Black
    1993 Firebird Formula

Customizing a Loudmouth

I was wondering if anyone has any idea what a Loudmouth or a TSP Rumbler would sound like if the glasspack muffler was gone and a sweet thunder was put in its place? I have a 93 LT1 Firebird and am in need of a new exhaust system soon. The car currently has a Flowmaster hooked to the stock exhaust pipes. One of the pipes as rusted completely through and is just hanging by a thread almost.

I want the chambered sound, don't really want a FM again, but also don't want my car to sound like an exotic car (which I feel Mangaflow and others do).

So, I was thinking about a loudmouth or Rumbler with a chambered muffler in it. I don't know if I want a Cat or not....

What do you guys think?

Steven

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I customized my old loudmouth.
    I cut it off the damn car.

Magnaflow sounds exotic? Haven't heard that until now. Interesting.
    A lot of guys are using Magnaflow mufflers in place of the LM resonator these days, and getting great sounding cars.
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

nbm
    00 SS

A Dynomax bullet didn't help my LM at all. A real muffler in it's place might be better. I will hear how a Spintech sounds later on this week. I'm ditching my LM for a 4" Mufflex/Spintech system.

Maple Red Metallic
    2002 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post

A lot of guys are using Magnaflow mufflers in place of the LM resonator these days, and getting great sounding cars.
    Haha, probably because it's mostly not an slp then. I'm getting rid of my loudmouth next week for a magna and a full exhaust. Best upgrade i'll probably do

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

OP, once i get mine on, i will let you know. i bought the TSP rumbler for my '95 TA and have the sweet thunder resonators left over from my TD setup for the SS. if anything i think it will sound similar to the chambered exhaust GMMG system. not exactly, but similar to it...
    2018 CTS-V: °°668rwhp/658rwtq°°
    2013 ZL1: °°590rwhp/576rwtq°°
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

Black
    1993 Firebird Formula

After many hours of research and youtube time, I am thinking that a custom system with just one Sweet Thunder is going to be too loud. While being loud is not a bad thing, I have too good of a stereo to cover it with exhaust noise. Any louder then the flowmaster I am getting rid of is not what I am looking for.

My complete idea was going to be a 3" cat to a 3"x24" long sweet thunder to resonated hooker tips. Custom bent stainless pipes used throughout.

Because of the loudness, I am now considering either an Edelbrock SDT kit or a Mac FlowPath kit. Probably leaning towards the Edelbrock.

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post

Is the magnaflow muffler a direct bolt on for the resonator, or does it need to be modified. Does the muffler make the slp loudmouth I sound like magnaflow....i never got why people would swap out parts from a cat back for another exhaust component......fill me in Mr. Luos~Chris
    2000 Arctic White trans am, ws6 hood, ws6 air box, slp lid, slp smooth bellows, slp loudmouth exhaust,shift kit, rebuilt trans, LS6 intake, 3.73 gears, Shaner S3 p/p throttle body, and a tune . SFC. C6 ZO6 rims 18" in back 17" in front. Drilled and slotted rotors.

Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

Chris, Magnaflow is a direct fit. Doesn't need any modifications at all. Looks damn good too.

Doesn't sound like a rattle can either. Very nice controlled, throaty sound. I love my magnaflow and has only gotten better with the headers. Wouldn't give it up for another muffler either.

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by BIG GUNS View Post
    Chris, Magnaflow is a direct fit. Doesn't need any modifications at all. Looks damn good too.

Doesn't sound like a rattle can either. Very nice controlled, throaty sound. I love my magnaflow and has only gotten better with the headers. Wouldn't give it up for another muffler either.
    So I could swap out the loudmouth resonator, for a magnaflow muffler and it would bolt right on?

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

My Loudmouth turned into a GMMG clone
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

black
    2000 camaro ss

I dont think it would bolt / weld right in. The lm resonater is 4'' round and theres not much more room there for a muffler. I cut the cats off mine and its WAY too loud now. I like the sound of the magnaflow but i dont want to change everything $$$$. slp makes a powerflow conversion kit that calms the rasp down but its 300$. lol man if you can make it work keep me posted!

red
    1998 Z28

haha i think its funny how everyone on here doesnt seem to like the slp lm but me. i always get lots of complements on the sound of my car. but hey everyone has there own taste.

anyways would u guys say that the rumbler is a good investment or should u just save up and do a custome true dual?

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Why would you wanna change perfection?

Stockitie Stock Stock 95camaroZNC's Avatar

Red
    1999 Trans Am

I like the sound of true duals, but i liked the sound of the magnaflow on the back of my LT1 car too, if i do anything on the new car ill probably go true duals.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Quote Originally Posted by AB'sLs1 View Post
    haha i think its funny how everyone on here doesnt seem to like the slp lm but me. i always get lots of complements on the sound of my car. but hey everyone has there own taste.

anyways would u guys say that the rumbler is a good investment or should u just save up and do a custome true dual?
    i loved how my car sounded when i had LT's/ORY into the SLP LM catback.

i just took it a step further and went TSP TD's and instead of using the Sweet Thunder resonators that the system came with, i used 2 SLP LM resonators and dumped before the rear axle. from behind, you see straight into the resonators. it give a totally new meaning to the word LOUD!!!

right now, my '95 TA has a rusted out (and poorly patched), crappy Edlebrock catback system on it that has seen better days. once things settle down here in regards to getting moved into the house, i plan to swap systems on the TA...

99 Hugger Z28, 03 R6

I customized my LM. Car has LTs, ORY, and a 16" glasspack in place of the resonator. It f*in barks! I bought the car with mid length headers, ory, lm2. Awesome sound but the drone on the freeway drove me nuts.

The glasspack isnt any "louder" than the previous set up, just has a lot more rasp and rumble. The part I dont like is between 2-3k rpm it sounds like a dualed out chevy truck. Above 4k rpm it kicks ass.

The 16" glass actually was the wrong muffler I ordered. Im tring to find a 22" "flowpack" glasspack. It should be a tad quieter and less rasp. I dont have any pics/vids yet, just too damn busy now.

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    My Loudmouth turned into a GMMG clone
    and how did you accomplish that one?

I have a lm1 with ory and headers its just too raspy for me and it drives me nuts on the highway
    Last edited by 02Sweet; 06-30-2009 at 09:12 AM.

black
    1999 trans am

my 99 t a has the SLP cat back LM real like the sound !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I had a friend with an LT1 and the Mac catback. It was loud as hell. Personally I think you worry too much how your car will sound.

black
    2000 camaro ss

anybody runing the slp powerflow conversion kit on there lm ?? I found it for 279.00 online.

Thread Information