Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Did you notice a difference with your K&N?

This is a discussion on Did you notice a difference with your K&N? within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; So K&N = BAD? so everything ive ever been told about them is a lie? which really sux cause i ...

Red
    98 Trans Am

So K&N = BAD? so everything ive ever been told about them is a lie? which really sux cause i have one right now. again, i didnt buy it. it was free. SO i should go with the AMSOIL one right?
    Turbo build 99.9% complete

Black
    2002 Z28 B4C

they would not have a company if they were bad, they are just not the best

Red
    98 Trans Am

true. But slick50 been around for ever as well and all it is is liquid teflon that clogs your oil filter. As for the filter, i supppose as long as i keep it clean and well oiled i should be alright, right?

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83 View Post
    true. But slick50 been around for ever as well and all it is is liquid teflon that clogs your oil filter. As for the filter, i supppose as long as i keep it clean and well oiled i should be alright, right?

Even clean, a K&N allows more dirt to pass into your engine than a paper filter. Also, too much oil can cause issues as it is drawn onto the MAF and other sensors in the intake tract.

Red
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Even clean, a K&N allows more dirt to pass into your engine than a paper filter. Also, too much oil can cause issues as it is drawn onto the MAF and other sensors in the intake tract.
    i wasnt planing on dunking my filter. Anyhow im gonna try that amsoil Airfilter a try. I figure I use that for DD and then put the K&N one in for race use.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

K&N = garbage.. Many companies that sell junk have been in busness for years. China is full of them...
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Black
    2002 Z28 B4C

Well nascar uses them, that says something. I think they are a pain in the ass with the oil and the cleaning. I would say, stay away from them. But Im sure they add a few hp.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by supercopone View Post
    Well nascar uses them, that says something. I think they are a pain in the ass with the oil and the cleaning. I would say, stay away from them. But Im sure they add a few hp.
    Nascar? Are you serious? A nascar engine goes @ most little over 500 miles between builds. You honestly think they add HP? Enjoy your scored cylinders, and scratched bearing surfaces..

Black
    2002 Z28 B4C

have a drink

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Just got into an argument with a co-worker about how K&N is junk, need more facts to help my case. He stated he has been using it for 5 yrs on his truck with no issues.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Just got into an argument with a co-worker about how K&N is junk, need more facts to help my case. He stated he has been using it for 5 yrs on his truck with no issues.

Here is some light reading material: http://duramax-diesel.com/spicer/index.htm

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I can tell you for a fact K&N filters are junk compared to most ANY other filter. FACT: My cars NEVER miss an oil change intervals of 3000 miles. FACT with the K&N my new oil was filthy by 1500 miles. I do NOT beat on my car. By filthy I mean BLACK! FACT using the proper GM filter for my car the oil @ 1500 miles was nearly as clear as the day I poured it into my engine. FACT @ 3000 miles oil is brown NOT black, with just a factory air filter.
    FACT used very light coat of proper K&N oil and K&N cleaner to wash it.. FACT covered my diffuser screen with oil, MAF covered with oil. FACT, NO noticible gain in power. There is a reason they say, "can add UP TO X amount of HP". Means maybe it will but they wont be liable if it does'nt.. That right there nullifies their claim of any HP gain.. FACT reciever dryer internally covered in K&N oil. EVER price a fly by wire throttle body? Trust me they are more expensive than a stock cable driven TB. Replaceing it due to oil saturation is NOT on my agenda.. My cars are heavily well maintained you can pretty much ask anyone here @ the site to confirm it.. LAST thing I want is ANY motor damage. But as with everything it's up to you and what you think it's worth. Good luck all..

PS thanks for the link Jeff..
    Last edited by Smittro; 11-19-2009 at 02:17 PM.

Red
    '00 TransAm RamAir WS6 M6

Wow. I initially saw the flow data on the K&N and thought that the engine being an air pump would make more HP with more air. I never knew a stock AC paper filter would be the best at keeping out the most dirt and still provide enough airflow to allow the engine to make comparable HP. Why do some of you say that the Amsoil filter is the best? The filter test in the above site shows the stock AC paper filter to have the best efficiency across the board along with all other kinds of advantages.....?????

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by herculesrider1 View Post
    Wow. I initially saw the flow data on the K&N and thought that the engine being an air pump would make more HP with more air. I never knew a stock AC paper filter would be the best at keeping out the most dirt and still provide enough airflow to allow the engine to make comparable HP. Why do some of you say that the Amsoil filter is the best? The filter test in the above site shows the stock AC paper filter to have the best efficiency across the board along with all other kinds of advantages.....?????

The test cited in my post was from 5 years ago -- not sure if that was of the Amsoil Ea filter or a prior design.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83 View Post
    i wasnt planing on dunking my filter. Anyhow im gonna try that amsoil Airfilter a try. I figure I use that for DD and then put the K&N one in for race use.
    What's with the need to spend a bunch of money on an air filter? Use it to make you faster.

Quote Originally Posted by herculesrider1 View Post
    Wow. I initially saw the flow data on the K&N and thought..

What 'flow data'? ...or do you mean a K&N ad?

On the dyno, the Napa filter makes about 2-3 more HP on a boltons car than a K&N filter.

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

I noticed a lot of oil on my MAF and a black air filter

Smittro said it best!

[I still need to change over to Amsoil or anything better than K&N - maybe a birthday present to myself since I can't right now due to rebuilding my engine and being POOR now]

Red
    98 Trans Am

ok, so K&N + NOOB + ENGINE = death .... got it. I just got served..... mmmm taste like a new regular filter!!! Delightful!

Red
    98 Trans Am

at least i got my K&N for free though, +1 for me. then -10 for being a noob....

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Alot of people will buy the K&N just because its a common name. I talked to a guy tonight that works for an aftermarket parts dealer that carries K&N and Green(similar to the K&N) But Green gave them banners and stickers to give and other promo crap and the guy said he always gives the little sales pitch to customers but they almost always choose the K&N simply because of the name. You can buy a K&N at Walmart, I personally choose not to buy my performance parts from Walmart or from a compwny that sells there. Just gives me a feeling that it may not be that good if theres a sign that says were rolling back prices.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information