Red
    1998 Camaro z28

Cool Clunk under drivers floorboard...

So I have Hooker super comp long tubes on my 98 z28. At first I thought the motor mounts were going out because under normal to heavy excelleration there is a very load clunking noise under the drivers floor board. I still think its the motor mounts because my headers are only about 1/4 of an inch from my floorboard and I can see were its hitting. The only thing that gives me doubt about it, is that the knocking randomly accurs. Sometimes it does it and sometimes it doesn't even under hard excelleration. Just want to know any other ideas before I dump 350 on motor and tranny mounts...

white
    2000 camaro Z-28

Have you checked you torque arm?? running from the tranny to the rear end?

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Definitely sounds like the exhaust is hitting the floor.

Poly mounts should fix the problem. Where are you getting $350 from though??

You can get the Prothane Motor and Transmission mounts kit from the WS6 store for only $61.50.

Red
    1998 Camaro z28

Yeah i've checked the torque bolts and bushings on that seems fine... yeah i got the poly mounts for like 60 but i can't find anyone around here to put them in for a decent price... I dont have a lift and i live in a apartment complex... I have a guy around here thats prob. gonna help me do them in a few weeks tho... So we'll see

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by oneclean98z View Post
    Yeah i've checked the torque bolts and bushings on that seems fine... yeah i got the poly mounts for like 60 but i can't find anyone around here to put them in for a decent price... I dont have a lift and i live in a apartment complex... I have a guy around here thats prob. gonna help me do them in a few weeks tho... So we'll see
    I did mine with ramps, jackstands, and hydraulic floor jacks. You just need to put enough upward pressure on the motor to take the stress off the mounts and you can unbolt them, one side at a time. Its not fun, but it can definitely be done.

Mufflex makes some hangers that are supposed to keep the LT's from rattling P/N: LS1-HR $40.00 plus s/h.

Red
    1998 Camaro z28

Thumbs up

Awesome I'm doing the prothane mount swap this weekend so we'll see if that does the trick if not it looks like that mufflex axhaust mount will do the trick... Yeah no wonder fbodys with just catbacks have been beating my car... the knock sensor has been set off everytime i leave my house(i get on it to pull onto a busy street) thus retarding the timing thus leaving me with shit for power....

Thread Information