Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Electric cut out or manual ?

I have stock exaust and I am getting a cut out. Which is best ? what are the costs part/labor ? where to buy ? if non sponsor please pm

Where is the best postion to install them ? single ? dual ?
    Last edited by Speedy_Gonzales; 10-15-2007 at 03:34 PM.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

found one on a ws6.....sounds good

Red
    2000 SS

If it were me I would get a manual and put it in the i-pipe right before it goes over the axel. Perfect spot for one. I had one on my 95 Z28 and my 99 Z28. I got the manual and I am glad I did. I never closed the thing so an electric would have been a waste of money. That and the fact that the manual takes maybe a minute to unbolt and two minutes to put back together. I bought the summitt racing cutout for my previous cars at about $30 shipped, then had an exhaust shop weld it up for another $20. Best $50 I ever spent on those cars. For my SS I bought a QTP stainless manual cutout because the rest of my exhaust is stainless.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by RedRocketZ28 View Post
    If it were me I would get a manual and put it in the i-pipe right before it goes over the axel. Perfect spot for one. I had one on my 95 Z28 and my 99 Z28. I got the manual and I am glad I did. I never closed the thing so an electric would have been a waste of money. That and the fact that the manual takes maybe a minute to unbolt and two minutes to put back together. I bought the summitt racing cutout for my previous cars at about $30 shipped, then had an exhaust shop weld it up for another $20. Best $50 I ever spent on those cars. For my SS I bought a QTP stainless manual cutout because the rest of my exhaust is stainless.

so the cut out was not so loud that the cops would give u a ticket ?

Red
    2000 SS

Not at all. It is loud, don't get me wrong. With stock manifolds and cats though it is very bearable. I never once got a look from a cop.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Not at all. It is loud, don't get me wrong. With stock manifolds and cats though it is very bearable. I never once got a look from a cop.

ok thanks for the heads up...........I bet WOT is really loud I cant wait till I get mine !!!!!!!!

Red
    2000 SS

No problem man. Yes, WOT is nice . Hope you enjoy your cutout as much as I do. I will installing LT's and an ORY here soon though. Hopefully I will still love the cutout just as much.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

No problem man. Yes, WOT is nice . Hope you enjoy your cutout as much as I do. I will installing LT's and an ORY here soon though. Hopefully I will still love the cutout just as much.

I think I might get 2 if I go manual

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

are they legal ???? well guess they cant be lol

Red
    2000 SS

One would be just fine. Not really a good spot to put two on the stock y-pipe.

Silver
    2002 Z28

Beyond that, if you're going with two, you'll want to put them up right by the cats, and it'll be way too loud to just drive around with them open. A) it will get annoying, and B) you will get ticketed if lucky, impounded if not.

Electric is the way to go.
    She's baaaaaccccck...

'02 Z/28 M6 Hardtop

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

What is your purpose?
    Are you trying to gain power if so you are looking in the wrong direction!
    Unless you just want some obnoxious noise you will see more bt addind a complete free flowing system.
    You could possiable with the cut out if it was dyno with it open but then your car will run like shit when closed.....................So you tell me is it worth it in my book NO.
    It's 2007 there are plenty of good choices which will make more plus sound 20X times better.
    But what do I know put 2 cut outs and it will be soooooooooo fucking loud you'de have to at least 25 hp. That's how the import world works also with the Folgers coffee can tips.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    What is your purpose?
    Are you trying to gain power if so you are looking in the wrong direction!
    Unless you just want some obnoxious noise you will see more bt addind a complete free flowing system.
    You could possiable with the cut out if it was dyno with it open but then your car will run like shit when closed.....................So you tell me is it worth it in my book NO.
    It's 2007 there are plenty of good choices which will make more plus sound 20X times better.
    But what do I know put 2 cut outs and it will be soooooooooo fucking loud you'de have to at least 25 hp. That's how the import world works also with the Folgers coffee can tips.

looking for louder sound....and if I could get that with only a cut out that would be much cheaper than a new catback

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedAddict38 View Post
    looking for louder sound....and if I could get that with only a cut out that would be much cheaper than a new catback
    You guys don't have emissions inspection do you?

Red
    2000 SS

You have nothing to lose really with a cutout. You will pick up some power and some sound. I liked the way mine sounded. The car felt stronger up top as well. Try a cheap cutout. If you don't like it, then you are out $50. You will more than likely enjoy the sound though.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

you can get away with a manual cutout until you lose the cats and add headers, I ran mine open 24/7 when I was on stock manifolds and had cats. !cats and headers with my cutout open will make your ears bleed and you'll definitely want a good way to close it off. I like mine for the sheer fun factor. It's one of my favorite things on the car. I love being at a light and having someone rev at me then hitting the switch and letting them hear cam lope through open headers. fun stuff

Metallic Pewter
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    you can get away with a manual cutout until you lose the cats and add headers, I ran mine open 24/7 when I was on stock manifolds and had cats. !cats and headers with my cutout open will make your ears bleed and you'll definitely want a good way to close it off. I like mine for the sheer fun factor. It's one of my favorite things on the car. I love being at a light and having someone rev at me then hitting the switch and letting them hear cam lope through open headers. fun stuff
    Exactly, totally agree with above. Same thing here for exhaust and love it

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Thats what i did and im running lt's and ory and to be honest i love the sound, Have never closed it, took me several catbacks tryin to find the sound i liked and for a 20 dollar cutout i was in love.
    depends on the sound ur looking for
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Way back when we used to drive around all the time with open headers. We even had crude cutouts back then that were cable operated, but they always leaked.

Nowadays they are made much better and seal up tight. I run a pair of them on 3 different cars. I have always been old school and love the sound. Back then there was no such thing as running your car down the strip with an exhaust system,,,,an exhaust what? lol.

Even after tuning my cars through the exhaust systems I still find that the cutouts give me another 1/10th or so and usually 1-2 mph. Thats with a real dual exhaust system, 3 inch mandrel bends with Dr. Gas X-pipe etc....

The electric cutouts nowadays are pretty neat, but I just can't swallow the price tag, I would need 6 of them.
    I just decide whether or not I want the headers open that day, crawl under the car and uncap it, takes 2 minutes, then I just enjoy the car all day with open headers. Never been pulled over for it, and even driven past cops with open headers. Just lucky I guess, been doing it for years.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    You guys don't have emissions inspection do you?

nope

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information