Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

cold air intake kit

i'm tossing around the idea of making a cold air kit for the camaro out of the spectre line of parts. basically they offer a bunch of different angles and lengths of chrome plated piping so that you can customize an intake to fit your vehicle. they also have flex piping and air rams that direct more air into the tubing and ultimately to your filter. you use a cone filter with the kits.

i'm thinking of one of two places for the filter. the first would be in the fender where the air pump is located. i removed the air pump so i should have plenty of room. positive in this location is that it shouldn't get water logged or filthy from road grime as it will be fairly well protected from the elements. the negative is that it won't have a lot of air pushing directly at it it'll be drawing the air towards it in a confined space which could hurt the performance and efficiency of the engine.

the second location would be behind the "catfish smile"...the grill. remove the foam behind the grill and mount the filter back there. positive here would be a lot of airflow at the coolest point on the car. the negative would be that it would be in the direct line for water and a ton of road grime.

the issue that i'm thinking is water. the car is my daily driver during the summer so that means if it's raining i'm still driving the camaro. granted i'm not going to go out and try to keep up with a humvee crossing a creek...i'm just paranoid about water getting into the intake. i'd assume that it would have to be a TON of water and i'd have to draw a lot of it in there for there to be close to any chance of hydrolocking. i had a cold air kit on my last car...but it was a short ram located in the engine bay well protected...but it drew in a lot of hot air also. i want to avoid that by putting the filter in the front of the car (or hell maybe even make a cowl kit to take advantage of my heat extractor cowl induction hood). i just want to make sure that i don't have any water problems.

anyone have any thoughts or tech info on the subject? i've looked at the aem air bypass valve...but that seems to only be for instances where the filter element is completely submerged in water and therefore wouldn't seem to be super relevant to the concerns that i'm having.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Should be plenty of room where the air pump is located. You could probably open up the bottom a bit more, but like you have already recognized, water infiltration will be the issue.

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28

On the older ('93-'97 F-body), the K&N FIPK was located in the same area you are referring to, and it was protected by the plastic panel adjacent to the air dam for the radiator (I removed the panel on my '94 and never had an issue with it). So long as you have the space for it, it should work without any issues.
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28 A4
    SLP cold air intake/lid, SLP smooth bellow, Pacesetter LT's, ORY, Magnaflow exhaust, BMR STB, adjustable Panhard rod, SFC's, LCA's, 1LE sway bars, cross-drilled rotors

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

Fin you mean it was down in the fenderwwall by the air pump or it was behind the grill?
    1999 Z/28

M6 w/ Hurst shifter and SLP skip shift eliminator, drilled rotors, Y3F package, SLP lid w/ K&N filter, VFN fiberglass 2" cowl hood, TSP 1 3/4" headers & ORY

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 1MileCrash:2777027
    Fin you mean it was down in the fenderwwall by the air pump or it was behind the grill?
    Sorry, I should have clarified my comment. It was in the fender well.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

no problem. that's what i figured you meant...just wanted to be sure

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28

I'm interested to see what you come up with. Post up some pics after you get started.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

it might be a bit...gotta keep it on the DL so the fiance doesn't find out. but i'm happy to share when it gets done.

Thread Information