torqued mine to spec and never looked back. After putting the coils back on there is no way I'm going to go back in there

The extra noise is most likley what they said above. I noticed alot more "engine" noise too. Also if you changed the extra flow thru bigger pipes under you is carrying more noise.

Slow Passenger Window - Want Passenger Express Down - Tired of Replacing DayTime Running Light Bulbs

Camaro Owners Click Here
    Firebird Owners Click Here

Need instructions to replace your F-Body window motor?
    www.AutoTrix.net

Black
    2001 SS

If your headers aren't tight, and there is even a small exhaust leak you will hear it. Mine had a small leak when I installed them, and it was annoying as hell. Tightened up the bolts and the noise was gone. Besides that, I did notice I could hear what sounds like air flowing through as described above.

Red
    98 Camaro Z/28

I'm happy to hear that this is a common thing. Some of the bolts were not super tight, I tightened them up a bit but I still can hear the same things so I guessing that this is normal. Thanks for your help guys.

By the way how much HP are you guys picking up with the headder and ORY??

Black
    98' Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 98 Z/28 View Post
    I'm happy to hear that this is a common thing. Some of the bolts were not super tight, I tightened them up a bit but I still can hear the same things so I guessing that this is normal. Thanks for your help guys.

By the way how much HP are you guys picking up with the headder and ORY??

well im stock besides the headder and ORY and befor them i ran constant 9.05 in the 1/8 and after i put them on i am running 8.96 almost everytime, made it real good and constant for bracket racing

Thread Information