Results 1 to 13 of 13

drive by wire conversion

This is a discussion on drive by wire conversion within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; does anyone know whats involved in a drive by wire conversion.such as parts needed,tune and will cruise control still work?...

  1. #1
    Member 2000dreambird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Mass
    Posts
    618

    silver/black
    00 trans am,SLP,Ws6

    drive by wire conversion

    does anyone know whats involved in a drive by wire conversion.such as parts needed,tune and will cruise control still work?

  2. #2
    Senior Member tatertot91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Coral Springs, Fl
    Posts
    5,773

    Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

    any particular reason you want to do this?

  3. #3
    Member lsgunner28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Johnstown Pa.
    Posts
    237

    Medium Red Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

    I wouldnt do it, a lot of work for nothing. we have a truck thats fly by wire and it is the biggest PITA ever, more problems than any of our other vehicles combined.

  4. #4
    Member 2000dreambird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Mass
    Posts
    618

    silver/black
    00 trans am,SLP,Ws6

    Only reason I want to do it is because my throttle gas gottin stuck like 3/4 open on me more then once.

  5. #5
    Veteran Hi-Po's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    10,461

    Black
    1999 TA WS.6

    Quote Originally Posted by 2000dreambird View Post
    Only reason I want to do it is because my throttle gas gottin stuck like 3/4 open on me more then once.
    Have you figured out why? Have you thoroughly cleaned the throttle body/blade? What throttle body do you have? I noticed on my 92mm PTM, the hose clip on the cable side would touch ever so slightly at WOT. All that needed to be done was rotate the clip a tad.

    This conversion would be alot of work for nothing. Finding and fixing your problem would be so much less work.

  6. #6
    Senior Member tatertot91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Coral Springs, Fl
    Posts
    5,773

    Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

    Yep, if i were you i would take the TB apart and clean it fully inside and out.

  7. #7
    Member 2000dreambird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Mass
    Posts
    618

    silver/black
    00 trans am,SLP,Ws6

    When I full throttle if I take my foot off to fast it causes slack in the cable and the it over laps the passenger sid of the TB. The TB works fine and moves fine it's something with the pully system in my TCS that dosent move as fast as the spring on the TB wants it to

  8. #8
    Senior Member tatertot91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Coral Springs, Fl
    Posts
    5,773

    Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by 2000dreambird View Post
    When I full throttle if I take my foot off to fast it causes slack in the cable and the it over laps the passenger sid of the TB. The TB works fine and moves fine it's something with the pully system in my TCS that dosent move as fast as the spring on the TB wants it to
    what do you mean when you say it overlaps? Sounds almost like your TCS box is bad.

  9. #9
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Mine's fly by wire and I love it.. However it came that way.. Mine has an 85mm ID. inlet stock.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif


    Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

  10. #10
    Member 2000dreambird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Mass
    Posts
    618

    silver/black
    00 trans am,SLP,Ws6

    Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    what do you mean when you say it overlaps? Sounds almost like your TCS box is bad.
    Right where the cable meets the TB it will slack if I take my foot off to fast (after full throttle) then it will over lap the left side (passenger side of car) of the cable mounting plate I don't know what it's called. If you look at where the cable connects to the TB the groove that it sits in the right side is smooth and a straight line but the left side has a angle on it it's just the way it was made. That's where my cable gets hung up if I can I will post a pic of it hung up I just need to make a photobucket acct first.

  11. #11
    Senior Member tatertot91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Coral Springs, Fl
    Posts
    5,773

    Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

    You sure the spring is on the TB right? Sounds like the TC box is moving too fast for the TB.

  12. #12
    Member 2000dreambird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Mass
    Posts
    618

    silver/black
    00 trans am,SLP,Ws6

    Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    You sure the spring is on the TB right? Sounds like the TC box is moving too fast for the TB.
    I'm pretty sure there is a coil return spring on the TB. I could be wrong but I haven't looked again for detail

  13. #13
    Senior Member tatertot91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Coral Springs, Fl
    Posts
    5,773

    Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by 2000dreambird View Post
    I'm pretty sure there is a coil return spring on the TB. I could be wrong but I haven't looked again for detail
    Well my guess is the spring isn't on correctly. If you turn the TB by hand does it force itself closed quickly? Another thing could be that there is too much slack in your cable. Have you tried adjusting it? That wouldn't cause throttle sticking but the slack in the cable could be a result of that.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Drive by wire
    By jking78 in forum General Help
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-13-2015, 04:56 AM
  2. Drive by Wire conversion...
    By SOMSS in forum External Engine
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 01-13-2011, 11:21 PM
  3. LS2 GTO drive by wire ..
    By snaggeltooth in forum GTO
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-20-2008, 12:38 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-25-2008, 05:37 AM
  5. 6.0 drive by wire
    By whitez28onspray in forum General Help
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-21-2006, 03:41 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •