Thread: Cat Eliminator

03 Terminator

Cat Eliminator

I have a 3 inch Y-Pipe and 3 inch I-Pipe that i got for $50 from a friend of mine who switched to a X-Pipe. I plan on keeping the stock manifolds on for the time being since im on a tight budget and cant afford LTs at the time. Does anyone know where i can get cat eliminator pipes without spending around $250 on just the pipes that take the place of the cats? Or could i just get the muffler shop to make sum? Would it be hard for the muffler shop to fab up some nice pipes to meet up to the stock manifolds? or am i going to just have to leave the cats on until i get LTs? Thanks

Ryan

03 Terminator

nobody knows or has any input?

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

I had a muffler shop cut my cats out weld in new pipe and hang my new muffler for $169.00

The issue is finding a shop that will cut them out against emission law. If you have problems with that you can take the cats off and have them cut them and weld pipe in between the brackets and then put it back on.

Well actually if your going to go thru all that, just take them off and hollow them out.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 SS Camaro

Cats

I took my cats into a shop and had the guy fab me up some pipe with matching flanges. Cost me $80 cash. I pulled the cats out and put the new pipes back in. Like the other guy said, it is tough to find a shop that will work around the law. The new pipes work great and removing the cats makes the car quite a bit louder.

Skinny

HUGGER ORANGE
    1999 camaro SS #145

how much horsepower can you gain by removing the cats and how louder will it be i have slp loud mouth on there now and its kinda loud now will it sound better with the cats removed

Red
    2000 Trans Am A4

ive seen the cat eliminator pipes on ebay before i think it was like 50$ with shipping and handling not to bad, that if you arent able to find a shop and have a welder at home or know someone who does. by the way those who have gutted the cats is it hard to do?

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 SS Camaro

Cats

I don't know if there is any HP added. Maybe just some throttle response and the cool sound of a straight exhaust. I am not the guy to ask about loudmouth exhaust. It is just way too loud for me even with cats. I would have to assume that without cats it would be too loud to handle. Although, it depends on what you use your car for.

Good luck

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

from stock to no cats, id think maybe 5-7rwhp. high flow cats and no cats..about 1-2 hp. not much. Id suggest getting a cut out too. not too much money. 25 bucks from summit and you'll gain power from that.

HUGGER ORANGE
    1999 camaro SS #145

if removing the cats will throw a code will it affect the performance in any way if not who cares about a little dash light if it does let me know and what i can do to fix it

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 99hoss View Post
    if removing the cats will throw a code will it affect the performance in any way if not who cares about a little dash light if it does let me know and what i can do to fix it
    The problem with leaving the SES light on is that you won't know if something else goes out on the vehicle, because the light is already on.

As far as eliminating the cats, it not worth the trouble if you plan on getting longtubes in the future. Just wait and get an ORY when that time comes. The cats they put on today's vehicles flow a lot better than they used to and you won't notice much of a gain, if at all.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

$200+!!!!!!!!!! Screw that man, get some headers!

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

$238 for those "test tube" pipes?! What?! Since you'd have to remove the cats to install those anyway, just gut the cats (it's very easy), reinstall and save the $238 for something else.

Better yet, I agree with Mike, spend a little more and get headers.

HUGGER ORANGE
    1999 camaro SS #145

Slp

ive ordered some SLP long tubes ,ypipe ,highflow cats all SLP are they hard to install yourself and will there by a huge difference from the stock headers what can i expect let me know thanks.

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

I've heard a lot of LS1 owners say that the SLP longtubes are the worst for ground clearance. With a tune, you should see good gains, 30+hp. As far as install, with the right tools and a little know-how, should take about 5 hours w/o a lift. Takes some people a weekend. Just take your time, use plenty of penetrating oil, be safe when putting the car in the air, and prepare to bleed a little from the knuckles.

HUGGER ORANGE
    1999 camaro SS #145

ok thanks these headers set that low to the ground that they will bottom out?

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

If you're careful, they shouldn't. Just be careful around potholes, uneven pavement, and speed bumps.

Thread Information