Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By blackcar
  • 1 Post By Letzride

!EGR and !AIR delete with emission?

This is a discussion on !EGR and !AIR delete with emission? within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I'm getting ebay headers: ( Speed Engineering LS1 Camaro Firebird Longtube Headers 1 7 8" Race Version | eBay ) ...

!EGR and !AIR delete with emission?

I'm getting ebay headers:

(Speed Engineering LS1 Camaro Firebird Longtube Headers 1 7 8" Race Version | eBay)

and TSP catted but with the headers there is no AIR and EGR fittings so I would like to delete them with a tune (Prob by mail-order tune from Frost). Will I be able to pass emissions without the AIR and EGR when I tune them out so they wont throw codes?
    Thanks

Pewter
    2002 WS6 TA

Throwing a code and passing emissions are not really the same, at least
    in this instance...

The code would be thrown if the computer sees that the stuff is missing
    so the tune will delete those but as far as emissions go, i understand it
    is different from state to stae but it will be dependant on your cat set up.

Mine just just passed our rather strict emissions test with Magnaflow
    hi flow cats and a Magnaflow rear muffler so i see no reason why
    you would not?!

Last edited by speedyWS6; 10-09-2014 at 12:47 AM.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

It all depends upon the nature of your inspection. If they do a visual and notice the missing components, then you may not pass. I ditched our secondary air and rear O2 senders, but have high flow Kooks cats under the car, so I am at least partially legal. The tune, in addition to adjusting for your improved airflow through the engine, will simply turn off error reporting for those systems and this keeps the SES light off.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

I am not 100% with NC but I don't believe they are more strict than Northern VA and I pass here full aftermarket exhaust with no egr or air fittings. Here they just run your car for 15 minutes check for codes. They may check for an excess amount of pollution but a tune will cure that with or without cats. They don't care if your exhaust is factory only that you have cats or something that appears as such which I would think NC is similar. What I am saying is you probably will be fine as long as you get the codes tuned out since I am pretty sure they don't check for those components only that you aren't throwing emissions codes.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    . . . partially legal. . .
    that sounds like lawyer talk
    pajeff02 likes this.

SOM

Depends on the inspection you have and then how the car is tuned. They can tune out the codes without throwing your car into a "ready" state which is needed to pass emissions.

The short answer- if you are OBD2 tested and no visual inspection- yes, if tuned properly, you will pass emissions.

If frost doesn't do it, you'll need to find someone with hptuners and do this:

Readiness sensor tuning

Takes about 5-10 minutes.

SOM

And I need another coffee for responding to a thread that was a month old lol
    RONS98TA likes this.

pewter
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Azchan63 View Post
    I'm getting ebay headers:

(Speed Engineering LS1 Camaro Firebird Longtube Headers 1 7 8" Race Version | eBay)

and TSP catted but with the headers there is no AIR and EGR fittings so I would like to delete them with a tune (Prob by mail-order tune from Frost). Will I be able to pass emissions without the AIR and EGR when I tune them out so they wont throw codes?
    Thanks
    Did you make it through the emission testing. I just moved to the area and am looking at doing something similar.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

If you get lucky and the shop doesn't do visual you will be fine if it's tuned correctly. Problem here in greensboro is that state highway patrol does random checks and pulls cars they think shouldn't have passed right outside shops. Most shops will do a visual especially if it's a chain. North Carolina just seems to be about who you know to get passed. Find a friend in a shop you like and hope they don't care about doing visual inspections.
    Last edited by raynor139; 02-08-2015 at 09:35 AM.
    Mods - Lid, Skip Shift Eliminator, MGW shifter, UMI SFCs, Founders Lower Control Arms, Founders Panhard Bar, Founders Adj. Torque Arm, UMI Torque arm mount, MWC Drive shaft safety loop, KONI Yellows, Strano Springs, Strano Sway bars, UMI Upper and lower A Arms, 160 thermostat, TSP headers and TSP true duals Monster stage 2 clutch, racetronix fuel pump, Strange S60 rear axle and tune by Frost.

Thread Information