Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Edelbrock Cat Back.

This is a discussion on Edelbrock Cat Back. within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Is it worth it? Its one of the cheaper systems out there. If not then what is the best cheap ...

  1. #1
    Junior Member svmetalman09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    5

    Edelbrock Cat Back.

    Is it worth it? Its one of the cheaper systems out there. If not then what is the best cheap catback? The only reason i ask is it kinda looks like that gawd
    awful Flowmaster system.

    -Joe

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    15
    i had it on my 97 3.8 it sounded good IMO not that quiet either. it is similar to the crossflow-master but i think it flows a little better. tips are hideous and loooooong. if you get it id recommend buying some new ones unless you like em BIG

  3. #3
    Senior Member GULLETT17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Muncie, IN
    Posts
    2,554

    00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

    wondering the same thing. . . never really heard many people say they have it

  4. #4
    Firebird Encyclopedia 9T8W66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    St. Clair Shores. Michigan
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,605

    Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

    I think people stay away from it because the I pipe sizes are the same as stock.
    Again theres nothing wrong with a Flowmaster system except the 80 series dual outlet crossflow muffler. A 2 chamber 40 series is the way to go.
    Too many people are wrapped up in how a system looks vs how it performs.
    A Single in Single out system will always out perform a single in dual out system esp. when a muffler is involved. people just got to get over not having 2 tips.
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

    Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

  5. #5
    Senior Member M-Ten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    St. Pete, Florida
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,210

    Silver+Black/Black+Silver
    1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

    Quote Originally Posted by 9T8W66 View Post
    I think people stay away from it because the I pipe sizes are the same as stock.
    Again theres nothing wrong with a Flowmaster system except the 80 series dual outlet crossflow muffler. A 2 chamber 40 series is the way to go.
    Too many people are wrapped up in how a system looks vs how it performs.
    A Single in Single out system will always out perform a single in dual out system esp. when a muffler is involved. people just got to get over not having 2 tips.
    Just buy some corsa clones..problem fixed

  6. #6
    Firebird Encyclopedia 9T8W66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    St. Clair Shores. Michigan
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,605

    Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

    Quote Originally Posted by M-Ten View Post
    Just buy some corsa clones..problem fixed
    I was talking about one big tip on the left like this


  7. #7
    Senior Member M-Ten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    St. Pete, Florida
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,210

    Silver+Black/Black+Silver
    1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

    oh ok..

    well a dual in dual out system would be even better than that (x pipe vs y pipe)

  8. #8
    Firebird Encyclopedia 9T8W66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    St. Clair Shores. Michigan
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,605

    Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

    Quote Originally Posted by M-Ten View Post
    oh ok..

    well a dual in dual out system would be even better than that (x pipe vs y pipe)
    Dual in Dual out single muffler systems were used back in the late 60's and early 70's on F-bodies. And yes obviuosly a true dual set up would be better but IMO it sacrifices too much ground clearance. There is a Local shop around Me that will custom make a true dual to fit in the standard location of the original catbacks, problem is that it's NOT mandrel bent and the mufflers are right at the back of the car. There was also some talk over on Tech long ago about how a larger traditional Ypipe setup can outflow a true dual set up.

  9. #9
    Senior Member M-Ten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    St. Pete, Florida
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,210

    Silver+Black/Black+Silver
    1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

    I'm getting a custom job done this upcoming week or next, depending on when all the parts arrive.. but he's doing a true dual over the axle mandrel bent for $300.. also he's putting on the corsa tips too

  10. #10
    Senior Member M-Ten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    St. Pete, Florida
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,210

    Silver+Black/Black+Silver
    1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

    and i don't see how a y pipe could outflow a true dual set up

  11. #11
    Firebird Encyclopedia 9T8W66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    St. Clair Shores. Michigan
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,605

    Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

    Quote Originally Posted by M-Ten View Post
    and i don't see how a y pipe could outflow a true dual set up
    Depends on the pipe sizes and efficiency, true dual setups have more bends vs a Single 4" pipe.

  12. #12
    Senior Member M-Ten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    St. Pete, Florida
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,210

    Silver+Black/Black+Silver
    1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

    hmm maybe you're right lol

  13. #13
    Senior Member GULLETT17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Muncie, IN
    Posts
    2,554

    00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

    Quote Originally Posted by 9T8W66 View Post
    I think people stay away from it because the I pipe sizes are the same as stock.
    Again theres nothing wrong with a Flowmaster system except the 80 series dual outlet crossflow muffler. A 2 chamber 40 series is the way to go.
    Too many people are wrapped up in how a system looks vs how it performs.
    A Single in Single out system will always out perform a single in dual out system esp. when a muffler is involved. people just got to get over not having 2 tips.
    So how does the edelbrock perform compaired to other aftermarket catbacks (muffler systems ie magnflow, hooker)?

    So does a 2 chamber 40 series performs as well as other aftermarket catbacks(muffler systems ie magnflow, hooker)?

    Well hell if a single in single out performs better and someone is concerned with performance and appearance . . .why not just put one funtional exhaust outlet and one false outlet . . easy fix to me! lol
    Last edited by GULLETT17; 01-02-2008 at 07:14 AM.

  14. #14
    Senior Member M-Ten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    St. Pete, Florida
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,210

    Silver+Black/Black+Silver
    1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

    he's the only person i know that's said a single is the best.. so maybe it's true, maybe it's not

  15. #15
    Firebird Encyclopedia 9T8W66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    St. Clair Shores. Michigan
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,605

    Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

    Quote Originally Posted by M-Ten View Post
    he's the only person i know that's said a single is the best.. so maybe it's true, maybe it's not
    Anybody thats been dealing with these car long enough can tell you that a single in/out system is better because it has less turbulence inside the muffler. Obviously a LM or GMMG set up is uneffected because they don't really have a Muffler.
    Like I said before most people shy away from single out setups cause they can't get over having one exhaust tip.
    The Old SLP DOTL system is very similar to what I'm talking about also but it has 2 2.5" tips on the left and a straight thru muffler.
    Heres a pic of the Mufflex 3.5" SOTL set up

  16. #16
    Senior Member M-Ten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    St. Pete, Florida
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,210

    Silver+Black/Black+Silver
    1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

    right but it's still not better than a true dual set up

  17. #17
    2004 HEAD/CAM CTS-V 9t8z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    doylestown, Pa
    Posts
    6,818

    SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

    Quote Originally Posted by 9T8W66 View Post
    Anybody thats been dealing with these car long enough can tell you that a single in/out system is better because it has less turbulence inside the muffler. Obviously a LM or GMMG set up is uneffected because they don't really have a Muffler.
    Like I said before most people shy away from single out setups cause they can't get over having one exhaust tip.
    The Old SLP DOTL system is very similar to what I'm talking about also but it has 2 2.5" tips on the left and a straight thru muffler.
    Heres a pic of the Mufflex 3.5" SOTL set up
    Click for full size

    Where is your proof that a specific Y-pipe setup flows better than a TD setup?
    Did you forget about X-pipes and what they do?

  18. #18
    Senior Member M-Ten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    St. Pete, Florida
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,210

    Silver+Black/Black+Silver
    1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

    Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    Where is your proof that a specific Y-pipe setup flows better than a TD setup?
    Did you forget about X-pipes and what they do?
    that's what i'm trying to say

  19. #19
    Firebird Encyclopedia 9T8W66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    St. Clair Shores. Michigan
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,605

    Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

    Well now that this thread has been completely hijacked.
    Like I said before it is dependant on Pipe sizes and efficiency
    Obviuosly a dual 3" setup will out flow a single 4" but at what costs ?
    I don't see to many dual 3" systems that exit at the rear bumper and don't sacrifice some ground clearance.

  20. #20
    2004 HEAD/CAM CTS-V 9t8z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    doylestown, Pa
    Posts
    6,818

    SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

    Quote Originally Posted by 9T8W66 View Post
    Well now that this thread has been completely hijacked.
    Like I said before it is dependant on Pipe sizes and efficiency
    Obviuosly a dual 3" setup will out flow a single 4" but at what costs ?
    I don't see to many dual 3" systems that exit at the rear bumper and don't sacrifice some ground clearance.
    Actually you claimed that a y-pipe setup flowes better than a TD setup? Now you are claiming that a Y-pipe setup is better than a TD setup because of ground clearance. Which one is it?
    Last edited by 9t8z28; 01-03-2008 at 05:10 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. WTB: Edelbrock
    By XRUFFX in forum Parts Wanted / Trade
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-30-2010, 04:08 AM
  2. edelbrock cam
    By blackz28ls1 in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-29-2008, 08:27 PM
  3. Edelbrock ORY-- NIB
    By 98_Formula in forum Parts For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-16-2006, 06:41 PM
  4. Edelbrock TQ arm
    By third_shift|studios in forum Suspension and Handling
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-24-2006, 09:36 PM
  5. Edelbrock Cat-back 93-95 LT1 - Dallas
    By eggo in forum Parts For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-11-2005, 12:21 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •