Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Cut Outs

This is a discussion on Cut Outs within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by 01 T/A i was talking to the local ls1 shop and he was saying that it all ...

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 01 T/A View Post
    i was talking to the local ls1 shop and he was saying that it all depends on what you have for power and what cat back you have. if you have a magnaflow you wouldnt need a cut out till you get to the 450 hores mark.
    a cut out eliminates the cat-back ..which gives the spent fumes a shorter way out....so a cut out will help any system to some degree..however with a relatively stock engine(ls1) a single cut out is all that is needed...a dual cut out will start to rob power..curtis told me this and i take his word like the word of god

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

I went through several catbacks befor i found the sound that i liked. It only took a 30 dollar cutout. Placed in the I pipe under the passanger seat. Fits very nice and no issues with speed bumps.
    Heres a pic from another member and his cutout.
    J
    Last edited by sunsetorangess; 05-26-2008 at 12:34 PM.
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by SleepingZ28 View Post
    Sorry to hijack, but didnt want to make another post about cut-outs.

Tell me if this would work.

LT's with a ORY, when the ORY connects to form one pipe, place the Cut-Out there, then leave the rest of the exhaust as-is. I don't see a problem with this, but I havnt been under the car to see if its possible.

Any input?
    Will it work, yes, however it might not be the best from a ground clearance standpoint. If you're installing only one, then mounting it in the intermediate pipe under the rear passenger side seat is the way to go.....you'll get plenty of ground clearance, the cutout tucks in nicely and there's a grommet right there to run the wires into the cabin if you choose to get an electric cutout. Not to mention, all of the fumes dump out behind the driver (as opposed to directly under the driver....this will come in handy if you sit in stop and go traffic!

2000 Z28

Alright, sounds good to me. Thanks guys.

02 Camaro SS S.O.M.
    07 Trailblazer SS AWD

Exclamation

I still dont know about this... Just got a pro 5.0 and decieded to take a midnight cruise, so i closed the exhaust so not to wake to many people and i SWEAR my car is a fuck load faster when its closed, i couldnt keep the fucking thing from spinning, I dont howerver like how quiet it is when its closed, the stock cme cars (mine) came with a stockish muffler packed with glass ect and even with my headers it is quieter than a fbody with just a catback. i gotta figure something else out, this car is way faster with more backpressure, no one else is having this happen?!?!

02 som SS #4818 m6 all SLP options, cme, lt's, ory, e-cutout, lowered(slammed), Pro 5.0, 4:10s, boltons, 19" CCW 505A'S, 365rwhp 379ftlbs
    07 silverstone TBSS matching SS hood, cai, exhaust, HP tuners, DJM/Beltech, DAILY DRIVER

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by SLP02SS View Post
    I still dont know about this... Just got a pro 5.0 and decieded to take a midnight cruise, so i closed the exhaust so not to wake to many people and i SWEAR my car is a fuck load faster when its closed, i couldnt keep the fucking thing from spinning, I dont howerver like how quiet it is when its closed, the stock cme cars (mine) came with a stockish muffler packed with glass ect and even with my headers it is quieter than a fbody with just a catback. i gotta figure something else out, this car is way faster with more backpressure, no one else is having this happen?!?!
    Depends on the setup. You have more low-speed power no doubt through the full exhaust (i.e. closed cut-out), but your top-end should definitely improve with the cutout open. It's just more seat-of-the-pants than anything.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information