Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Results 101 to 120 of 120

Did you notice a difference with your K&N?

This is a discussion on Did you notice a difference with your K&N? within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by jad628 I bought an Ea Filter from CompSyn a while back to REPLACE my K&N, and I ...

  1. #101

    Post Cross Reference

    Quote Originally Posted by jad628 View Post
    I bought an Ea Filter from CompSyn a while back to REPLACE my K&N, and I have been pleased with it. What I liked about it first was the tight fit in the air box. The K&N seemed a little loose, and I think the seal could have been compromised somewhat. I did notice a little build up near the MAF screen that appeared to be oily with the K&N and I took great pains to oil it correctly. With the Ea, I can't say I "felt" a performance gain, but I trust the company to have quality products. I take it out and shake it during oil changes (third one coming up), and remove debris from the filter area with only that process or low pressure air. My car has the air mod, lid, and functional SS ram air hood. If it gave me a 1 hp gain, great, but I want the engine protected above all. I think the Ea trumps the K&N in that regard.

    Now to find an Ea to replace the K&N FIPK (round) filter on my '96 Dodge Ram 318!!! on that engine I can tell you the K&N FIPK kit greatly increased air volume over the stock box, and it did indeed make a noticeable increase in performance. The engine was starved for air! That was replaced over 11 YEARS ago, and still going strong. Truck has 110,000 on it, and I've only replaced an O2 sensor above normal maintenance.
    jad628, you can get an Amsoil air filter to replace the one currently on FIPK system.

    K&N 57 Series FIPK Part # 57-1511-2 for your 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2L uses K&N replacement filter #RC-4680. K&N #RC-4680 crosses to Amsoil # EaAU4070 as shown below:


  2. #102
    Speak the truth jad628's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    52
    Posts
    2,307

    Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by CompSyn View Post
    jad628, you can get an Amsoil air filter to replace the one currently on FIPK system.

    K&N 57 Series FIPK Part # 57-1511-2 for your 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2L uses K&N replacement filter #RC-4680. K&N #RC-4680 crosses to Amsoil # EaAU4070 as shown below:

    Click for full size

    CompSyn,

    I appreciate the info, but my FIPK kit has a chrome assembly much like say.....a Moroso on a four-barrel small block set up. It's maybe 14" across (round) and about 2" high. It sits directly on top of the throttle body which is in the middle of the intake, just like a carburetor would be. Clearance to the hood is very close.
    Last edited by jad628; 11-30-2009 at 11:05 AM.

  3. #103

    Post Carburetor Style?

    Quote Originally Posted by jad628 View Post
    CompSyn,

    I appreciate the info, but my FIPK kit has a chrome assembly much like say.....a Moroso on a four-barrel small block set up. It's maybe 14" across (round) and about 2" high. It sits directly on top of the throttle body which is in the middle of the intack, just like a carburetor would be. Clearance to the hood is very close.
    Interesting! So it's not a cold air set-up but a carburetor style air filter like this one?



    Amsoil EaAR Air Filters - link

  4. #104
    Speak the truth jad628's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    52
    Posts
    2,307

    Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by CompSyn View Post
    Interesting! So it's not a cold air set-up but a carburetor style air filter like this one?

    Click for full size

    Amsoil EaAR Air Filters - link
    Now we're talkin'!!! Thanks for the info. I'll do a little checking about the measurements (to make sure) and likely order one. I'll also take a pic and post it. As memory serves, the base also has a provision for the vacuum line to the brake booster. The main (center) bolt is also off-set (bent) because of the clearance problems (the firewall lip is JUST above the filter top).
    Last edited by jad628; 11-30-2009 at 11:07 AM.

  5. #105
    Senior Member kool-aide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Deltona, FL
    Age
    42
    Posts
    1,220

    Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by jad628 View Post
    Now we're talkin'!!! Thanks for the info. I'll do a little checking about the measurements (to make sure) and likely order one. I'll also take a pic and post it. As memory serves, the base also has a provision for the vacuum line to the brake booster. The main (center) bolt is also off-set (bent) because of the clearance problems (the firewall lip is JUST above the filter top).
    Ah I remember my 318 and 360 days. I loved running my Dakota R/T with that big Carb style air filter. I had the big 13" by like 3" under there. Hit the hood, lol...

    Personally I miss the Throttle Body setup of those engines vs the LS1. I think that is the difference between a speed density and MAF setup, not sure. But that is a different topic.

    Well I can say I am glad I never spent the cash on an oiled re-usable filter. This thread has been very helpful, .

  6. #106
    Speak the truth jad628's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    52
    Posts
    2,307

    Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by kool-aide View Post
    Ah I remember my 318 and 360 days. I loved running my Dakota R/T with that big Carb style air filter. I had the big 13" by like 3" under there. Hit the hood, lol...

    Personally I miss the Throttle Body setup of those engines vs the LS1. I think that is the difference between a speed density and MAF setup, not sure. But that is a different topic.

    Well I can say I am glad I never spent the cash on an oiled re-usable filter. This thread has been very helpful, .
    Clearance is a stone-cold bitch under there for the air cleaner, but everything else is wide open! Well, except the distributor. That's a replace-by-feel venture as well.

  7. #107
    Member herculesrider1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    504

    Red
    '00 TransAm RamAir WS6 M6

    Does Donaldson make filters for our cars? Here again, I'm hesitant in believing any testing done by the company responsible for promoting their product. Is their testing results from a biased perspective something we can trust, or is it a marketing scheme designed to promote sales of said product?......

  8. #108
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,567

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Quote Originally Posted by herculesrider1 View Post
    Does Donaldson make filters for our cars? Here again, I'm hesitant in believing any testing done by the company responsible for promoting their product. Is their testing results from a biased perspective something we can trust, or is it a marketing scheme designed to promote sales of said product?......

    Not sure about Donaldson. As this debate rages on, I will say that it was not advertising hype that influenced my purchase. I was turned on to the Amsoil Ea filters by Sarge in another thread. This, in conjunction with my bad experience with K&N, lead me to purchase the Ea filter for our Trans Am. Also, for what it is worth, I simply do not place Amsoil in the same "suspect category" I do most other companies that are touting their wares. Amsoil legitimately makes good products imo.

  9. #109
    Member herculesrider1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    504

    Red
    '00 TransAm RamAir WS6 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Here is some light reading material: http://duramax-diesel.com/spicer/index.htm
    The Duramax Diesel test pretty much puts the proverbial nails in the coffin. While the Amsoil and K&N are still in the 90% range, they are still no comparison to the paper filter(Stock OEM). How can anyone argue with this test? Not that everyone on this thread is argueing, just for the sake of a better word....."debate" would be better. The figures speak for themselves.

  10. #110

    Post Nanofiber

    Quote Originally Posted by herculesrider1 View Post
    Does Donaldson make filters for our cars? Here again, I'm hesitant in believing any testing done by the company responsible for promoting their product. Is their testing results from a biased perspective something we can trust, or is it a marketing scheme designed to promote sales of said product?......
    Donaldson manufactures nanofiber filters for industrial and heavy duty applications, but not cars and light trucks. Wanting to fill the nitch for cars and light trucks, Amsoil bought licensing rights from Donaldson to produce oil and air filters utilizing the Donaldson nanofiber synthetic media. This is all laid out in the LINKS I posted above.
    Last edited by CompSyn; 12-01-2009 at 02:15 PM.

  11. #111

    Outdated...

    Quote Originally Posted by herculesrider1 View Post
    The Duramax Diesel test pretty much puts the proverbial nails in the coffin. While the Amsoil and K&N are still in the 90% range, they are still no comparison to the paper filter(Stock OEM). How can anyone argue with this test? Not that everyone on this thread is argueing, just for the sake of a better word....."debate" would be better. The figures speak for themselves.
    Yes, "the Duramax Diesel test pretty much puts the proverbial nails in the coffin" back in 2004 when the test came out. A lot can change in six years and has. Amsoil discontinued their foam style air filter that appeared in that 2004 test with the the Donaldson nanofiber synthetic media they offer today. Again, give the LINKS posted above a try as it's all there.
    Last edited by CompSyn; 12-01-2009 at 02:16 PM.

  12. #112
    Member herculesrider1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    504

    Red
    '00 TransAm RamAir WS6 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by CompSyn View Post
    Yes, "the Duramax Diesel test pretty much puts the proverbial nails in the coffin" back in 2004 when the test came out. A lot can change in six years and has. Amsoil discontinued their foam style air filter that appeared in that 2004 test with the the Donaldson nanofiber synthetic media they offer today. Again, give the LINKS posted above a try as it's all there.
    Thanks man, I'll look at it!

  13. #113
    Senior Member kool-aide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Deltona, FL
    Age
    42
    Posts
    1,220

    Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

    I just love watching a M1-A1 fire that big cannon, lol....

  14. #114
    Senior Member JoshuaGrooms83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    1,539

    Red
    98 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by kool-aide View Post
    I just love watching a M1-A1 fire that big cannon, lol....
    its fun to shoot too

  15. #115
    Senior Member JoshuaGrooms83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    1,539

    Red
    98 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by CompSyn View Post
    I’ve seen the above posted duramax-diesel.com/spicer air filter comparison before and it’s a well done comparison, but outdated. The Amsoil filter used in the Spicer test is Amsoil’s previous foam air filter which was later replaced by the Donaldson Nanofiber air filter, a substantial increase in filtering performance.

    Check out the links on Nanofiber air filter technology below. You’ll notice that air filters constructed with Nanofiber synthetic media is the air filter of choice in Military, Cummins HD, and Aviation applications:

    1) Nanofibers in Filtration Applications in Transportation - link

    2) CUMMINS - DEVELOPMENT OF HIGH DUST CAPACITY, HIGH EFFICIENCY
    ENGINE AIR FILTER WITH NANOFIBERS
    - link

    3) Donaldson Engine Air Intake Filters - link

    4) Donaldson: The Facts About Your Air Filter - link

    5) Donaldson Company Selected to Develop Filtration System for U.S. Army Abrams-Crusader Common Engine Program – Article

    Click for full size
    M1 Abrams tank with pulse-jet air cleaner and nanofiber filter system for filtration of the turbine combustion air.

    6) AMSOIL® Introduces Donaldson Endurance™ Air and Oil Filters with Nanofiber Technology - link
    And trust me, ive worke on these tanks, there are 3 HUGE air filters that filter HARDCORE. We have to clean them or they will actually force the tank into a type of "protection mode". when you can beat out at least 40 lbs worth of babypowder fine sand out of it, they work pretty freakin good. a BEEOTCH to get them out though.

  16. #116
    Member herculesrider1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    504

    Red
    '00 TransAm RamAir WS6 M6

    Does anyone know of an independent test run by a lab that is not a sponsor of any of the said filters?

  17. #117
    Member herculesrider1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    504

    Red
    '00 TransAm RamAir WS6 M6

    Recently, that is, say 2008 or 2009?

  18. #118
    Consumer of kraut SiggyZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tulsa
    Posts
    4,773

    Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

    The K&N offers no performance increase, whatsoever.

    2000 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 A4 - Light Pewter Metallic
    Direct Flo lid, SLP Loudmouth, Bassani Offroad Y-Pipe, BMR strut tower brace, BMR subframe connectors, shift points tune and !EGR

    2011 Kia Forte EX A6 Sportmatic - Titanium Silver Metallic

  19. #119
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by SiggyZ View Post
    The K&N offers no performance increase, whatsoever.
    I guess sayin' that one more time could'nt hurt huh? Yes they are junk nothing more nothing less.. The proof is in your oil folks..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif


    Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

  20. #120
    Member herculesrider1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    504

    Red
    '00 TransAm RamAir WS6 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by SiggyZ View Post
    The K&N offers no performance increase, whatsoever.
    No way??? You know, I never realized this til you just said it SiggyZ, in spite of the countless other posts on this thread...hahhaha, just kidding. How many times will this have to be said before everyone in the good ole U.S.A. believes it?????

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Any One Notice This
    By 98MustGT in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11-07-2010, 12:53 PM
  2. ever notice?
    By 0rion in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-21-2010, 10:01 AM
  3. Ever notice?
    By LimeNine in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-27-2010, 07:02 AM
  4. THANKS for the NOTICE! :)
    By SexyWS6Mama in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 08-11-2008, 08:03 PM
  5. Did you notice a difference?
    By clg82 in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-21-2007, 05:16 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •