Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

coolant bypass???

This is a discussion on coolant bypass??? within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by ss~zoso~ss no, all it does is slightly reduce the temperature of the throttle body due to the ...

Navy Blue Metallic
    '99 T/A WS6 M6

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by ss~zoso~ss View Post
    no, all it does is slightly reduce the temperature of the throttle body due to the hot coolant flowing through it, but if you think about it the engine heats it up anyways
    exactly.
    99 WS6 M6 NBM !Cags,!Cats,Vinci/Crane,Hurst,Detroit TruTrac,3:73,31 Splne,Edel.Race LT's,ORY,QTEC,Flow,ARP,Percy,MSD,SLP,AC/DELCO,Bosch,GMPP,Cntrfrce DF,Htchkiss,Susp.Tech,Lakewood,285's,Bilstein,Pro-kit,SLP,RK Sprt,A/Meter,Red Optima,Magnaflow S/S Tips,Hd Pins,Tint,Fire.Ex,[*4 Hot Rod Power Tours*]

Navy Blue Metallic
    99 Formula M6

The mod is worth it, as previously stated it cost nothing and definitely does not remove any power from ur car. So then, the question is... Why not do it? Anyone saying its pointless doesn't understand the concept of hot air = bad. Even if it doesn't add any power, i feel more comfortable knowing that i am not rushing heated air in my engine when i do not have to. Those claming this mod does not work or is not worth the trouble are simply speaking like lazy asses who don't want to take the twenty minutes out of their day to do the easy mod.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '99 T/A WS6 M6

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Jon7I2 View Post
    The mod is worth it, as previously stated it cost nothing and definitely does not remove any power from ur car. So then, the question is... Why not do it? Anyone saying its pointless doesn't understand the concept of hot air = bad. Even if it doesn't add any power, i feel more comfortable knowing that i am not rushing heated air in my engine when i do not have to. Those claming this mod does not work or is not worth the trouble are simply speaking like lazy asses who don't want to take the twenty minutes out of their day to do the easy mod.
    WHOA....

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

i still haven't done it on either car. boy, i'm lazy. all the water is there for is to heat the TB up quicker for cold climate conditions. after the motor is heated up, the TB will remain as hot as the motor.

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

The bottom line is it all adds up. The bump stop mod, porting the TB, bypassing the coolant, etc...

The only actual dyno testing on this subject I've found (and posted above twice) shows that the gains were solid, and felt throughout operating temp. Take a CAI. If the TB heating up affected it that much, you wouldn't see gains there either. The fact that you do shows that the cooler air makes more power. Same principle.

If it cost $50 to gain a HP, it wouldn't be worth it. For $5? Definitely. People spend $400 on a catback to gain 10-15HP at $26-40 per HP, but you can't justify $5 for 1HP? HP/$ is the oldest best bang for the buck calculator.

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    i still haven't done it on either car. boy, i'm lazy. all the water is there for is to heat the TB up quicker for cold climate conditions. after the motor is heated up, the TB will remain as hot as the motor.
    well not as hot but....

Navy Blue Metallic
    99 Formula M6

I wasn't talking about people who don't do it due to the fact that they live in cold weather climates or because they like the idea of the hot TB burning up any carbon that might accumulate in the TB. Those are perfectly good reasons not to do the mod. Those I was calling lazy asses are the people who won't do it because….. “just because,” and they give no valid reason other than it is not worth it. The decision itself is irrelevant, but the reasons behind such decision are what I was insulting, and I probably shouldn’t be saying things like that anyway. So, to all those who have not done the mod and have logical reasonable reasons behind the decision, I am sorry for my comment.

Dont feel bad,I must be as lazy as you. I didnt even bother do a friggin egr mod, i just went ahead and did a whole god damn ls6 intake instal instead. What a lazy fuck i am. I hate when i'm lazy damn.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon7I2 View Post
    I wasn't talking about people who don't do it due to the fact that they live in cold weather climates or because they like the idea of the hot TB burning up any carbon that might accumulate in the TB. Those are perfectly good reasons not to do the mod. Those I was calling lazy asses are the people who won't do it because….. “just because,” and they give no valid reason other than it is not worth it. The decision itself is irrelevant, but the reasons behind such decision are what I was insulting, and I probably shouldn’t be saying things like that anyway. So, to all those who have not done the mod and have logical reasonable reasons behind the decision, I am sorry for my comment.
    i still havent done the worthless mod. and the reason? because i said so. and because i'm a lazy ass.

instead of doing this mod i cut some screen out of my window and put it in place of my filter. total net hp=1 hp total cost=0$

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

---agreed, and who in hell has time to be putting the mod on for summer and off for winter??? Not me. I go to a great shop and they never reccomended it to me. "Hey man you really need to get the coolant bypass MOD done!!! you could be cranking out another 1/2- 1HP!!!!" "Hold on to something man-I just got the coolant bypass MOD done-wooooooooooo hooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!
    ---"you feel it dude???"---"o hell yeah!!!"

---just joking around guys!!!
    Last edited by LETHALxLS1; 04-19-2007 at 11:33 AM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    99 Formula M6

Whatever, u guys r obviously missing the point; and i already retracted my previous statement because it was wrong, but go ahead and keep bringing it up though.

HUNTER S. THOMPSON FAN Raoul-Duke's Avatar
    for one you get more than 1hp from a tb bypass, dont car who says what...if your engine is running cooler at an overall temperature during times when it would be hotter with heat soak, its a lot better....when ur engine is warm the tb bypass has been proven over and over again to give you round 5rwhp, yes 5rwhp, others that dont believe it can go run into a knife,lol...and why not do it? every little bit helps, and not to mention your engine will be less heat soaked, not by much, but it will... and it takes only bout twenty minutes tops...but hey doo what u guys want
    01 m6 z28 - lid / lt headers / 3' ory w no cats / flowmaster catback w 3' dmh e-cutout / nelson pcm tune

UberTapping Friction Pimp Anthracis's Avatar

18D Cock Diesel
    1999 Z28; 98 SS #2043 RIP

For every 1 degree the intake air is cooled, you will gain 1 horsepower...according to Gale Banks of Banks Engineering. Just concentrate on making the incoming air as cool as possible and you'll be fine. TB bypass is just one small mod on a much larger list. Its cheap enough to do and helps. So do it and be done with it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information