nbm
    99 z28

custom exhaust in omaha area

having trouble finding a shop that will install true dual exhaust in my area. Omaha,Ne. I've called at least a dozen shops and so far all have told me it can't be done. I even had one shop tell me that by puttin longtubes on the car and messing with the location of the cats that I could be pulled over and drug sniffing dogs and police could impound my car and fine me 2200 for not having the cats on properly!wtf! never heard of that ever. also had several tell me that i'm not gaining anything over stock pipes. so tomarrow i'm going to drive to a place in n.w. omaha called the car shop so they can look into it. they've already said they probably couldn't do it but will at least see what they can do. so my goal of having true duals is quickly evaporating and I can't weld so I think trying to install it myself is out plus its 750 for the bassani system. I've told these people about cars on this site but they refuse to beleave it for whatever reason. so unless I find a shop to do the td i guess I'm gonna have to look into a cat back system like a slp loudmouth. I have pacesetter longtubes so would a y pipe from texas speed work with them? or do i need a y pipe designed for those headers?

Black
    2000 Trans Am

I know a guy in Palmyra Ne. that did the exhaust on my 2000 TA, ARH LTs 2 7/8 primaries and 3" TDs with SLP LM2s and 2.5' x over the axle, it sounds great and runs like a champ. The only problem is that he takes his time, its a PITA since the car is low and its really not designed for it, took him a week to do mine, still it was worth it tho. Its about 10 minutes east of Lincoln on High Way 2. He did it pretty cheap too but I'm a repeating customer.

Check out my exhaust clip on youtube.

CustomSSI.com is the shop

nbm
    99 z28

does that system scrape alot? I talked to the guy yesterday at the carshop in omaha. he said it could be done but didn't recommend it. said it wouldn't flow as well as a cat back system. due to the sharpe bends and tricky welds he would have to do around the axle. + he said it would probably drag quite a bit. so I'm not sure what I wanna do just yet. there is a couple more places in omaha I found out about that I'm gonna try before I decide. lincoln would be way too far for me. the ride to north omaha and back bout made me deaf

Black
    2000 Trans Am

The set up itself is only mabey at most an inch... mabey lower than the stock set up but I'm not sure its even that much. The 3" pipe is larger than the stock and one pipe has to be ran outside of the tunnel where the stock exhaust was. It does scrape on occasion, but its not really any worse than the stock exhaust was. I live out in the country and really dont have any problems with it and I have speed bumps in the parking lot at work and they are not a problem at the correct speed. If it does drag its a place that I shouldnt be taking the TA, and I should know better.

This set up is way better than the stock or a y-pipe. There are really no sharp bends in the pipe, anyway nothing worse then that of the stock exhaust or aftermarket y and catback. A dual set up is superior to a y pipe and the sound and power difference is totally noticeable. Usually shops dont even want to attempt a dual set up on an F-body cuase 1 its not built for it, 2 its tricky, 3 the shop would want to satisfy the customer and if its not done right they should fix it and that makes them loose money and time.

The x pipe and the LMs are the only welded pipes on the car cuase it had to be the rest is all clamped togeather.

Almost deaf already... you already have the exhaust off?
    I'm gonna be at MAM tomorrow if my car is done getting tuned if you would like we could meet up there and you could check it out.
    Later
    Scott

nbm
    99 z28

sorry. busy weekend. would have liked to see how they put your system together. your car sounds pretty damn good. I got a few more calls to make before I shit can this idea till next summer. but I gotta do something with it really soon. exhaust is gone. just have headers only. I'll try to post a sound clip when finished.

Thread Information