pewter
    1999 Camaro SS

change to 160 thermostat

Can someone tell me what should be done when changing to a 160 degree thermostat in an LS1 99 Camaro. I know that I should have the ECM programmed to have the fans come on earlier. But is there anything else that will rear its ugly head?

You mean with the tune, not enough heat, etc? None that I'm aware of.

Log the car with the new thermotstat to determine where to set the fans,,,because the aftermarket thermostats don't actually operate in the 160 range. They have a crack open point of about 172 degrees and are fully open around 175-176 degrees give or take.
    Log to be sure and see where the car settles in while cruising down the road, but you will most likely end up setting your fans around the 180-185 degree range.
    I also go into the idle learn tables and reset those temps too,,,,I beleive thats what it's called,,,haven't looked in a while,,,,but I drop them to around 140 degrees or so that way the engine always crosses that threshold while warming up.
    Some of the more experienced computer tuners may know the exact table I am referring to.

Thats about it. Hope that helps.

pewter
    2000 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Log the car with the new thermotstat to determine where to set the fans,,,because the aftermarket thermostats don't actually operate in the 160 range. They have a crack open point of about 172 degrees and are fully open around 175-176 degrees give or take.
    Log to be sure and see where the car settles in while cruising down the road, but you will most likely end up setting your fans around the 180-185 degree range.
    I also go into the idle learn tables and reset those temps too,,,,I beleive thats what it's called,,,haven't looked in a while,,,,but I drop them to around 140 degrees or so that way the engine always crosses that threshold while warming up.
    Some of the more experienced computer tuners may know the exact table I am referring to.

Thats about it. Hope that helps.
    Good advice i too was planning on the swap thanx!!!

black
    2001 Camaro SS

I just got a 160 deg thermostat and have yet to put it in. Is it a bad thing to just put it in? Will it mess with my car?

White
    1998 Trans Am m6

I have been running a 160 for about 6 months, keeps it running cooler going down the road, takes a little longer in traffic to heat up

pewter
    1999 Camaro SS

Thank you for the advice.

black
    2001 Camaro SS

Rob did you get it tuned and what not or did you just put it in.

White
    1998 Trans Am m6

I just installed it, no problems or issues. I recently got a awsome tune from Frost to take advantage of it by having the fans come on early.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

my car hangs out just below the 185 mark i think. bottom mark is labeled 160, then theres 3 ticks, and then another marked 260 i think, it stays just below the first tick mark.

does that seem ok?

Black
    99 Z28

Good thread, I ordered my 160 thermostat like 2 days ago, waiting for it to come. Probably going to wait till spring now though, since it is starting to really cool off here in PA.

Quote Originally Posted by chevyss1234 View Post
    I just got a 160 deg thermostat and have yet to put it in. Is it a bad thing to just put it in? Will it mess with my car?
    No,,,you can install it without a tune and everything will be fine. You'll notice the car running cooler if you are moving,,,,,but sitting in traffic it will heat up to the original temperature since the factory fan settings come on around the 200 degree range.
    Doesn't hurt anything,,,just a large temp swing.

Quote Originally Posted by Spikito View Post
    my car hangs out just below the 185 mark i think. bottom mark is labeled 160, then theres 3 ticks, and then another marked 260 i think, it stays just below the first tick mark.

does that seem ok?
    Hard to say,,,those factory gauges are all over the place. Without any real numbers to go by on the gauge it could be anything.

You really need to log the car with tuning software to see what the actual temp is that the ECM is reading.

Logging my car I can watch the temps swing on the computer from 160 degrees up to 195 but the gauge in the car hardly moves at all.

The car gauge is really only good at telling you if there is a serious problem and the engine is toooo hot. Thats about it really.

black
    2001 Camaro SS

thanks firbirdjones

blue
    2002 Camaro Z28

http://www.lmperformance.com/763/1.html

would this be a good alternative to getting a thermostat, seeing as it controls when ur fans turn on or is it just better to go with the thermostat

That switch only allows you to turn the fans on manually. Thats a great option to be able to do that, especially at the track for cool down time,,,but while on the street and the engine running,,, the engine will still only cool down to whatever thermostat you have in there.
    So if you are still running the factory high temp thermostat ( mine was 195) Thats about as cool as the motor will run reguardless of how much the fans run.
    A thermostat is really the first step,,then it's best to re-flash the computer and change the fan settings that way,,,,,from there it would be great to have the manual control switch. Sorry, probably not what you wanted to hear.

blue
    2002 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    That switch only allows you to turn the fans on manually. Thats a great option to be able to do that, especially at the track for cool down time,,,but while on the street and the engine running,,, the engine will still only cool down to whatever thermostat you have in there.
    So if you are still running the factory high temp thermostat ( mine was 195) Thats about as cool as the motor will run reguardless of how much the fans run.
    A thermostat is really the first step,,then it's best to re-flash the computer and change the fan settings that way,,,,,from there it would be great to have the manual control switch. Sorry, probably not what you wanted to hear.
    actually im glad i heard that cause then i would been like wtf if i got that switch and it didnt work

Thread Information