Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

E3 plugs

This is a discussion on E3 plugs within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Although there is performance to be had. Ever heard of indexing?? Something that Smokey found in the 60's. Washers are ...

Although there is performance to be had. Ever heard of indexing?? Something that Smokey found in the 60's.
    Washers are made for this, to get the open end of the electrode facing the top of the piston, for better flame travel. Another trick is to cut back the ground strap to expose some of the elextrode,,,also promotes better flame travel. The Autolite race plugs come this way. But it's easy to trim them back on your own, I generally do this myself.

Heat ranges play a big factor,,,and can soley be used as a tuning tool...

Ever change heat ranges and watch your wideband change?? Heat ranges can make differences in what you run for timing tables, fuel mixture or (AFR) as well.

These little tricks I mentioned affect even a stockish car.

ok there a lot of people on here that would recommend autolite. i was online looking at them and i found fram autolite. now are these the same?

i would have to guess no since the price difference is so drastic but i thought i would double check

2000 ss/1994 z28/1979 z28

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    No, it can't.

A better spark will create more complete combustion and therefore more power and better fuel economy.

A shitty ignition system will not have the power to run a performance engine. Weak spark causes power loss, misfires, and higher emmissions, which is a lose-lose. You want a high voltage spark with a large flame front, which is why our engines use 8 individual coils and have a stock gap of .060".

There is so much information on spark plugs you could be reading for hours. Heat range, manufacturer, electrode gap, electrode materials, ect. Just because it makes a spark doesn't mean its efficient or ideal.
    +1

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by hotride3021 View Post
    ok there a lot of people on here that would recommend autolite. i was online looking at them and i found fram autolite. now are these the same?

i would have to guess no since the price difference is so drastic but i thought i would double check
    Fram Autolite?? Never heard of that...

What is done to your car?? If you are changing heat ranges, Autolites can be beneficial. For a stock or bolt on car, I'd go with AC Delcos any day of the week.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

Quote Originally Posted by hotride3021 View Post

What you found is that FRAM is a division of Autolite. Has been for many years. They are both owned by Honeywell. As is Bendix and Prestone.

What you found is that FRAM is a division of Autolite. Has been for many years. They are both owned by Honeywell. As is Bendix and Prestone.
    thanks for clearing that up for me

Fram Autolite?? Never heard of that...

What is done to your car?? If you are changing heat ranges, Autolites can be beneficial. For a stock or bolt on car, I'd go with AC Delcos any day of the week.
    just a few bolt-ons thats it

thanks for the advice

yellow
    2002 Z06

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Z28_Driver View Post
    Yes, what he said!!
    Some people like NGK's as they find them easier to read, I like Autolites, been using them for a long time in multiple applications.
    Spark plug indexing does give you a little more power, specially in higher dome smaller or less efficient combustion chambers. It is easy HP!

Black
    2002 SS camaro

NGK TR55 work good for me.

I figured out what the miss was in my motor, I had 2 bad o2 sensors an they weren't sending a single to the computer. I changed them out car runs great (without a tune) I'm not running it hard by no means but I'm getting it tuned today so I can't wait to see how it pulls!

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by 02_slp_ss View Post
    NGK TR55 work good for me.

I figured out what the miss was in my motor, I had 2 bad o2 sensors an they weren't sending a single to the computer. I changed them out car runs great (without a tune) I'm not running it hard by no means but I'm getting it tuned today so I can't wait to see how it pulls!
    Good luck with the tune!
    Where are you taking it for the tune, is he doing a dyno tune or street tune?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information