Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

coil packs on LS1

This is a discussion on coil packs on LS1 within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Is there any way to test the coil packs on an LS1? How would you know if one is bad?...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    77

    Black
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

    coil packs on LS1

    Is there any way to test the coil packs on an LS1? How would you know if one is bad?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    2,725
    Are you throwing a code for a particular cyl? You can swap that one with the one next to it and see if the code changes.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    77

    Black
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

    No, not throwing any codes. I have 72k miles on the factory ones and I'm putting in new plugs and plug wires...thought i'd see about testing them out. i don't want to replace all of them if they are fine.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Too Fast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,170

    Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

    The factory coils should be fine. BTW, what kind of plugs/wires are you installing and how did you come up with your decision? I am thinking about changing mine also....

  5. #5
    Nitrous Tuner LS2Tuner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    WestCoast AZ-CALI
    Posts
    4,763

    Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

    Quote Originally Posted by austinWS6 View Post
    No, not throwing any codes. I have 72k miles on the factory ones and I'm putting in new plugs and plug wires...thought i'd see about testing them out. i don't want to replace all of them if they are fine.
    There eighther good or they are not.......... Unless your adding LOTS of cyl. pressure there would be NO need to spend money on aftermarket coils.....
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    77

    Black
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

    MSD-32819 WIRE SET(MSI MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor Spark Plug Wire Sets)

    NGK TR55IX SPARK PLUG (NGK Iridium IX Spark Plugs)

    I got them after reading posts on LS1.com and Austin F-body.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    77

    Black
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

    Cool...thanks...I'll leave them until they start dying.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    77

    Black
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

    I'm starting to lose power in the 3000 rpm band, the clutch is new, and i'm not getting any rpm spike when it happens. Could it be some of the coils or the electrical (not plug wires) going to the coils? Any ideas?

  9. #9
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Beaver Dam KY
    Posts
    7,746

    79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

    Quote Originally Posted by austinWS6 View Post
    I'm starting to lose power in the 3000 rpm band, the clutch is new, and i'm not getting any rpm spike when it happens. Could it be some of the coils or the electrical (not plug wires) going to the coils? Any ideas?
    When is the last time you have changed your fuel filter or cleaned your MAF?

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    77

    Black
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

    I know i've cleaned the MAF not too long ago, I'll have to look in my book to seen when I changed the fuel filter. I know I've done it, just can't remember when....

  11. #11
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Beaver Dam KY
    Posts
    7,746

    79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

    I know most people on here change the fuel filter every third oil change BTW

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    77

    Black
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

    Yeah, I've probably only changed it once, ever. So, maybe I'll start with that and see if it makes a diff. Thanks...

  13. #13
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Beaver Dam KY
    Posts
    7,746

    79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

    Quote Originally Posted by austinWS6 View Post
    Yeah, I've probably only changed it once, ever. So, maybe I'll start with that and see if it makes a diff. Thanks...
    Good luck

  14. #14
    Senior Member Too Fast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,170

    Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

    Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    I know most people on here change the fuel filter every third oil change BTW
    IMO that is massive overkill. Every 30k is just fine for the big filters our cars have. So, I don't think that is causing your 3k issue, Austin. Could be a low output on your fuel pump pressure.

  15. #15
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Beaver Dam KY
    Posts
    7,746

    79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

    Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    IMO that is massive overkill. Every 30k is just fine for the big filters our cars have. So, I don't think that is causing your 3k issue, Austin. Could be a low output on your fuel pump pressure.
    Overkill true, but they are 3 bucks a piece and take 5 minutes to change... Worth the peace of mind.

  16. #16
    Veteran 0rion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    22,519

    98 Formula
    06 duramax

    PE delay is 3200 I think so it seems like you're losing the power right as you go into PE. I would look at fueling first to see if you're lean there or even too rich. Both can cause the car to nose dive.

  17. #17
    Member Speed_kills_WS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Anderson, SC
    Age
    37
    Posts
    403

    Black
    2002 TA WS6 M6

    I haven't changed my fuel filter in over 10,000 miles now. lol. Guess thats a possible reason my gas mileage sucks. 16 miles to the gallon in a six-speed is not very good...

  18. #18
    Senior Member Too Fast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,170

    Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

    Quote Originally Posted by Speed_kills_WS6 View Post
    I haven't changed my fuel filter in over 10,000 miles now. lol. Guess thats a possible reason my gas mileage sucks. 16 miles to the gallon in a six-speed is not very good...
    My guess is the cold weather.....................and a heavy right foot!

  19. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA
    Age
    58
    Posts
    26

    Barbados Blue
    2004 GTO

    You can run a test with HP Tuners looking for random miss-fires and it will tell you what cylinder. Then swap sides and test again and verify the miss-firing cylinder moved to the other side. 15 min test.

  20. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    77

    Black
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

    What is PE delay?

    Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    PE delay is 3200 I think so it seems like you're losing the power right as you go into PE. I would look at fueling first to see if you're lean there or even too rich. Both can cause the car to nose dive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Coil Packs
    By darkside240z in forum External Engine
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-14-2010, 10:54 AM
  2. FS: LS1 coil packs
    By MagicMan in forum Parts For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-14-2007, 02:43 PM
  3. WTB: LS1 coil packs
    By MagicMan in forum Parts Wanted / Trade
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-19-2007, 09:51 AM
  4. WTB Coil packs
    By phoenix1987 in forum Parts Wanted / Trade
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-14-2006, 02:53 PM
  5. MSD coil packs for LS1
    By Liquifire in forum External Engine
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 03-08-2006, 11:05 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •