Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bad habbit- Smoking Fords

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Drive by Wire conversion...

My SS is going to be the test bed for a drive by wire conversion for the 4th Gen F-Body. Mosport Speed Shop is putting together a drive by wire conversion kit complete with a individualized tune (hand held). More info as the project matures.
    2001 SS - 430 RWHP 412 RWTQ
    6 spd, FIPK, Corsa exhaust, LS7 clutch, Dart Pro PP LS1 heads, custom 220/224 cam, Kooks LT's. Ported TB, Full suspension, C5 ZO6 brake upgrade.

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

Not sure why anyone would want to do this but.....

Best of Luck on the project.
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

Interesting, but it's something I prefer to avoid.

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

yea,.....im wondering why also....most drive by wire cars ive driven have a lag in throttle response....plus i dont wanna depend on a computer to work my throttle for me...my ex girl has a mustang with drive by wire....i know of one time when i was driving it, i pushed the gas to get up to speed, then let off and it kept accelerating...only for a few seconds...but it scared me.

Quote Originally Posted by jiveass View Post
    yea,.....im wondering why also....most drive by wire cars ive driven have a lag in throttle response....plus i dont wanna depend on a computer to work my throttle for me...my ex girl has a mustang with drive by wire....i know of one time when i was driving it, i pushed the gas to get up to speed, then let off and it kept accelerating...only for a few seconds...but it scared me.
    Yep, It's alot of those reasons I avoid it. These cars have enough electronics on them, I don't need something else to add.

Besides, Speed and Performance offers a kit for the retro swap of LS motors with drive-by-wires, and it's simple, just a little box that mounts on the gas pedal to send the signal.
    I don't see why it wouldn't work on a 4th gen, since it's made to work on any retro swap you do. So I fail to see how this speed shop is putting together and kit and making SOMSS's car a test bed, it's already out there.

I've looked into this already myself, trying to do a retro swap of an LQ4/LQ9 in a 72 blazer. But I'm going the other direction, and switching the throttle body out for a cable driven version

Maybe SOMSS could shed some light on this and help to explain why it's different from what already out there??

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

i say the less i have to depend on the computer, the better. i as well would like to her som's reasoning....

I won't avoid DBW but I certainly wouldn't convert a car that didn't have it. I just don't see where there is any demand for this.

Black
    '05 GTO

Any one driven a '10 camaro w/ a super charger. Good luck going anywhere without the traction control. By far the smoothest traction control I have ever experianced also makes for much better acceleration.

Good luck OP

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

First good reason for the swap is ease of tuning. You get more precise part throttle tuning and an increase in response. This kit will include a ported TB, a new ECM to control the TBW. All electrical connectors and a custom tune for your car. It will be plug and play, allowing any one with some mechanical aptitude to do this upgrade them self.

Black
    '05 GTO

Sounds pretty sick to me.

Will you have traction control, seems like the fly by wire traction control systems are awesome. I mean everyone likes the computer controlling injector pulses, ignition timing and such. Why not let it control the throttle body?

Excited to here your results.
    RUDE, CRUDE, AND SOCIABLY UNACCEPTABLE.

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

Traction Control ; "another bandaid fix for people who don't know enough to let off the gas". Or as I like to put it "it's a common sense inhibitor"

Black
    '05 GTO

So are you going to tell me that if you put to identical lets say 550hp supercharged camaros next to eachother at the strip and turn the traction control off on one and it will beat the one with it on? with street tires? on both

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

Quote Originally Posted by Jay37 View Post
    So are you going to tell me that if you put to identical lets say 550hp supercharged camaros next to eachother at the strip and turn the traction control off on one and it will beat the one with it on? with street tires? on both
    Take 2 LS1 auto F-bodies one with and one without and the non TCS car will win hands down.

I know the systems are way more sophisticated then they used to be, but a skilled driver vs the stab and steer traction control equipped approach would be a very interesting race to see.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Traction control is not meant for drag or road racing per say. It was developed to safely maintain traction in poor weather conditions.
    This thread is about making a turn key kit for converting a cable throttle throttle body vehicle to a drive by wire. It's not a debate. Drive by wire is the future, keep up or get left behind.

Quote Originally Posted by SOMSS View Post
    Traction control is not meant for drag or road racing per say. It was developed to safely maintain traction in poor weather conditions.
    This thread is about making a turn key kit for converting a cable throttle throttle body vehicle to a drive by wire. It's not a debate. Drive by wire is the future, keep up or get left behind.
    I'll take "left behind" I'm still a carb and points fan and have several cars as such, I still have a rotory dial phone in the house, and I still prefer to shop at a store rather than the internet. Technoligy peaked for me about 1975

In any event, we should keep this on topic,,,,I still would like to see the outcome of your swap, especially curious how it works with the cruise control...

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Okay some of you guys do understand that whether it's a throttle by cable or throttle by wire the PCM still controlls it all right???

My 01 is a factory 85mm fly by wire.. No lag to report..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Pewter
    1999 Firebird w/LS1 swap

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Okay some of you guys do understand that whether it's a throttle by cable or throttle by wire the PCM still controlls it all right???

My 01 is a factory 85mm fly by wire.. No lag to report..
    When my car had a 3.8L in it, it was drive by wire. No throttle lag either. When I switched to cable driven for the LS1 swap, I just zip-tied the DBW cables out of the way since they were part of the chassis harness and not the motor harness.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ZexGX View Post
    When my car had a 3.8L in it, it was drive by wire. No throttle lag either. When I switched to cable driven for the LS1 swap, I just zip-tied the DBW cables out of the way since they were part of the chassis harness and not the motor harness.
    imho makes the cruise control more responsive too..

Especially up and down hills with the cuise on.

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Okay some of you guys do understand that whether it's a throttle by cable or throttle by wire the PCM still controlls it all right???:
    Well, technically no. The cable still allows you to control the throttle blade. It's the Throttle Position Sensor that tells the computer where it is,,,and even that still uses a solid wire connection.

I think it's the thought of transmitting a signal through space that bothers some people. I know that's the part I don't like.

Thread Information