pewter
    99 Trans Am

Is it easier to remove spark plugs with headers

I plan on getting some Pacesetter headers this spring and was wondering if the plug changing will be any better?I also plan on getting a custom tune from TSP, and also a shift kit, Trango.I don't just want the line pressure adjusted like some have said, but a real shift kit.What performance will I feel by doing this, and would you do shift kit Or line pressure adjustment?

hugger orange

headers shouldn't make it any harder to change your plugs.
    I'm still running my stock tranny without a shift kit. I zeroed out all shift delay and raised my shift pressures a good bit (still max out at 90psi). shifts great, solid and hard as hell even with the 2,800 stall.
    if you are going to do a tranny upgrade I'd go for a Beast clutch basket and heavier sprag

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

worth noting that shift kits work on the mechanical side of things..where it raises the line pressure..that is how it shifts firmer to add longevity to the internal parts...so while it "ups line pressure"..it does so mechanically which is fine..within reason..most shiftkits now..like the transgo hd2 ..will be adjustable..i will suggest that you dont really play around with 3-4 shifts..as its our OD and shouldnt be messed with...so then you have on the "electrical" side..aka tunning..where you can play with the delays ect..i would also suggest that you use both tunning and a shift kit together...but YOU must understand that in all reality..a shift kit and a tune do two different things..that might get you the same outcome

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    worth noting that shift kits work on the mechanical side of things..where it raises the line pressure..that is how it shifts firmer to add longevity to the internal parts...so while it "ups line pressure"..it does so mechanically which is fine..within reason..most shiftkits now..like the transgo hd2 ..will be adjustable..i will suggest that you dont really play around with 3-4 shifts..as its our OD and shouldnt be messed with...so then you have on the "electrical" side..aka tunning..where you can play with the delays ect..i would also suggest that you use both tunning and a shift kit together...but YOU must understand that in all reality..a shift kit and a tune do two different things..that might get you the same outcome
    very well put.
    I've seen people go with just a shift kit, and I've seen people go with just tuning. some have no problems and great gains for years.....but some destroy their tranny in no time.(i think go too far without building tranny to take it) it to blame

Light Pewter Metallic
    2K Camaro Z28

I got mine tuned for my stall: shift ext, line pres and shift points.

2K LPM Z28 M6- GMHTP StreetHeat feature Nov 12- Camaro Performers Readers' Rides feature Nov 12
    2K4 BS G35 sedan 5AT

I find it a little easier with headers to do the spark plugs.

As for the transmission. I bought HPtuner so I could diagnose the car and tune it as well.
    So for me it just made sense for the time being to simply adjust the line pressures and shift times to get the feel I wanted out of the transmission since I already had the tuning software.

Quite frankly though I am simply waiting to see if this transmission will hold the abuse I have planned for it so I don't want to spend money on shift kits and such until the transmission lets go.

When that happens I will build accordingly and add the shift kit at that time. For now the tuning software is doing a nice job.

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsMac Silver Streak's Avatar

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

Yes, it was easier after installing my Pacesetter longtubes to get at the plugs.. easier on the slicing up on the hands too.

Also did a 3600 stall with a transgo shiftkit, then got it tuned. Love it. But I have heard that upping the line pressure can lead to premature failure... just fyi.
    -Geno
    1983 Black WS6 "WindCharger"
    1987 Black WS6 "WS87"
    2002 Black WS6 "Silver Streak"
    Sold the other four f-bodies

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Streak View Post
    Also did a 3600 stall with a transgo shiftkit, then got it tuned. Love it. But I have heard that upping the line pressure can lead to premature failure... just fyi.
    Well I wouldn't recommend upping the line pressure in the tune if you already have the shift kit installed, since assentially thats what you've done already.
    But there are many fast 4th gens out there running dependably with just simple line pressure adjustments in the tune. REL3RD is one I can think of.
    And he runs the car with no mercy.

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsMac Silver Streak's Avatar

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Well I wouldn't recommend upping the line pressure in the tune if you already have the shift kit installed, since assentially thats what you've done already.
    But there are many fast 4th gens out there running dependably with just simple line pressure adjustments in the tune. REL3RD is one I can think of.
    And he runs the car with no mercy.
    I can't complain with mine, stall, 373s, shiftkit, dual exhaust and headers.. with the tune ran 12.1.

Someday I'll touch the engine...

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

plugs will be a ton easier with headers, and a ton easier on your hands too... with a lil practice you should be able to change a set in 30 min

Black
    2001 Camaro SS Vert

Quote Originally Posted by suede View Post
    plugs will be a ton easier with headers, and a ton easier on your hands too... with a lil practice you should be able to change a set in 30 min
    X2 much better access to the plugs with headers... no heat shields in the way.

Thread Information