Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

Could I have mistaken exhaust for Trans problem?

Wazzup,
    I recently had a thread where I had an exhaust leak problem. Well, I thought I had that fixed until recently, we were out playing around and spun the tires. Since then the noise has come back (slightly different sound) but can be heard from completely around the car in any direction.

This doesn't sound like a leaky exhaust to me nor any engine issue that I could think of as it can't be heard (barely) from the engine bay.

Only recent things done since long tube header and 3" catted exhaust were the frost tune a little while back and replaced my 02's with some long rear vette (Bosch pn 13111) 02's.

The noise is nonstop now cold or hot, and I've been too worried to drive it. I took her out the other day and as I slowed to a light it disapeared. Giving it a little gas and it came back instantly. Sofar only noticed this twice while in that one drive.

My neighbor came over and said that the flywheel or pressure plate may be worn and causing the sound while running the motor, as one of those (forgot which) spins freely with the motor. Aw shit, didn't even think that the noise I heard as exhaust or engine could possibly be transmission.

Anyways, I've attached a video. Hopefully one of you geniuses may help steer me in the right direction as to if it's a tranny issue or maybe even a bad 02 that could cause this?

Thanks in advance.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Again, I hate to sound repetitive... That still sounds like a header leak. From video at least. I have heard some very loud header leaks on diesels. Could this be lifter tick? Sure. The easier attempt at fixing this would be removing the DS header and replacing the gasket, and maybe bolts. What gaskets did you install? Maybe I missed that answer. Have you missed a shift, revved the car way to high recently? The last time I heard a exhaust leak that loud, it was a broken manifold bolt. I would personally start by removing the header (you said it was louder on the DS correct?) and going from there.

Or, by a cheap mechanics stethoscope. That might help pin point the noise down.

2000 C5 Torch Red

thanks hi-po. Would I be able to hear the ticking from the engine bay as it's very quiet compared to under the car. I went back thru this past weekend and tried making sure all were snug on the DS. I used the stock metal gasket bought from gmparts direct along with stock bolts.

All currently are tight bolted down center outwards. Can you give tips on how to use a stethoscope? Do I stick it on the header or where?

No missed shifts recently. Had a couple a while back when learning stick, but that was awhile and I've never rammed it into gear or anything.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by chuckie669 View Post
    thanks hi-po. Would I be able to hear the ticking from the engine bay as it's very quiet compared to under the car. I went back thru this past weekend and tried making sure all were snug on the DS. I used the stock metal gasket bought from gmparts direct along with stock bolts.

All currently are tight bolted down center outwards. Can you give tips on how to use a stethoscope? Do I stick it on the header or where?

No missed shifts recently. Had a couple a while back when learning stick, but that was awhile and I've never rammed it into gear or anything.
    Well, if you used good stock gaskets (new) theres no fault there.

A stethoscope is used just like a doctor does. Touch areas you think are problem areas. Basically between a lifter tick (bad tick) and a header leak. It for sure increases with RPM! Would be awesome if you replaced everything, but if they were OEM manifold gaskets, it might do no good.

2000 C5 Torch Red

I'll try and pickup a stethoscope. Ugh at the thought of taking the header back off.

What got me is that before, I could hear it mainly on the driver side. After re-tightening the bolts down it got better. Now I can hear it clearly from any side of the car. Plus the sound went away and came back when stopping at a light.

Maybe a day or two, but I'll post back up. Thanks much for the advice.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Wazzup,
    I recently had a thread where I had an exhaust leak problem. Well, I thought I had that fixed until recently, we were out playing around and spun the tires. Since then the noise has come back (slightly different sound) but can be heard from completely around the car in any direction.

This doesn't sound like a leaky exhaust to me nor any engine issue that I could think of as it can't be heard (barely) from the engine bay.

Only recent things done since long tube header and 3" catted exhaust were the frost tune a little while back and replaced my 02's with some long rear vette (Bosch pn 13111) 02's.

The noise is nonstop now cold or hot, and I've been too worried to drive it. I took her out the other day and as I slowed to a light it disapeared. Giving it a little gas and it came back instantly. Sofar only noticed this twice while in that one drive.

My neighbor came over and said that the flywheel or pressure plate may be worn and causing the sound while running the motor, as one of those (forgot which) spins freely with the motor. Aw shit, didn't even think that the noise I heard as exhaust or engine could possibly be transmission.

Anyways, I've attached a video. Hopefully one of you geniuses may help steer me in the right direction as to if it's a tranny issue or maybe even a bad 02 that could cause this?

Thanks in advance.

Click for full size

This is how my mufflers baffels sounded right before they went. It started out sounding exactly like that, then one day after I got into it while getting on the Interstate it got much louder and more annoying. My muffler grant you was probably 4 - 6 yrs old at least. Just my .02 cents

2000 C5 Torch Red

My exhaust setup uses the LM1 which is just straight thru, so there's noting to go bad there. The sound is coming from under the engine area which I can't figure out. Can't hear it inside the engine bay, but underneath there's an orchestra.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Collector leak...

2000 C5 Torch Red

do you know how I can test/prove that?

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

do you know how I can test/prove that?
    Try looking for a carbon trail around/near your collectors.

2000 C5 Torch Red

thx for the heads up. I'll scope it out

2000 C5 Torch Red

Update: Well, didn't want to fiddle with crawling under the car so took it to exhaust shop to check out. When first started up, he said sounds like manifold leak. Well we go to raise it up and once up in the air and idling could no longer hear anything. He did find a leak back at the I pipe into the SLP muffler, but I don't know if that's causing the sound at the front wheels. He ran a stethoscope on the manifolds and said all he could hear is normal sound from long headers. We also checked around the collector and all the bolton pieces and saw no charring caused by leaking exhaust.

Exhaust guys prescription was to go out and enjoy the car.

I left and drove home and could still hear that annoying sound as I pulled up next to cars.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

put up a vid so we can hear it.

2000 C5 Torch Red

first post

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Wierd you couldnt hear it from below. Has to be a lifter tick/ something internal if its for sure not an exhuast leak.

2000 C5 Torch Red

I dont know bro. Back to square one

Red
    2001 ws6

that sounds like a classic exhaust leak man jack you car up and search yourself for black residue whos know your mechanic might be incompitent

Red
    2001 ws6

just wondering.... have you deleted your air...

2000 C5 Torch Red

yeah. I was under the car while they were looking at it. Had it about 8ft up in the air running. No buildup around the underside of the manifolds, collectors or any of the band clamps.

2000 C5 Torch Red

Yes, I've completely removed the air system in the car. Frost tuned it out

Thread Information