White
    01 Camaro 6speed

Delete Muffler or keep.

Well right now as we speak you can barely tell i have a muffler and hardly see the tips of my exhaust since everything is black underneath the car. This is more for weight saving but i wanted to cut the exhaust system off and let it dump right before the axle. Im want to take off the exhaust cut out and just put a oval muffler or maybe a long resonator. Has anyone figured out how much the exhaust system weighs or how much weight i will save by cutting it before the axle. Will it also sound good by putting a muffler and just dumping it before the axle. I dont want to do true duals, dont want to get too expensive going this route. As far as power i dont think im gonna gain anything either way since my exhaust cut out is right before the axle and most of the exhaust exits through there anyway.
    1993 Z28 M6: K&N Intake, 52mm TB, TB Bypass, No Cats, Exhaust Cutout, Flowmaster Muffler, 3.90 Gears, 160 Thermo, Tune, BMR Springs, Bilstein Shocks, 3 Point SFC,s & MGW Shifter.

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

I don't know how heavy the exhaust is from the over axle pipe on back, but it's a nice chunk of weight (depending on how heavy the muffler is)! IMO, get a 3" in/out, 4"dia. bullet muffler, a good turn-down and a universal exhaust hanger.
    Without any muffler it'll be loud all the time, so put a bullet muffler on there.

Last edited by Blue28; 03-23-2010 at 11:15 AM.

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

^^^ That looks really good, do you have any exhaust sound. Very clean job.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Blue28 View Post
    I don't know how heavy the exhaust is from the over axle pipe on back, but it's a nice chunk of weight (depending on how heavy the muffler is)! IMO, get a 3" in/out, 4"dia. bullet muffler, a good turn-down and a universal exhaust hanger.
    Without any muffler it'll be loud all the time, so put a bullet muffler on there.Click for full size
    Click for full size
    Not a good loud either. It's an annoying loud when just cruising and even at idle. The only thing I liked about it was when I went WOT it was loud as shit and sounded like a freakin NASCAR. But then agian, since I don't go WOT that much, it got old.

To the OP:
    Take a look at this link. I posted a vid of my car and what it sounded like with open exhaust.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128756

At first, I liked it. It was LOUD and I thought sounded good. As weeks turned into months, it got old and annoying quick. Every little thing I had in my car rattled, and I could not hear myself think. I grew to hate it. I now have my Flowmaster Super 40 welded back on and am happy with the way it sounds. Much quiter and has a better sounding, deeper tone.

Thread Information