Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 40 of 40

cat delete??

This is a discussion on cat delete?? within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Glad I could help, and thanks for the compliment....

  1. #21
    Moderator 35th-ANV-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wherever life takes me
    Posts
    12,465

    Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

    Glad I could help, and thanks for the compliment.

  2. #22
    Member speedyWS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    U.K.
    Posts
    494

    Pewter
    2002 WS6 TA

    Hi Guys...,

    Well.... after the car went to a mechanic buds workshop, it transpired that the rattlin' cat had loose innards, and after deciding to just remove these innards and then subsequently "gut" the other cat it now drives fine again (ie no rattling and clanking)... but after a couple of days it has fired up the SES light on the dash! ( still driving fine though)

    Am i to assume this is due to working on the cats and is the result of this work?!

    I have to say that although i understand that "fault codes get thrown" on the dash, just how do they show on the dash and is this how the cat work would show up, as an SES light?

    lastly...coincidences aside...am i to assume it is safe to drive until i get it tuned out when i have a dyno run in a few days time?

    The dyno run, as mentioned in a previous post, is to determine what needs a tweak/attention and hopefully reveal that it is an o2 sensor related code.

    Look forward to any thoughts or advice, as usual

    Thanks a bunch

    Trev )

  3. #23
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    24

    black
    2000 ss

    Quote Originally Posted by speedyWS6 View Post
    Hi Guys...,

    Well.... after the car went to a mechanic buds workshop, it transpired that the rattlin' cat had loose innards, and after deciding to just remove these innards and then subsequently "gut" the other cat it now drives fine again (ie no rattling and clanking)... but after a couple of days it has fired up the SES light on the dash! ( still driving fine though)

    Am i to assume this is due to working on the cats and is the result of this work?!

    I have to say that although i understand that "fault codes get thrown" on the dash, just how do they show on the dash and is this how the cat work would show up, as an SES light?

    lastly...coincidences aside...am i to assume it is safe to drive until i get it tuned out when i have a dyno run in a few days time?

    The dyno run, as mentioned in a previous post, is to determine what needs a tweak/attention and hopefully reveal that it is an o2 sensor related code.

    Look forward to any thoughts or advice, as usual

    Thanks a bunch

    Trev )

    dude - where abouts are you in the UK as you seem to be doing what I'm looking to do shortly... would love to be able to listen to yours and decide whether it's something that I want to do/live with... also be interested to see if all the SES issues are fully resolved by your mechanic

  4. #24
    Member speedyWS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    U.K.
    Posts
    494

    Pewter
    2002 WS6 TA

    Hi Waylander!

    I am down near Southampton and it's nice to hear from another UK bod on here!

    Send us a pm and i could give you a call if you wish....landline though, i am such a tight git!

    Trev.. )

  5. #25
    Moderator 35th-ANV-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wherever life takes me
    Posts
    12,465

    Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

    Questions answered in order that you asked...

    YES. But if you want to be absolutely sure, have the codes read and post up the codes here. I am 99% positive you now have a SES light because you have essentially removed your cats. The PCM is not receiving the proper voltage signal from your (2) rear O2 sensors since your cats are now not there (working). This has no affect on the car's driving manners. You can drive your car like this. It won't hurt anything and is not damaging to the engine in any way.

    YES. See above explanation

    Yes. You are safe. The only downside affect of not having cats is that you will smell the exhaust odor. Here is a link for you to read if you want to know more about what exactly is happening when the gases enter the catalytic converter or what is does. http://autorepair.about.com/od/gloss...t_catalyti.htm

  6. #26
    Senior Member Too Fast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,170

    Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

    Quote Originally Posted by speedyWS6 View Post
    Hi Guys...,

    Well.... after the car went to a mechanic buds workshop, it transpired that the rattlin' cat had loose innards, and after deciding to just remove these innards and then subsequently "gut" the other cat it now drives fine again (ie no rattling and clanking)... but after a couple of days it has fired up the SES light on the dash! ( still driving fine though)

    Am i to assume this is due to working on the cats and is the result of this work?!

    I have to say that although i understand that "fault codes get thrown" on the dash, just how do they show on the dash and is this how the cat work would show up, as an SES light?

    lastly...coincidences aside...am i to assume it is safe to drive until i get it tuned out when i have a dyno run in a few days time?

    The dyno run, as mentioned in a previous post, is to determine what needs a tweak/attention and hopefully reveal that it is an o2 sensor related code.
    Look forward to any thoughts or advice, as usual

    Thanks a bunch

    Trev )

    I just got thru reading this thread for the first time. Everybody who has given advice or explanation has it spot-on.

    So, to answer your questions that I highlighted, the answer is yes, yes, yes, and no sort of. No sort of, because the code should be for catalyst efficiency, not a rear O2 sensor code, but the rear O2 sensors are what determine the catalytic convertor operation. What the PCM looks for is for the rear 2 O2 sensors to have a nearly steady voltage. This tells the PCM that the convertors are working as designed. If the signal they send closely mirriors the front O2 sensors (which they are now since the cats are gutted), this is what sets the catalyst efficiency code. Unless you damaged the rear O2 sensors while you were gutting them.


  7. #27
    Senior Member Too Fast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,170

    Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

    Dang I was trying to look all smart and 35th beat me to it!

  8. #28
    Moderator 35th-ANV-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wherever life takes me
    Posts
    12,465

    Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

    Ha! We were typing at the same time.

  9. #29
    Member speedyWS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    U.K.
    Posts
    494

    Pewter
    2002 WS6 TA

    Thanks to all who have responded to my thread!

    'Tis nice to know there is help out there. I have not had the car long and it is already a source of pleasure with everybody gawking at it!

    I could drive a mundanemobile for the amount of driving i do, but hey...always wanted one!

    Thanks again guys and i'l post when i have the dyno stuff done and let you know whats what!

    Trev... )

  10. #30
    Senior Member Too Fast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,170

    Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

    Quote Originally Posted by speedyWS6 View Post
    Thanks to all who have responded to my thread!

    'Tis nice to know there is help out there. I have not had the car long and it is already a source of pleasure with everybody gawking at it!

    I could drive a mundanemobile for the amount of driving i do, but hey...always wanted one!

    Thanks again guys and i'l post when i have the dyno stuff done and let you know whats what!

    Trev... )


    Your're welcome, glad we could help. And I am sure you do get a lot of people gawking at that car, a WS6 is anything but mundane!

  11. #31
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    wakefield mass
    Posts
    7

    gray
    2000

    Any one make Cat delete pipes for the stock exhaust manifolds. i would like to delete them but i have not seen anyone selling them for manifold just headers

  12. #32
    Senior Member Too Fast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,170

    Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

    Quote Originally Posted by badseed2000 View Post
    Any one make Cat delete pipes for the stock exhaust manifolds. i would like to delete them but i have not seen anyone selling them for manifold just headers
    I read here that somebody does, but I can't remember who. The HP gain is minimal, FYI.

  13. #33
    Member speedyWS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    U.K.
    Posts
    494

    Pewter
    2002 WS6 TA

    Guys....

    I have read a thread on this site regarding the exhaust becoming rather raspy after cat removal and it is this one.....

    Anyone TIRED of RASPY EXHAUST!!!?????

    .....After a good read i am wondering if this "cheap" cat route is one i could usefully follow as mine has unquestionably become more raspy to the point it irritates!

    There are a few suppliers on ebay after a good look and i wonder if anybody has recommendations as to who to buy from or who to avoid!?

    I am guessing that the SLP cats which have been gutted are a pretty good match for physical size???

    I do look forward to hearing back as i am keen to order up and get them fitted as i see no point in a dyno run/tune before i fit any!

    Thanks guys

    Trev... )

  14. #34
    Senior Member Too Fast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,170

    Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

    You'll have to hear from other people then me on this one, I have Hooker LT headers/ORY/Aerochamber muffler, it sounds pretty good, very minor rasp. Now the muffler I had on before the Aerochamber was damn loud and raspy.

    I did like scaring the parking attendents in the underground lot when I started the car tho! I used to back in so the exhaust was aimed their way and start the car by giving it 10% throttle or so and it would explode to life!

  15. #35
    Moderator 35th-ANV-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wherever life takes me
    Posts
    12,465

    Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

    You might want to start a new thread for your exhaust questions. You will probably get more responses. I have Kook's LTs, a Kooks Y, no cats, and a SLP LM-II exhaust. Mine is loud as fawk.

  16. #36
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    24

    black
    2000 ss

    Quote Originally Posted by speedyWS6 View Post
    Hi Waylander!

    I am down near Southampton and it's nice to hear from another UK bod on here!

    Send us a pm and i could give you a call if you wish....landline though, i am such a tight git!

    Trev.. )

    things are a little 'up in the air' (middle of a separation) at the moment (plus I'm off to Spain for the next week so I'll hold fire on the for the time being)... mind you there are 2 good shows to come to if you feel like being a little less

    lol

    18th (I think) is the Damn Yankees summer slam at North Weald Airfield in Essex which is normally a good show
    then
    August Bank Holiday is the NASC Summer Nationals which is probably the best show of the year in this country
    then I can hear what you;ve done in person

  17. #37
    Senior Member Too Fast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,170

    Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

    Quote Originally Posted by waylander View Post
    things are a little 'up in the air' (middle of a separation) at the moment (plus I'm off to Spain for the next week so I'll hold fire on the for the time being)... mind you there are 2 good shows to come to if you feel like being a little less

    Click for full size Click for full size lol

    18th (I think) is the Damn Yankees summer slam at North Weald Airfield in Essex which is normally a good show
    then
    August Bank Holiday is the NASC Summer Nationals which is probably the best show of the year in this country
    then I can hear what you;ve done in person
    Must be a Brit thing. Pie-keyed?

  18. #38
    Member speedyWS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    U.K.
    Posts
    494

    Pewter
    2002 WS6 TA

    Good idea 35th....


    I will pose the question again about the exhaust as i really do need to address the raspyness that is there now!

    And to answer the "pie key" thing.... Think "Pikey" and it means a Gypsy or traveller and they are know for being tight and on the scrounge and so on!!

    Not... i may add.... that it describes me

    Thanks guys!

    Trev... )

  19. #39
    Senior Member Schmalgar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Alpharetta, Ga
    Age
    45
    Posts
    1,060

    04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

    Quote Originally Posted by BillieJean99 View Post
    And BTW, badass Camaro man!

  20. #40
    Senior Member Too Fast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,170

    Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

    Quote Originally Posted by speedyWS6 View Post
    Good idea 35th....


    I will pose the question again about the exhaust as i really do need to address the raspyness that is there now!

    And to answer the "pie key" thing.... Think "Pikey" and it means a Gypsy or traveller and they are know for being tight and on the scrounge and so on!!

    Not... i may add.... that it describes me

    Thanks guys!

    Trev... )
    OIC LOL. That's how my mom always described my dad, as being tight with the $$$. She would say he's so tight his elbow squeaks, now I'll tell him he's only pikey!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Question: MAF Delete??????
    By 98SSLS1OWNER in forum Computer & Tuning
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 12-06-2010, 04:03 PM
  2. MAF delete?
    By tomz28 in forum General Help
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 06-30-2009, 03:36 PM
  3. EGR & AIR delete
    By 96t/a in forum LT1
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-10-2008, 05:33 PM
  4. Delete This
    By ss~zoso~ss in forum Political / Debate Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-06-2008, 01:53 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •