Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

DIY starter rebuilding, the lost art..

This is a discussion on DIY starter rebuilding, the lost art.. within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Sorry for bringing up an old thread. My starter is a rebuild unit for an LS1 engine, it has reduction ...

Sorry for bringing up an old thread. My starter is a rebuild unit for an LS1 engine, it has reduction gears in front housing. After my starter took a saline water bath I rebuild it last week. By rebuilding it I mean I took it apart and cleaned everything. That was before I found this thread. Any way for lubrication (shaft ends and gears) I used teflon dielectric grease (super lube) I had at hand from Harbor Freight. The only property it has listed is it's temp range from -40 +242 deg C. Do you think I should take it apart and re grease everything with bearing grease or am I going to be ok as is.

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

got anything on rebuilding the ls1 alternator?

jiveass

Well my question was about starter and i am still looking for ansewr...

Alternator is easy:
    Here is a video:
    Here is another one:

I took mine apart and since I did not have soldering gun avalable I just clean everything I could from corrosion and reassembled...it is yet to be seen if it works.
    If your generator is completely dead no point in rebuilding cuz there is a 145 amp unit from tahoe that fits right up, gives you 40 amps more and is a more reliable unit. Do a search to find how to get it I think it from 2003 tahoe 140 or 145 amp unit.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by gramozeka View Post
    Sorry for bringing up an old thread. My starter is a rebuild unit for an LS1 engine, it has reduction gears in front housing. After my starter took a saline water bath I rebuild it last week. By rebuilding it I mean I took it apart and cleaned everything. That was before I found this thread. Any way for lubrication (shaft ends and gears) I used teflon dielectric grease (super lube) I had at hand from Harbor Freight. The only property it has listed is it's temp range from -40 +242 deg C. Do you think I should take it apart and re grease everything with bearing grease or am I going to be ok as is.
    You should be okay since you only use a starter for a few seconds each time. However next time I recommend some sort of bearing grease.

Quote Originally Posted by jiveass View Post
    got anything on rebuilding the ls1 alternator?
    No I don't. Sorry.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Don't worry about bringing up an old write up. It was done to help with the basic instruction of rebuilding most starters and can be used anytime.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information