Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Cutout install question...

I did a search, but I didn't find any info specific to this.

I just bought a QTP 3" manual cutout. I want to intall it in the I pipe, as far back as possible.

Now to install it, can I just cut a section out of the I pipe, and slip the ends of the stock exhaust into the cutout and secure it with clamps?

Every pic I see of cutouts, they're always welded. Shops around here charge a fortune for stuff like that, I'd rather not have to go that route.

So anyone ever just clamp one in?

Thanks!

rice,its what's fo dinner LeadFarmer's Avatar

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

I don't see why you couldn't accomplish the same thing with clamps as long as the I/O have matching diameters. The only thing I can think of going wrong with something like that is if the clamps weren't tight enough and the side of the cutout with the open plate rotates pointing down because of the fact it's slightly heavier thus scraping the ground.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I was not impressed with the pipe that came with our DMH cutout -- so I decided to take a different approach as well: http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137873

Navy Blue
    ls1 trans am

My understanding is the clamps will most likely leak, which wouldnt matter if the cutout was open. When you want to close it it will probably leak some. Surely it can't be that expensive for 2 welds? The 2 clamps may cost half of the cost 2 welds. I believe I paid 35$ to have it cut and welded, but may not be the case where you live.

Black
    1998 WS6 T/A

I just got mine welded into my I-pipe. They wanted 100 bucks, but I talked them down to 60

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Quote Originally Posted by mike171562 View Post
    I just got mine welded into my I-pipe. They wanted 100 bucks, but I talked them down to 60
    See this is what I'm afraid of. After the cost of the cutout, I'm looking at at least 100 bucks total. Too much just to have a loud exhaust IMO.

Maybe I ought to return the cutout, and have a Borla style (cutout after the axle, where the pipe curves toward the muffler) one made instead. It'll probably sound better inside the car, and I can't see it costing any more than 100 bucks.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Call up every place in the phone book and see what they say first.

Black
    1998 WS6 T/A

Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMike View Post
    See this is what I'm afraid of. After the cost of the cutout, I'm looking at at least 100 bucks total. Too much just to have a loud exhaust IMO.

Maybe I ought to return the cutout, and have a Borla style (cutout after the axle, where the pipe curves toward the muffler) one made instead. It'll probably sound better inside the car, and I can't see it costing any more than 100 bucks.
    The shop I called first said 50 bucks to weld it in, but when I went there in the morning, they were busy and said it would be an all day wait. You could call around and find a small shop that isn't busy to do it for cheap, mine was stainless and they said it was harder to weld stainless steel.

Navy Blue
    ls1 trans am

usually the cutout is the cheap alternative to a catback system, which will run you a couple hundred bucks, or even welding a muffler will cost you more. Most places charge by the weld and a cutout only has 2 welds. With a cat back you can do it yourself and use clamps. I have had my cutout for 9 years now and I love the sound. I call it the poor mans Borla since that system now runs somewhere in the 700-800 for the catback. You may try the clamps and down the line have it welded. You will not be dissapointed by the sound. I have had guys with flowmasters, borlas, corsas, and magnaflow make comments about how they like the way the cutout sounds and you have the option to cap it for inspection ect.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS Vert

My cutout was welded in for $40.

I suggest keep calling around, tell them what price you need it done for, and if they need business they will do it. It is a 20 minute job for a professional exhaust shop.

Thread Information