let the F-Bodies roll jimmybling31's Avatar

white
    94 camaro z28

cat back... different option?

ok so I need to get a new catback because of the baby coming along and my whole family saying it's too loud for me being a father. So, I was wondering what some of the options are. I know about the magnaflow, slp(what I have now and what they complain about), flowmaster(pretty much out), gmmg(too expensive) borla(same), and those. but, what are the other options. I was looking at the hooker system. how does it do? I do need to go with a 98+ exhaust system because of my header setup

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by jimmybling31 View Post
    ok so I need to get a new catback because of the baby coming along and my whole family saying it's too loud for me being a father. So, I was wondering what some of the options are. I know about the magnaflow, slp(what I have now and what they complain about), flowmaster(pretty much out), gmmg(too expensive) borla(same), and those. but, what are the other options. I was looking at the hooker system. how does it do? I do need to go with a 98+ exhaust system because of my header setup
    For the money, Magna Flow. Flows great and sounds good with LT's. I run the B&B Tri-Flo system which in my opinion is the best on the market, but it's expensive. Another inexpensive, good flowing alternative is the Dynomax Bullet. Those sound good as well.

By the way, what SLP kit are you running?

Arctic White
    2002 A4,WS6

Minivan. Stock exhaust. 160hp.

white
    94 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    For the money, Magna Flow. Flows great and sounds good with LT's. I run the B&B Tri-Flo system which in my opinion is the best on the market, but it's expensive. Another inexpensive, good flowing alternative is the Dynomax Bullet. Those sound good as well.

By the way, what SLP kit are you running?
    I have the lm1. I have lt's ory and lm1. I want to get rid of the lm1 because of the tubing being a bit messed up and such, plus noone but my car friends like it.

white
    94 camaro z28

how much would a different bullet muffler help?

10's N/A

I have the lm1. I have lt's ory and lm1. I want to get rid of the lm1 because of the tubing being a bit messed up and such, plus noone but my car friends like it.
    Yeah the LM1 can make enemies fast. I had it on one of my old cars and it was too loud. I ended up swapping for a Corsa.

white
    94 camaro z28

Yeah the LM1 can make enemies fast. I had it on one of my old cars and it was too loud. I ended up swapping for a Corsa.
    how does the corsa sound?

I looked at the price. and dear god. what makes it worth that much?

10's N/A

how much would a different bullet muffler help?
    Bingo! A lot. Dynomax resonators are rather tame, and you can pick one up on Ebay for under $60 on E-bay.

Corsa sounds excellent, but it to is expensive.

red
    1999 Trans Am WS-6

get a flowmaster 40 and put it in place of the lm1. the 40 flows good. just stay away from the 80

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by red99ws6 View Post
    get a flowmaster 40 and put it in place of the lm1. the 40 flows good. just stay away from the 80
    Agree. The 40 series sounds awesome.

white
    94 camaro z28

Bingo! A lot. Dynomax resonators are rather tame, and you can pick one up on Ebay for under $60 on E-bay.

Corsa sounds excellent, but it to is expensive.
    I heard the borla one and it was still too loud for me. my girlfriend says she liked how it sounded when I had the magnaflow muffler with the stock piping. I liked it more than stock, but there are other systems I would rather have. I love the way the flowmaster sounds, but it just doesn't flow for shit. my uncle loves his dual 70's on his 82scottsdale with a vortec 350 (well worth the money in the heads and an aftermarket cam very nice) the 70's seem loud for how much they flow too though. the 40 from what he has told me is loud as anything, but I just want to quiet it down. I don't want to sacrifice too much performance. I am actually liking the edelbrock exhaust. how does it flow?

white
    94 camaro z28

oh yeah. my tailpipes look like shit so I do kinda want to get a whole catback.

10's N/A

I heard the borla one and it was still too loud for me. my girlfriend says she liked how it sounded when I had the magnaflow muffler with the stock piping. I liked it more than stock, but there are other systems I would rather have. I love the way the flowmaster sounds, but it just doesn't flow for shit. my uncle loves his dual 70's on his 82scottsdale with a vortec 350 (well worth the money in the heads and an aftermarket cam very nice) the 70's seem loud for how much they flow too though. the 40 from what he has told me is loud as anything, but I just want to quiet it down. I don't want to sacrifice too much performance. I am actually liking the edelbrock exhaust. how does it flow?
    The 40's do flow well, but if you wan't a quieter exhaust that is not the one for you! My buddy Tony had an Edelbrock Cat-back on his '97 anniversary and from what I heard they flow well. Not a big fan of the sound, not that they sound "bad" or anything.

white
    94 camaro z28

The 40's do flow well, but if you wan't a quieter exhaust that is not the one for you! My buddy Tony had an Edelbrock Cat-back on his '97 anniversary and from what I heard they flow well. Not a big fan of the sound, not that they sound "bad" or anything.
    ok. do you know if it is a glasspack style muffler or chamber style? I kinda like the steelpack/glasspack muffler style. I love it on my 74 porsche just got them on yesterday. and it sounds mean for an opposing6. I like the sound of my porsche more than my camaro right now. lol. I just want to quiet down the camaro with a good sound. the magnaflow seems too popular for me. like half the people around here that have f-bodies have the magnaflow. the other half have the lm system or some other one. If there is one from a no name company that sounds good and flows good I would be all over it.

10's N/A

ok. do you know if it is a glasspack style muffler or chamber style? I kinda like the steelpack/glasspack muffler style. I love it on my 74 porsche just got them on yesterday. and it sounds mean for an opposing6. I like the sound of my porsche more than my camaro right now. lol. I just want to quiet down the camaro with a good sound. the magnaflow seems too popular for me. like half the people around here that have f-bodies have the magnaflow. the other half have the lm system or some other one. If there is one from a no name company that sounds good and flows good I would be all over it.
    The Edelbrock is a chambered style muffler. As far as less popular exhaust systems, you've got Hooker, Random Technology, Pacesetter TFX, MAC, Dynomax, Stainless Works, RK Sport...all offer cat-back applications for your car.

white
    94 camaro z28

The Edelbrock is a chambered style muffler. As far as less popular exhaust systems, you've got Hooker, Random Technology, Pacesetter TFX, MAC, Dynomax, Stainless Works, RK Sport...all offer cat-back applications for your car.
    cool. i will look them all up. I am not into the chambered style as much. I will look all of them up though. I do need to go 98+ style exhaust

red
    2002 SLP Formula Firehawk

I patched in a Magnaflow muffler, into the stock 2002 Firehawk cat system. Much better, deeper tone than stock, and nowhere near the loudness of a LM. No cabin drone either.

white
    94 camaro z28

well how does this sound. I am making a custom exhaust system at the shop that will be alot like a borla system. it'll be a lm1 though with cherry bomb muffler and then a magnaflow muffler in it too. I will use block off plates on the passenger side to control how much exhaust goes through the muffler. I will block it off completely when I am driving around town and such and on the weekends I will open it up all the way.

Black
    99 SS

Dude, like i tell everyone looking for a catback, look in the forsale section on here and Tech, there are always a ton of them for sale and usually HALF the price then they are new

and personally i think that 2 mufflers is a total waist of time man, you would be spending so much money to get that done

white
    94 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by Zboner View Post
    Dude, like i tell everyone looking for a catback, look in the forsale section on here and Tech, there are always a ton of them for sale and usually HALF the price then they are new

and personally i think that 2 mufflers is a total waist of time man, you would be spending so much money to get that done
    the money part is actually not too bad. the muffer would cost 50 buck and I already have the lm1 it's just too loud and didn't line up well or anything. I could have the back part redone like that for a total of 120 dollars. it would be unique too.

Thread Information