Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Which cut out?

This is a discussion on Which cut out? within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by chevyss1234 i just ordered a qtp and it just came in yesterday. it looks pretty nice but ...

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by chevyss1234 View Post
    i just ordered a qtp and it just came in yesterday. it looks pretty nice but i havent installed it yet.
    Race Ready has the best warranty. And you need one with these things!

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    Race Ready has the best warranty. And you need one with these things!
    That may be,,,but in my case with the DMH's,,,a 4 year warranty is decent, but what I liked is the fact that he's right up the street from me. No shipping cost,,,,ship one back wait on another kind of thing.

I can simply drive on over and be back home in 10 minutes with a new pair,,,throw them on the car before you can get to UPS

Black
    1998 Camaro SS M6 #1871

I have a couple questions about cutouts.

1.) Does anybody have pics of theirs installed? I want to install mine before my factory catback, what do you think?

2.) Also would I have any troubles during my e check in ohio? They do a visual inspection just for the cat, and they just use a mirror. I figure I can take off the dmh, put on the regular cutout plate and they wouldn't even be able to tell.

3.) What size pipe is the stock exhaust on our cars?

Thanks for the help, I kind of want to see some pics of these.

Black
    1998 Camaro SS M6 #1871

btt

Well I can't help with all your questions since I installed my cutouts on my chevelle and don't have any on the 4th gens.

But,,,since I currently live in Ohio,,,I have to ask are you guys still e-checking up there in Northern Ohio?????

They got rid of that down here in Southwestern Ohio several years ago.

I don't know for sure if they actually allow cutouts in Ohio or whether they would be checking for it,,,or whether or not it would have a bearing on their decision to pass your e-testing,,sounds a little strange to me,,,but I do know some states have laws against cutouts,,,not sure if Ohio has jumped on that bandwagon yet or not.

HERE WE GO STEELERS!!! michaelinchains's Avatar

black
    `99 GTP/`98 formy(sold)

im in cincy oh,no e-check here

artic white
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

I will be putting on 2 3" DMH cutouts on this weekend. A 4year warrenty and Dave is a nice guy to talk with, so customer service should be great.

Black
    1998 Camaro SS M6 #1871

So the pipe running up to my OEM catback is 3" correct?

We do have the e check here in akron, but the thing is they just do a quick visual look for the cat. I am thinking for the check just taking off the electronic cutout, installing the metal cap with bolts, and they prob won't even notice. If they do I will say its welded shut. I am thinking that will pass for the part time e check worker.

Quote Originally Posted by Hwystar View Post
    I will be putting on 2 3" DMH cutouts on this weekend. A 4year warrenty and Dave is a nice guy to talk with, so customer service should be great.
    He is nice. Lives right up the street from me. Invited me over to pick mine up and check out his shop. Super guy.

Quote Originally Posted by aerojt View Post
    So the pipe running up to my OEM catback is 3" correct?

We do have the e check here in akron, but the thing is they just do a quick visual look for the cat. I am thinking for the check just taking off the electronic cutout, installing the metal cap with bolts, and they prob won't even notice. If they do I will say its welded shut. I am thinking that will pass for the part time e check worker.
    I was thinking an OEM catback main pipe (I-pipe) was 2 3/4 inches?????

Are you saying you would fail emissions with a cutout in the exhaust even if you have the door closed????? I don't see why that would be any concern for an emissions station. Do you know of anyone who failed that had a cutout???

Sorry to hear you guys are still e-checking up there. When Cincinnati got rid of it years ago I thought it was state wide. Goodluck.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

I have a QTP electric cutout on my SS and I absolutely loved it until the motor went. As with most of the electric cutouts on the market, the motor on my QTP gave up after 7 months of use and they only offer a 90 day warranty on their product. Given my experience with that company and from the feedback on this thread, I'll be replacing the QTP with a DMH. I will also offer this warning....the QTP folks are quick to throw out stats about how many of these they sell and how they "stand behind their product", etc. blah, blah, blah, however far too many people are figuring out that they don't exactly stand behind their product as one would hope for and expect! Perhaps I should've read a little further into that 90-day warranty!

As for choosing an electric cutout instead a manual cutout, I wanted to be able to go from quiet and stealthy to "wake the neighbors" loud in an instant. It also works well if you need to quiet down the car to appease local law enforcement or to quiet the car down for a long trip. Just my $.02.....perhaps this makes me much less of a real man.
    Last edited by Midnight02; 02-27-2008 at 03:20 PM.
    2002 Camaro SS M6, 2.5 PRC 5.3L heads, TFS 228/230 cam, FAST 92, bolt ons + a 10 lb bottle in the back.

1989 Corvette L98, A4, Full bolt ons, etc.

Black
    1998 Camaro SS M6 #1871

You might have misunderstood, I am saying I'll just take off the qtp cutout then cap off the y pipe just so emissions won't think anything of it. If they look and see a big contraption on the exhaust they might question. Just the plate cover would prob sneak it by.

So any confirmation on the factory pipe size?

Black
    1998 Camaro SS M6 #1871

Anybody know where to get a turndown tip, like a little one so I don't cook the floor? Thanks!

artic white
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Anybody know where to get a turndown tip, like a little one so I don't cook the floor? Thanks

I ordered mine from napa, and cut it to the size I wanted

After years of crawling under cars to remove hot block off plates, and then back under to put them back on, elec. cutouts are great, 3 seconds open, 3 seconds closed.

black
    1987 chevy camaro

thats a good idea ...with the turn down. Would it effect anything beside just turning it away from where you dont want it?

artic white
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

thats a good idea ...with the turn down. Would it effect anything beside just turning it away from where you dont want it?

I just just pointed mine a little towards the outside of the car. That way, the exhaust fumes would exit a little better. It also lets people hear it a little better.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information