Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

DMH Performance cutout

I've had mine for 6 years perhaps. I think the motor finally went. It'll open, but won't close.

Has anyone done business with them lately? I've tried calling twice and sent an email over the course of this summer. I want another one from them so I don't have to run new wiring.

Does anyone rebuild these motors or would anyone even recommend placing an order with them for a new one?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Last I had heard, their customer service had gone to crap and nobody was hearing back from them. Not even certain if they are still in business. Curious as to what you find as I also run a DMH.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

He's still taking orders. I see someone say they get him every once in a while over on tech but it seems like a new thread pops up every month or so about him and his terrible customer service over there also.
    Mods - Lid, Skip Shift Eliminator, MGW shifter, UMI SFCs, Founders Lower Control Arms, Founders Panhard Bar, Founders Adj. Torque Arm, UMI Torque arm mount, MWC Drive shaft safety loop, KONI Yellows, Strano Springs, Strano Sway bars, UMI Upper and lower A Arms, 160 thermostat, TSP headers and TSP true duals Monster stage 2 clutch, racetronix fuel pump, Strange S60 rear axle and tune by Frost.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Knock on wood, ours has worked flawlessly since installation.

I've had mine for more than 10 years and still works flawless. I used to live up the street from him.

As far as I know he's still there pumping them out. He's a one man operation with CNC machines and a lot to do with several vendors that also want supplied a constant stock. So I can imagine how busy he is, with not a lot of time to answer phones and emails. It's a quality product, worth the wait.

I can relate. I'm also a 1 man operation. If I spent the time needed to answer my phone messages and emails I would never get work done. It's bad enough having people stop in all the time to chit chat about this or that and holding me up. People just need to get their name on the list and be patient. Patience is something that seems to be lacking in people nowadays.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

From what I know getting new ones is easy. It's the warranty work that's a pain to get. I've seen many people go 6 months or longer with no word from him or product. Some have gone over a year. I don't think it would be a big deal if he gave people a realistic time line but when someone does get a hold of him he tells them in the next week or so and it's still months or longer before they see it. Definitely think he is overwhelmed with vendor work and makes them his priority.

One of the guys who has been chasing after him thinks he has finally hired more people since he's been getting ahold of a different person at the shop when he does but it still hasn't resulted in his cutout being fixed and returned.

Waiting for warranty work? Why? If it were more than a year old I wouldn't even bother, I'd just buy a new one and be done with it. He offers some of the best warranties in the business (was 4 years back when I was dealing with him) but he may need to change that policy if he hasn't already because you can't churn these things out and deal with warranties that date back 4 years at the same time. Just not going to happen with a small shop he runs out of his house. I'm sure his vendor contracts are the most important. That's what pays the bills.

Some people just can't understand that and demand service, but the reality is that if you got some life out of it, be happy, it's a novelty item that was never designed to outlast the car.

Not trying to stick up for the guy, but expressing what it looks like on the other side of the fence. Customers that want everything handed to them have a hard time understanding the business side of things. I would hope he has shortened his warranties to combat the problem of having the lack of time to deal with it. Most places are 6 months tops.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 08-01-2015 at 06:34 AM.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Waiting for warranty work? Why? If it were more than a year old I wouldn't even bother, I'd just buy a new one and be done with it. He offers some of the best warranties in the business (was 4 years back when I was dealing with him) but he may need to change that policy if he hasn't already because you can't churn these things out and deal with warranties that date back 4 years at the same time. Just not going to happen with a small shop he runs out of his house. I'm sure his vendor contracts are the most important. That's what pays the bills.

Some people just can't understand that and demand service, but the reality is that if you got some life out of it, be happy, it's a novelty item that was never designed to outlast the car.

Not trying to stick up for the guy, but expressing what it looks like on the other side of the fence. Customers that want everything handed to them have a hard time understanding the business side of things. I would hope he has shortened his warranties to combat the problem of having the lack of time to deal with it. Most places are 6 months tops.
    While I can understand what you are saying, and you make some good points, this situation is a perfect example of the problem that exists in micro-manufacturing, and why so many fail.

In the supply chain world, maintaining supply to keep up with demand isnt just the material, its the information aspect as well. Its just as easy for a business to fail from poor communication as it is from not being able to keep up with material demand, a business has to have both, its an overhead cost (of doing busines) that needs to be provided for just as much as the direct costs.

If I was to talk with this guy, and he listed to me the issues that you have mentioned, I would definately point out to him the resources available at the local government level or at the college level that offer services (99% free of charge) to small businesses to help them improve thier operations.

While tthe warranty period certainly needs to be considered, and possible pricing ( you wont believe how many small suppliers that I have worked with that dont keep current with price increases), the most likely first step would to either hire someone that can be able to understand the operation enough to anwer emails and phone calls, so the owner can do the manufacturing, or to hire a person to help him with some of the manufacturing. Either of which is dependent on the owners comfort level, a lot of small business owners have a hard time not being the alpha and omega of thier operations, its thier baby after all. But the flow of information has to keep up with the flow of product, they are on in the same these days.

Pewter
    2002 WS6 TA

This won't help with your warranty issues, but.....
    I bought and installed the Badlanz cut out and it went on fine with
    a bit of a tweak on the mounting flange. (a planned "tweak" which is
    shown in the directions).

No problem at all for $140. Not too bad.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

It's just bad business, period. I liked the product I bought, but without any contact through phone or email when I want to make a 2nd purchase is a bit ridiculous.

If that's the case, he simply needs a secretary to take these inquiries on.

Either way, I'm not sure what product to go with next. I'll look into the QTP and Badlanz as mentioned, or I might go with the DMH again. IDK yet. I'm busy too, and it was hard enough to write up a couple emails and find time to get a few phone calls in, with no answer. I don't want to pull back the carpet and run a new line from a different company either, plus a motor form a different company might not line up with my current cutout flange that's welded into the exhaust.

Well thanks guys; I was mostly curious if anyone even gets a hold of the company.

Thread Information