black
    2004 gto

Catalytic converter removal law.

i live in florida and was wondering about the laws of removing the cat. we dont have any emmision testing but i heard stories of how its a federal law and can get fined 10k if i take it out. while this might be true is it somthing commonly enforced?

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Quote Originally Posted by jjc239 View Post
    i live in florida and was wondering about the laws of removing the cat. we dont have any emmision testing but i heard stories of how its a federal law and can get fined 10k if i take it out. while this might be true is it somthing commonly enforced?
    I've never heard of it enforced, and many (myself included) do not have any form of emissions equipment on our cars any longer. I don't think you would ever have a problem.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

No testing? Ditch em!

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

It varies from state to state..

Here (SE.Pa) even in areas that do not require emissions testing the vehicle has to pass a visual..

Meaning the proper emissions equipment has to @ least apear to be in operation and present..

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

i won't worry about it since we don't have inspections.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Simple put in FL if you get caught and you have someone that even looks and wants to be a real hard ass that is wanting to pile on as many charges as possible you will get fined.

You will then be order to replace.

black
    2004 gto

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Simple put in FL if you get caught and you have someone that even looks and wants to be a real hard ass that is wanting to pile on as many charges as possible you will get fined.

You will then be order to replace.
    what kind of fine are we talkin about? becuase i heard through the vines that its a 10k fine

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

depends on the state. I think that was for shops that would cut them out.

The Generals Finest Deviant LS1's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Trans Am

It is possible that if someone really wants to be hardass they can get you for not having a cat but it's really 1 in a million chance. I have yet to hear of someone getting pulled over and getting a fine for no cats and there are so many modded cars around here that have no cats and "illegal" exhaust systems.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

catalytic converters are mandated by the EPA (Fed. govt) and most states have varying penalties. The penalties are also usually different depending on if you're an individual or a business doing it.

http://www.catalyticconverter.org/law/index.htm

Florida law

Looks like in Florida you could be looking at 60 days/ $500 fine for a first offense. (that's as of 2008....I couldn't find anything newer)

98 Formula
    06 duramax

link to the original 1974 EPA Memorandum that references the $10k maximum fine for violations:

EPA sheet

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

i think (my opinion) that as long as the vehicle is not too loud you would be okay. It is still ilegal like others had mention but I had live in FL for a while and i never seen this law enforced. I do see them pulling over people that have really loud vehicles and are messing around with them.

If you are not comfortable then replace your cats if needed or keep them. You will be on the safe side.

if I do headers im still putting cats. My car exhaust stinks with cats so i can imaging how it would be without them.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    i think (my opinion) that as long as the vehicle is not too loud you would be okay. It is still ilegal like others had mention but I had live in FL for a while and i never seen this law enforced. I do see them pulling over people that have really loud vehicles and are messing around with them.

If you are not comfortable then replace your cats if needed or keep them. You will be on the safe side.

if I do headers im still putting cats. My car exhaust stinks with cats so i can imaging how it would be without them.
    I don't run cats on mine but I know the risks involved. That's why I always try to post the laws and penalties for people when they ask this question. They need to know the risks they're taking. Also, throwing some hi flow cats on the ends of long tubes doesn't help you either. If you read the letter of the law you really can't modify the exhaust from stock at all. It would probably look better to a policeman or judge if you had them on there as you were at least trying to abide by the law but at the end of the day that's just as illegal as taking them off altogether.

BLACK
    2001 T/A VERT.

I live in texas & we have inspection... my car has had kooks headers & no cats since 2002!!....It has all coads tuned out & passes every year w/no prob.! I think because it is fairly quiet & sits low that they never do a visual?...sooooo is it illegal? YES will you get caught? prob. not as long a you use good judgment & don't run around open headers say-n "here I am!!" LOL!!!!

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I don't run cats on mine but I know the risks involved. That's why I always try to post the laws and penalties for people when they ask this question. They need to know the risks they're taking. Also, throwing some hi flow cats on the ends of long tubes doesn't help you either. If you read the letter of the law you really can't modify the exhaust from stock at all. It would probably look better to a policeman or judge if you had them on there as you were at least trying to abide by the law but at the end of the day that's just as illegal as taking them off altogether.
    I understand what you are saying I'm not saying it's legal to take them off. Like you said is a risk that we take. Orion so are you saying that high flow cats won't help with the smell? just curious before I decide to get them.
    Last edited by JayTA98; 03-24-2011 at 08:54 PM.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by TRANS-DAD View Post
    I live in texas & we have inspection... my car has had kooks headers & no cats since 2002!!....It has all coads tuned out & passes every year w/no prob.! I think because it is fairly quiet & sits low that they never do a visual?...sooooo is it illegal? YES will you get caught? prob. not as long a you use good judgment & don't run around open headers say-n "here I am!!" LOL!!!!
    lol agree.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    I understand what you are saying I'm not saying it's legal to take them off. Like you said is a risk that we take. Orion so are you saying that high flow cats won't help with the smell? just curious before I decide to get them.
    I would imagine that they would help with the smell. I'm not saying hi-flow cats don't work. I'm just saying if you go by the letter of the law they're no more legal than removing your cats altogether....from the laws viewpoint. Environmentally they're better than nothing and given the choice again I would probably opt for the catted Y.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I would imagine that they would help with the smell. I'm not saying hi-flow cats don't work. I'm just saying if you go by the letter of the law they're no more legal than removing your cats altogether....from the laws viewpoint. Environmentally they're better than nothing and given the choice again I would probably opt for the catted Y.
    gotcha thanks.

Thread Information