Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 120

Did you notice a difference with your K&N?

This is a discussion on Did you notice a difference with your K&N? within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; So K&N = BAD? so everything ive ever been told about them is a lie? which really sux cause i ...

  1. #21
    Senior Member JoshuaGrooms83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    1,539

    Red
    98 Trans Am

    So K&N = BAD? so everything ive ever been told about them is a lie? which really sux cause i have one right now. again, i didnt buy it. it was free. SO i should go with the AMSOIL one right?
    Turbo build 99.9% complete

  2. #22
    Member supercopone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    279

    Black
    2002 Z28 B4C

    they would not have a company if they were bad, they are just not the best

  3. #23
    Senior Member JoshuaGrooms83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    1,539

    Red
    98 Trans Am

    true. But slick50 been around for ever as well and all it is is liquid teflon that clogs your oil filter. As for the filter, i supppose as long as i keep it clean and well oiled i should be alright, right?

  4. #24
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,576

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83 View Post
    true. But slick50 been around for ever as well and all it is is liquid teflon that clogs your oil filter. As for the filter, i supppose as long as i keep it clean and well oiled i should be alright, right?

    Even clean, a K&N allows more dirt to pass into your engine than a paper filter. Also, too much oil can cause issues as it is drawn onto the MAF and other sensors in the intake tract.

  5. #25
    Senior Member JoshuaGrooms83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    1,539

    Red
    98 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Even clean, a K&N allows more dirt to pass into your engine than a paper filter. Also, too much oil can cause issues as it is drawn onto the MAF and other sensors in the intake tract.
    i wasnt planing on dunking my filter. Anyhow im gonna try that amsoil Airfilter a try. I figure I use that for DD and then put the K&N one in for race use.

  6. #26
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    K&N = garbage.. Many companies that sell junk have been in busness for years. China is full of them...
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif


    Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

  7. #27
    Member supercopone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    279

    Black
    2002 Z28 B4C

    Well nascar uses them, that says something. I think they are a pain in the ass with the oil and the cleaning. I would say, stay away from them. But Im sure they add a few hp.

  8. #28
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Quote Originally Posted by supercopone View Post
    Well nascar uses them, that says something. I think they are a pain in the ass with the oil and the cleaning. I would say, stay away from them. But Im sure they add a few hp.
    Nascar? Are you serious? A nascar engine goes @ most little over 500 miles between builds. You honestly think they add HP? Enjoy your scored cylinders, and scratched bearing surfaces..

  9. #29
    Member supercopone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    279

    Black
    2002 Z28 B4C

    have a drink

  10. #30
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3


  11. #31
    Spaz is My Mentor SMWS6TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ugy Lower Corner of AL
    Posts
    10,511

    Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

    Just got into an argument with a co-worker about how K&N is junk, need more facts to help my case. He stated he has been using it for 5 yrs on his truck with no issues.

  12. #32
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,576

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Just got into an argument with a co-worker about how K&N is junk, need more facts to help my case. He stated he has been using it for 5 yrs on his truck with no issues.

    Here is some light reading material: http://duramax-diesel.com/spicer/index.htm

  13. #33
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    I can tell you for a fact K&N filters are junk compared to most ANY other filter. FACT: My cars NEVER miss an oil change intervals of 3000 miles. FACT with the K&N my new oil was filthy by 1500 miles. I do NOT beat on my car. By filthy I mean BLACK! FACT using the proper GM filter for my car the oil @ 1500 miles was nearly as clear as the day I poured it into my engine. FACT @ 3000 miles oil is brown NOT black, with just a factory air filter.
    FACT used very light coat of proper K&N oil and K&N cleaner to wash it.. FACT covered my diffuser screen with oil, MAF covered with oil. FACT, NO noticible gain in power. There is a reason they say, "can add UP TO X amount of HP". Means maybe it will but they wont be liable if it does'nt.. That right there nullifies their claim of any HP gain.. FACT reciever dryer internally covered in K&N oil. EVER price a fly by wire throttle body? Trust me they are more expensive than a stock cable driven TB. Replaceing it due to oil saturation is NOT on my agenda.. My cars are heavily well maintained you can pretty much ask anyone here @ the site to confirm it.. LAST thing I want is ANY motor damage. But as with everything it's up to you and what you think it's worth. Good luck all..

    PS thanks for the link Jeff..
    Last edited by Smittro; 11-19-2009 at 02:17 PM.

  14. #34
    Member herculesrider1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    504

    Red
    '00 TransAm RamAir WS6 M6

    Wow. I initially saw the flow data on the K&N and thought that the engine being an air pump would make more HP with more air. I never knew a stock AC paper filter would be the best at keeping out the most dirt and still provide enough airflow to allow the engine to make comparable HP. Why do some of you say that the Amsoil filter is the best? The filter test in the above site shows the stock AC paper filter to have the best efficiency across the board along with all other kinds of advantages.....?????

  15. #35
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,576

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Quote Originally Posted by herculesrider1 View Post
    Wow. I initially saw the flow data on the K&N and thought that the engine being an air pump would make more HP with more air. I never knew a stock AC paper filter would be the best at keeping out the most dirt and still provide enough airflow to allow the engine to make comparable HP. Why do some of you say that the Amsoil filter is the best? The filter test in the above site shows the stock AC paper filter to have the best efficiency across the board along with all other kinds of advantages.....?????

    The test cited in my post was from 5 years ago -- not sure if that was of the Amsoil Ea filter or a prior design.

  16. #36
    TunedbyFrost.com Tuner Frost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Richmond VA
    Posts
    2,415

    LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

    Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83 View Post
    i wasnt planing on dunking my filter. Anyhow im gonna try that amsoil Airfilter a try. I figure I use that for DD and then put the K&N one in for race use.
    What's with the need to spend a bunch of money on an air filter? Use it to make you faster.

    Quote Originally Posted by herculesrider1 View Post
    Wow. I initially saw the flow data on the K&N and thought..

    What 'flow data'? ...or do you mean a K&N ad?

    On the dyno, the Napa filter makes about 2-3 more HP on a boltons car than a K&N filter.

  17. #37
    LSwut tep98ws6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Saint Louis, MO
    Posts
    1,705

    Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

    I noticed a lot of oil on my MAF and a black air filter

    Smittro said it best!




    [I still need to change over to Amsoil or anything better than K&N - maybe a birthday present to myself since I can't right now due to rebuilding my engine and being POOR now]

  18. #38
    Senior Member JoshuaGrooms83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    1,539

    Red
    98 Trans Am

    ok, so K&N + NOOB + ENGINE = death .... got it. I just got served..... mmmm taste like a new regular filter!!! Delightful!

  19. #39
    Senior Member JoshuaGrooms83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    1,539

    Red
    98 Trans Am

    at least i got my K&N for free though, +1 for me. then -10 for being a noob....

  20. #40
    Member TA98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    863

    Black
    1998 Trans Am

    Alot of people will buy the K&N just because its a common name. I talked to a guy tonight that works for an aftermarket parts dealer that carries K&N and Green(similar to the K&N) But Green gave them banners and stickers to give and other promo crap and the guy said he always gives the little sales pitch to customers but they almost always choose the K&N simply because of the name. You can buy a K&N at Walmart, I personally choose not to buy my performance parts from Walmart or from a compwny that sells there. Just gives me a feeling that it may not be that good if theres a sign that says were rolling back prices.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Any One Notice This
    By 98MustGT in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11-07-2010, 12:53 PM
  2. ever notice?
    By 0rion in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-21-2010, 10:01 AM
  3. Ever notice?
    By LimeNine in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-27-2010, 07:02 AM
  4. THANKS for the NOTICE! :)
    By SexyWS6Mama in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 08-11-2008, 08:03 PM
  5. Did you notice a difference?
    By clg82 in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-21-2007, 05:16 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •