Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

catted true duals

Is anyone running true dual exhaust with long tubes and cats?
    If so what brand or where to get it?
    Any pics?

Impounded

NBM
    1998 Trans AM

lol at that...if I were to do it i'd go with a smaller universal cat depending on how much ground clearance you have

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

I see the joke in it. However, with the new federal EPA standards going into effect this year Ohio will no longer be compliant. One of the potential solutions they have is to require some type of inspection on cars. Obviously no cats will not pass a sniffer or visual inspection. OBDII can be made to pass with the help of a tuner.
    I am not sure even with cats a dual setup would pass. Just doing research on it now. I love the sound of the duals, just don't want another car that smells like gasoline all the time. So whatever I do it will be with cats.
    My other option is QTP long tubes and a catted y. If there was a catback that would give a sound anything like duals with this setup I might go for it.

Impounded

NBM
    1998 Trans AM

A catted true dual system makes sense for EPA laws but the question is where to get a cat that will fit on the end of long tubes without getting ripped off at the next pot hole? I'm not an exhaust guru but I don't think having cats will result in loss of power compared to no cats...am i wrong?

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

the amount of loss on a high flow cats compared to catless is barely noticeable if at all.

I would stay about from the catted QTP y pipes..hangs low and looks like shit..trust me i know...i have one..it had the cats removed but still..looks awful..and i need to change it.

there are some really nice high flow, low profile cats ...if you get a good shop to do a set of custom duals where they tuck in ..you shouldnt have too big of a problem ...with most exhaust systems ..the headers are the lowest point and make the most contact.

NBM
    1998Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Daa Bears View Post
    A catted true dual system makes sense for EPA laws but the question is where to get a cat that will fit on the end of long tubes without getting ripped off at the next pot hole? I'm not an exhaust guru but I don't think having cats will result in loss of power compared to no cats...am i wrong?
    Dynatechs are 11 1/2" long by 4" round. 2 band clamps and your not but an inch bigger around than your collectors.
    TSP 347 SB, TSP Stage 2.5 PRC LS6, TSP MS4, Performabuilt Stage 2 4L60E, Yank PT4000, 4.11s, Fast 90/90, FTRA Cold air intake+all the free mods, Dynatech Supermaxx Exaust System, DMH Cutouts, Hooker Catback/FTRA Tips. Tuned by RPM/Garner NC. 11.28@119

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Z28_Driver View Post
    Is anyone running true dual exhaust with long tubes and cats?
    If so what brand or where to get it?
    Any pics?
    personally i would talk to kooks and see how much they would charge for a custom dual set up..they wont be cheap..but you will have one of the cleanest and tightest fitting duals around.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    personally i would talk to kooks and see how much they would charge for a custom dual set up..they wont be cheap..but you will have one of the cleanest and tightest fitting duals around.
    I'll take a look at that. Don't have a huge bankroll right now, but I can wait a few months and save some more if needed.
    Any recommendation on the cats or the mufflers to go in the duals?

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Z28_Driver View Post
    I'll take a look at that. Don't have a huge bankroll right now, but I can wait a few months and save some more if needed.
    Any recommendation on the cats or the mufflers to go in the duals?
    borla X1s or magnaflows

cats..i dont know..i dont run them anymore

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

A true dual system from QTP is a no go for the forseable future. Their sales rep said that a true dual system could not be made to fit without sacrificing ground clearance.
    No answer on the phone from Kooks, so I sent an email. I will post the response when I get it. Their headers look about the same quality as QTP, so the brand doesn't matter that much. Just more expensive from what I can see.
    It just doesn't make sense to run dual exhaust into a single pipe and then have dual outlets after the muffler. Even if it does reduce ground clearance a little, its not that big of a deal. The sound makes it worth it.

Onyx Black
    00' Z-28

Just received my Kooks 1 3/4" x 1 7/8" x 3" Stepped Stainless Steel Long Tube Headers and a pair of Spintech Super Pro Street 4x6x9 Mufflers both from Maryland Speed, and a pair of Thunderbolt Metallic Cats from Performance Curve. Going to install next weekend.

Thread Information