Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Cat-Back Opinions Please

This is a discussion on Cat-Back Opinions Please within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by LSCyaL8R My setup is probably the biggest eargasm i've ever had from an LS1. QTP Long tubes, ...

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by LSCyaL8R View Post
    My setup is probably the biggest eargasm i've ever had from an LS1. QTP Long tubes, custom fabbed y with magnaflow stainless cats and into a magnaflow cat back with the quad resonator tips. VERY quiet at idle and if i really try hard i can sneak up on someone. get it up to 2k and beyond and it's just a pure smooth loud exotic tone. I had the cat back on long before any work on the y or the long tubes. I went to the magnaflow from a flowmaster and it was no comparison. night and day difference. IMO you simply can NOT go wrong with magnaflow on an LS.
    Another vote for the Magnaflow. I'm running Pacesetter LT's, no cats and a Magnaflow exhaust on my car and I love how it sounds. I'd like to add a cutout one day for those times when I want it loud.
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28 A4
    SLP cold air intake/lid, SLP smooth bellow, Pacesetter LT's, ORY, Magnaflow exhaust, BMR STB, adjustable Panhard rod, SFC's, LCA's, 1LE sway bars, cross-drilled rotors

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Had the magnaflow quad tip on the TA with LTs and an ORY and i loved it, had a great tone to it. If you want to be heard and sound like a beast, GMMG with LTs.

LMII or LMI for loud during acceleration or really loud at WOT. If you like cold start ups, these are the ones you want. To reduce drone, use hi-flow cats. If you mild at WOT, go with all others.

Artic White
    2002 Camaro SS

I'm happy with my magnaflow. It has just the right amount of sound and drone for a stock car.
    2002 Artic White SS 35th Wheels|Full Hotchkis Suspension|Koni SA|Magnaflow CME|SLP lid|www.fquick.com/The_Guz

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

If you want your car to sound like a garbage truck, get the Lm, if you want it to sound like muscle, get the hooker exhaust

impulse blue
    06 GTO

i'm looking for an SLP y-pipe for now...keeping the stock SS single pipe cat-back.

+1 for magnaflow.
    Last edited by flat-top; 10-26-2012 at 05:33 AM. Reason: add text

You've Seen The Butcher GoldenFlame's Avatar

2009 Silverado Z71
    2003 Corvette MN6 Black

Quote Originally Posted by stern2192 View Post
    I wanna be loud and heard
    Easy. LT Headers and a TSP Rumbler X System. Definitely loud and it won't have that horrible rasp you get with 99% of Y-Pipe systems.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

with factory exhaust manifolds and cats, the BEST cat-back for our 4th-gens that's not raspy is the GMMG, but it's very pricey and it's stainless steel. it's not raspy either but if you get longtubes and aftermarket cats then it will be much louder, but DAYUM it sounds good!!!
    Magnaflow is a GREAT cat-back because it sounds GOOD and it's also stainless steel and about $200 bucks less than the GMMG.

I actually had the GMMG with ARH longtubes and aftermarket Magnaflow cats and FUCK I loved the sound of my car!!!

However, it was not easy having a conversation with the Wifey, it was loud.

Longtubes and cats with the SLP LM1 is LOUD AND RASPY.

Back to the GMMG, I got pulled over too many times so I said fuggit and bought the 01-02 factory optional Dual/Dual muffler and quieted my car down BIG TIME and it STILL sounds good!!!

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

So to sum up your question OP, there are about 100 different options, everyone likes something different, and listening to sounds on a computer is a waste of time.

Good luck
    It's on jackstands.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

HAHA!!!
    it's true.
    Your best bet is to find some local f-body peeps in your area and get in contact with them so you can listen to them in person, that's probably your best option.
    You may find some via here or check out the other f-body sites (ls2.com, ls1tech.com) and see who is near you and go from there.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

^ True above If you can its best to hear them in person! I have Magna-flow and KooKs LT`s- love the deep throaty muscle car sound BUT im going to add a cut-out for when i wanna be crazy with it! some guys around here have obnoxiously overly loud rasy exhaust and they think they are bad ass...you know the type-the sound is louder than the car is moving.... any way im loving my Magna-flows.

Not all your magnaflows will be mellow. The 4" Mufflex I use with a magnaflow will set off car alarms. Actually I'm taming that down with a removable cone insert in the tailpipe. As I get older I get tired of the noisy stuff. Funny though, my father loves the noise it makes and doesn't want me to change a thing. We've always said, "loud pipes save lives"

All your 3" catbacks will perform the same, you just need to pick the sound you are looking for. My all time favorite 3" catback is the factory optional SLP Dual/Dual. Very mellow sound. Unfortunately not made anymore and hard to find used.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    If you want your car to sound like a garbage truck, get the Lm, if you want it to sound like muscle, get the hooker exhaust
    I have to disagree with that. I have that on my car, and it sounds like it has a cam in it. Almost. It is really loud, but not like a dump truck.

Red
    2001 z28,1971 Monte Carlo

I am really leaning towards the LM just cause I wanna be heard halfway across my neighborhood lolsmiley. I have cherry bomb on my 71' Monte that sounds great/loud so if i could just match that i would be happy. Thanks for all the input guys!

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Not all your magnaflows will be mellow. The 4" Mufflex I use with a magnaflow will set off car alarms. Actually I'm taming that down with a removable cone insert in the tailpipe. As I get older I get tired of the noisy stuff. Funny though, my father loves the noise it makes and doesn't want me to change a thing. We've always said, "loud pipes save lives"

All your 3" catbacks will perform the same, you just need to pick the sound you are looking for. My all time favorite 3" catback is the factory optional SLP Dual/Dual. Very mellow sound. Unfortunately not made anymore and hard to find used.
    I have a 3" Mufflex Y pipe on my setup. QTP long tubes into a 3" y fabbed on car at Mufflex with 3" Magnaflow hi flow metallic substrate cats into a Flowmaster Y merge 3" inlets 4" out stepped down into the 3" Magnaflow cat back. everything is stainless with the exception of the aluminized flowmaster merge. A worthy concession because the y merge is important for tone. Even driving around NYC i've only ever set off 1 alarm lol.

With 4.10s on the highway in 6th when I get up to around 70-75mph it's like being in the cabin of a cessna with less wind noise. it's running at 2100ish RPM with solid mounts. the sound the vibes everything just sings. it's a very therapeutic experience for me. I'm sure it's not for everyone but it sure makes me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by LSCyaL8R View Post
    I have a 3" Mufflex Y pipe on my setup. QTP long tubes into a 3" y fabbed on car at Mufflex with 3" Magnaflow hi flow metallic substrate cats into a Flowmaster Y merge 3" inlets 4" out stepped down into the 3" Magnaflow cat back. everything is stainless with the exception of the aluminized flowmaster merge. A worthy concession because the y merge is important for tone. Even driving around NYC i've only ever set off 1 alarm lol.

With 4.10s on the highway in 6th when I get up to around 70-75mph it's like being in the cabin of a cessna with less wind noise. it's running at 2100ish RPM with solid mounts. the sound the vibes everything just sings. it's a very therapeutic experience for me. I'm sure it's not for everyone but it sure makes me happy.
    The 3" magnaflow catback you have should keep things relatively tame. I'm using the 4" system with Magnaflow's 4" race muffler. Just the size of the piping makes for a very deep aggressive sound (like it has twice the engine under hood than it really does) but that race muffler from Magnaflow doesn't offer much in the way of sound deadening. The case itself is rather small.
    I'm using a 3" Texas Speed stainless Y which has a much nicer "Y" junction than the pacesetter I took off and actually fits better too. Overall I'm pleased. Ran a 4" mufflex many years back and loved it then. Funny though, I don't remember it being this loud before. It's hell getting old I guess

I've spent a couple of months looking into a system for my car, but living in the UK limits my choice unless I ship in from the US, which would add greatly to the cost. I'm very tempted to get a Loud Mouth as my car isn't my daily driver (I think I've managed to avoid that).

I can't remember if I've asked this on another thread, but is there any difference between the Loud Mouth and the Loud Mouth II ?

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by SS Camaro UK View Post
    I've spent a couple of months looking into a system for my car, but living in the UK limits my choice unless I ship in from the US, which would add greatly to the cost. I'm very tempted to get a Loud Mouth as my car isn't my daily driver (I think I've managed to avoid that).

I can't remember if I've asked this on another thread, but is there any difference between the Loud Mouth and the Loud Mouth II ?
    The loudmouth II is quieter but I love the loudmouth 1.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by SS Camaro UK View Post

The difference is the LM1 resonator is smaller, which basically makes it almost like having straight pipes. The LM2 is also a resonator design, but tones the sound down some. The LM2 still offers a loud, aggressive sound with the stock manifolds. If you have long-tube headers, it's a whole different story.

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    The loudmouth II is quieter but I love the loudmouth 1.
    Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    The difference is the LM1 resonator is smaller, which basically makes it almost like having straight pipes. The LM2 is also a resonator design, but tones the sound down some. The LM2 still offers a loud, aggressive sound with the stock manifolds. If you have long-tube headers, it's a whole different story.
    I'm being drawn to the Loud Mouth 1. Sitting in traffic today, a Subaru came past in the opposite direction and it was louder than my Camaro. This just cannot be allowed If anybody's car is gonna turn heads, it has to be mine

Would SLP's wider diameter Y-pipe add to the sound of either?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information