Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 49

E3 plugs

This is a discussion on E3 plugs within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Mr. Luos once it is tuned. And never use a plug with more than one 'prong' or ...

  1. #21
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    once it is tuned.

    And never use a plug with more than one 'prong' or whatever they call it.


    That would be the ground strap or ground electrode.

  2. #22
    Slow'er'Ass Mr. Luos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornton, CO
    Posts
    23,785

    Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    That would be the ground strap or ground electrode.
    Electrode came to mind...but I wasn't sure.
    Freaking tired today.

  3. #23
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Posts
    26

    white
    1995 Firebird

    Plugs are plugs. If they spark, that's all you need them to do. A "small" spark can create the ignition u need, just like a "big" spark.

  4. #24
    Senior Member Z28_Driver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,017

    Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    And never use a plug with more than one 'prong' or whatever they call it.
    Why?

  5. #25
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Posts
    26

    white
    1995 Firebird

    Cause the more protrusions u have in the way of the air/fuel mixture, the less chance u have of getting a "good" ignition.

  6. #26
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by davidlb512 View Post
    Plugs are plugs. If they spark, that's all you need them to do. A "small" spark can create the ignition u need, just like a "big" spark.
    There is alot more to it than that. Alot.

  7. #27
    The Bandit Wesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,033

    SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by davidlb512 View Post
    Plugs are plugs. If they spark, that's all you need them to do. A "small" spark can create the ignition u need, just like a "big" spark.
    No, it can't.

    A better spark will create more complete combustion and therefore more power and better fuel economy.

    A shitty ignition system will not have the power to run a performance engine. Weak spark causes power loss, misfires, and higher emmissions, which is a lose-lose. You want a high voltage spark with a large flame front, which is why our engines use 8 individual coils and have a stock gap of .060".

    There is so much information on spark plugs you could be reading for hours. Heat range, manufacturer, electrode gap, electrode materials, ect. Just because it makes a spark doesn't mean its efficient or ideal.
    Last edited by Wesman; 01-19-2010 at 02:57 PM.

  8. #28
    sick & twisted SS 02_slp_ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Chambersburg PA
    Age
    29
    Posts
    356

    Black
    2002 SS camaro

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    I am willing to bet the misfire wasn't the E3 plugs you put in now that I saw your other thread about the cam install.
    Get your car tuned before putting in A GOOD plug in. Get AutoLite AR103's once it is tuned.

    And never use a plug with more than one 'prong' or whatever they call it.


    Bosch is terrible.
    well see i put them plugs in a long time befor i had my cam in i just never posted about it an thought i would, the car is getting tuned tomorrow
    MS3 cam, harland sharp 1.7, pac 1518 sprins, ported 241 heads, LT, 3in E-cutout, Ram stage 2 clutch, 13 lb fly wheel. << 443rwhp 451rwtq>>

  9. #29
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    No, it can't.

    A better spark will create more complete combustion and therefore more power and better fuel economy.

    A shitty ignition system will not have the power to run a performance engine. Weak spark causes power loss, misfires, and higher emmissions, which is a lose-lose. You want a high voltage spark with a large flame front, which is why our engines use 8 individual coils and have a stock gap of .060".

    There is so much information on spark plugs you could be reading for hours. Heat range, manufacturer, electrode gap, electrode materials, ect. Just because it makes a spark doesn't mean its efficient or ideal.
    Thanks Wes, I wasn't sure I felt like typing all that,,,lol. There is so much to spark plugs it's almost boring to some people.
    There have been books about plugs, and plug tech going back as far as "Smokey" which makes for some very interesting reading.
    Reading some of it will make ya think twice before just throwing in any old set of plugs you can find on your next tuneup.

  10. #30
    cutting and welding mark21742's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    mercersburg pa
    Posts
    6,443

    hugger orange
    2004

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Thanks Wes, I wasn't sure I felt like typing all that,,,lol. There is so much to spark plugs it's almost boring to some people.
    There have been books about plugs, and plug tech going back as far as "Smokey" which makes for some very interesting reading.
    Reading some of it will make ya think twice before just throwing in any old set of plugs you can find on your next tuneup.
    That's why I stick to the autolite 103s

  11. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,083

    SOM
    2002 SS

    I've used tons of different plugs and the main difference will be in the heat ranges and how fast they foul up. I've used all the iridiums and the +4s etc and theyre all the SAME because they all do the same job.

    A lot of people change worn and fouled plugs with new ones and whichever brand they choose they tell everyone 'OH WHAT A DIFFERENCE'. It's really a difference between a worn/fouled vs new they're just too stupid to realize.

    Now im my personal opinion the plugs that stayed the 'cleanest' or at least were at the best heat range in my stroker motor were Nology Silvers. Odd I dont think theyre available anymore but when I was swapping and checking plugs often on the same tune they really stayed clean. They all worked just as well to the sotp meter

  12. #32
    Slow'er'Ass Mr. Luos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornton, CO
    Posts
    23,785

    Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

    Quote Originally Posted by 5abivt View Post
    I've used tons of different plugs and the main difference will be in the heat ranges and how fast they foul up. I've used all the iridiums and the +4s etc and theyre all the SAME because they all do the same job.

    A lot of people change worn and fouled plugs with new ones and whichever brand they choose they tell everyone 'OH WHAT A DIFFERENCE'. It's really a difference between a worn/fouled vs new they're just too stupid to realize
    Point 1....
    I do not agree with.

    Point 2....
    I agree with.

  13. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,083

    SOM
    2002 SS

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Point 1....
    I do not agree with.

    Point 2....
    I agree with.
    I guess I should have said they all perform the same function instead of 'they are the same'. On a stock motor the slight differences in heat range will not be noticeable.

    Many times I have seen people say their cars stutter and dont idle as smooth with certain 'gimmick' plugs and when I pull the plugs and check them its because the gaps were wrong.

  14. #34
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Point 1....
    I do not agree with.

    Point 2....
    I agree with.
    Exactly.

    Point 2 I can see happening. But in the first point, plugs are definately not the same and absolutely do not all do the same job.

  15. #35
    Senior Member Z28_Driver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,017

    Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

    Sound like some of the members on here have a lot of knowledge on spark plugs. For a 2002 with a few bolt ons what plug would you reccomend?

  16. #36
    cutting and welding mark21742's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    mercersburg pa
    Posts
    6,443

    hugger orange
    2004

    Quote Originally Posted by Z28_Driver View Post
    Sound like some of the members on here have a lot of knowledge on spark plugs. For a 2002 with a few bolt ons what plug would you reccomend?
    Autolite 103 or 104

  17. #37
    Slow'er'Ass Mr. Luos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornton, CO
    Posts
    23,785

    Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

    Quote Originally Posted by Z28_Driver View Post
    Sound like some of the members on here have a lot of knowledge on spark plugs. For a 2002 with a few bolt ons what plug would you reccomend?
    One of three.

    AutoLite AR103's
    Delco's (not sure on the part number)
    NGK TR55's

  18. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,083

    SOM
    2002 SS

    Quote Originally Posted by Z28_Driver View Post
    Sound like some of the members on here have a lot of knowledge on spark plugs. For a 2002 with a few bolt ons what plug would you reccomend?
    Almost anything at your preferred auto parts store that is the part # for your car. On a close to stock car you will not notice a difference as long as they are gapped correctly.

  19. #39
    The Bandit Wesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,033

    SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by Z28_Driver View Post
    Sound like some of the members on here have a lot of knowledge on spark plugs. For a 2002 with a few bolt ons what plug would you reccomend?
    AC Delco, all day long.

  20. #40
    Slow'er'Ass Mr. Luos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornton, CO
    Posts
    23,785

    Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

    Quote Originally Posted by 5abivt View Post
    On a close to stock car you will not notice a difference as long as they are gapped correctly.
    Shouldn't notice a difference between any plugs as long as you got the proper heat range for you application.
    And didn't buy into the gimmick plugs.


    Simply put...plugs are a maintenance item.
    If you replace your brakes with OE pads before they are worn, you shouldn't notice a change in the braking power.
    Same goes for plugs. They are NOT a performance part.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. plugs and cam
    By blk_jaws in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-17-2008, 08:07 PM
  2. e3 plugs
    By kebie05 in forum External Engine
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-14-2008, 02:17 AM
  3. Plugs and Wires Install...MSD wires E3 plugs
    By Demon_Z28 in forum External Engine
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-04-2008, 04:53 AM
  4. New plugs w/ new NOS kit
    By Whiteboycntdnce in forum Nitrous
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-11-2007, 05:51 AM
  5. spark plugs, tr55 iridium or plane tr55 plugs?
    By got-a-ls1 in forum General Help
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-09-2006, 07:06 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •