COMP Cams LS1 Billet Tensioner?

Its on page 80 of GMHTP magazine.

My belts have slipped from time to time and BOTH tensioners have been replaced by OEM parts and BOTH belts have been replaced as well. Apparently, theyre going bad again, so I thought this could be an option.

It says you can manually torque the belt, but I dont know how reliable they are nor how user friendly they are.

Do they make BOTH tensioners or just the top one?

And basically my last question is...is this product a good idea?
    99 T/A M6
    LS6 intake, Hooker Coated Long Tubes, Y-pipe w/1 carsound cat, Hooker Catback, MTi Clear Lid, FRA w/ Holley Power Shot, ASP crank pulley, 1.8 RRs, 3.73s w/TA girdle & Eaton Differential, Granatelli SFCs, Pro 5.0 Shifter, LS6 Clutch, Diablo, TByrnes Maf Ends (in winter), All the Free Mods

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

just the top one. and no pulley.

Jegs 249-54025 $166.99

COMP Cams® Billet LS1 Belt Tensioner Provides A Better Solution
    New billet belt tensioner eliminates belt slippage in high performance LS1 engines

The new COMP Cams® Billet LS1 Belt Tensioner is an “essential” performance upgrade for 1998-2002 F-Body LS1 engines, allowing precise control over serpentine belt tension. This CNC machined billet aluminum tensioner is a direct bolt-on replacement for the original equipment spring loaded tensioner and can be torqued to the exact belt tension required. Best of all, it controls damper resonance often encountered in high rpm applications or when aftermarket balancers are utilized. By controlling resonance, belt slippage - a common problem in high performance LS1 engines - is eliminated.

In addition to the performance benefits, the COMP Cams® Billet LS1 Belt Tensioner also features a black anodized finish, with a laser etched COMP Cams® logo, for great looks and protection from engine compartment elements. For more information about the COMP Cams® Billet LS1 Belt Tensioner or any other COMP Cams® product, call us at 1-800-999-0853, or visit us online at www.compcams.com.

REFERENCE: 54025
    Last edited by mrr23; 10-27-2006 at 07:01 PM.

No pulley? Jesus, well can you swap out the one from the OEM piece?

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

i would hope so, seeing as it doesn't come with one and they don't have a part number for one.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

$166..I cant remember what an OEM goes for.. In any case, is this recommended over the OEM from user feedback?

Not sure if its going to apply to me anyway. Its my lower tensioner/belt that is squeaking.

White
    98 Trans AM

I got this type of tensioner from a different manufacturer but it is nice. The original pulley is just held on by a bolt, take it off and stick on the new tensioner. They are a good idea though. As far as your A/C tensioner those come as a full unit with pulley and as far as I know are only spring tension system available. Anyway, I had to do this and it got rid of the squeak I had as well.
    98 T/A: HPE 5.3 Heads, 238/242 113 cam, Kooks 1 7/8 stepped LT headers, Custom Y pipe, Cut out, Borla, NW 90MM TB, FAST 90MM Intake, TB Bypass, Under Drive Power steering and Crank, 150 Dry NOS, Yella Terra rockers, 3400 TC, HPE tuning,

Thread Information