Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

cherry bomb mufflers

This is a discussion on cherry bomb mufflers within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Oh the fond memories... Yes everyone, when you washed your car you had better believe that you sprayed the water ...

Limited Edition #1242
    2002 Camaro SS LE

Oh the fond memories... Yes everyone, when you washed your car you had better believe that you sprayed the water into the tailpipes until the water poured out. Usually black, but then you knew you were "getting the bad stuff out" when you fired it up and blew black water everywhere, depending upon where your exhaust exited... At the rear of the car, behind the rear tires, in front of the rear tires, or directly under the trans because you were running glasspacks with collectors welded to them. What was the point of welding "turn downs" (we used to just call these what they really are - Exhaust tips) because the wonderful noise made your bottom vibrate because it was directly under your seat!!! Man, can you older guys remember the head rush you could get? I mean the exhuast fumes right there, under your seat!!!! Yes, performance days boys and girls and to think that the newer generation actually believes they "invented" bullets and...GULP "street racing". I should really take my medicine now, my heart is going pitter patter with the thought putting on a new exhaust with glasspacks and then after driving home realizing that it wasn't loud enough so I had to cut the pipes off at the muffler and THEN it was loud. Did people really want me to pull my car over to talk or did the police just like the sound......
    Mike

torch red
    1999 T.A /A4/ T-top

Those thing are not even for rednecks anymore. they have moved on. them things sounded bad then and still sound bad now.

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    next weeks auto history lesson: Flipping the lid over on the air cleaner, the original cold air intake.
    History lesson hell, us country boys still do all that stuff, half the guys in my high school run glasspacks, some even run straight pipes and quite a few have their air cleaner lids flipped over for better flow. How about poppin the hood to get better air flow ever heard of that one? The cops don't write tickets for noise around here, they just wait for someone to do something stupid and then get them for exhibition of speed and reckless driving.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '99 T/A WS6 M6

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by SSTODD View Post
    Go ahead and wake up the entire trailer park if you want.
    99 WS6 M6 NBM !Cags,!Cats,Vinci/Crane,Hurst,Detroit TruTrac,3:73,31 Splne,Edel.Race LT's,ORY,QTEC,Flow,ARP,Percy,MSD,SLP,AC/DELCO,Bosch,GMPP,Cntrfrce DF,Htchkiss,Susp.Tech,Lakewood,285's,Bilstein,Pro-kit,SLP,RK Sprt,A/Meter,Red Optima,Magnaflow S/S Tips,Hd Pins,Tint,Fire.Ex,[*4 Hot Rod Power Tours*]

Limited Edition #1242
    2002 Camaro SS LE

Flip the air lid, yep, been there done that... We never popped the hood, hadn't heard of that one! If we wanted more air, we usually just removed the hood completely!!
    Mike

Red
    1999 Z-28 convertible

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    Finally, someone that actually remembers glasspacks and what they were in their hay day. Everyone renamed them "bullet" mufflers and all of the sudden they're a godsend.
    I had a set on an old cutlass when I was in high school. 12" glasspacks with small exhaust ( don't remember the size but 2" or less) and when I hit "passing gear" ( another term that probably needs explained ) it would damn near bust out the windows of the car I was passing. I remember everyone would cruise around and get everything nice and hot then go to a car wash and spray water up the tail pipes to bust the glass to make them louder. Did it work? No idea, they were already loud as hell to begin with.

next weeks auto history lesson: Flipping the lid over on the air cleaner, the original cold air intake.
    I cannot wait to hear an LS1 moan with lid inverted. Old school here!

Old man with an F-Body!!! Kajun Taz's Avatar

Red/Neutral(tan)
    '02 WS6/K&N airfilter.

Quote Originally Posted by SPECOPS94 View Post
    Flip the air lid, yep, been there done that... We never popped the hood, hadn't heard of that one! If we wanted more air, we usually just removed the hood completely!!
    Mike
    GOD, do I remember doing that to my old Galaxie 500. Had a GIANT hood-scoop for my tunnel ram/dual carb intake, but also had4 hood-clips with hinges removed for fast removal of the complete hood when the need arrised... which seemed to be every Friday and Saturnday nights during our old 70's & 80's red-light-drag-strip-runs down in Houma, Louisiana.
    PROUD father of a United States Marine.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by dixieboy View Post
    Those thing are not even for rednecks anymore. they have moved on. them things sounded bad then and still sound bad now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information