Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

cat back

This is a discussion on cat back within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; magnaflow IS THE BEST...

gold Z28 v8

magnaflow IS THE BEST

red
    2000 Camaro

personally, i dont like the sound of magnaflow even though i have one. i had to put a cutout and gutted cats to get the sound i wanted. maganflow sounds great with gutted cats and the cutout compliment. but i will tell u this, it has great gains. my buddy put it on and gained 11rwhp from the dyno reading. but i love the looks of the tips and its a good sound it dont like anything to loud like the loudmouth

ME!!

LPM
    01 Z28

with the cutout open, it never reaches the magnaflow, so how does the cut out compliment the magnaflow?

Black
    2002 Camaro Z-28

The kit from magnaflow for my car was $454. And some change. from summit

Black
    99 SS

why does everyone automatically think that they have to pay list price?? anyone EVER think to look for a used one? since they are stainless and all(the magnaflow)

red
    2000 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by kebie05 View Post
    with the cutout open, it never reaches the magnaflow, so how does the cut out compliment the magnaflow?
    not all the exhaust leaves through the cutout. there is still a sound provided through the tips. hence the combination , the sound out of the cutout and catback. of course u hear more exhaust through the cutout just cus it bypasses the muffler but u can still hear it out the catback. (i would say 70%ish of the exhuast goes through the cutout

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by cruiSSin LS1 View Post
    personally, i dont like the sound of magnaflow even though i have one. i had to put a cutout and gutted cats to get the sound i wanted. maganflow sounds great with gutted cats and the cutout compliment. but i will tell u this, it has great gains. my buddy put it on and gained 11rwhp from the dyno reading. but i love the looks of the tips and its a good sound it dont like anything to loud like the loudmouth
    I want to gut my cats soon and I have Magnaflow catback as well, but I'm not going with a cutout. Do you get any droning or garbled sound with the cutout capped off??? Also, does it just make it louder, or does it really compliment the sound, and I plan on doing the non-fouler trick for my 02 sensors, does yours kick codes? Thanks.

red
    2000 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 01ws6er View Post
    I want to gut my cats soon and I have Magnaflow catback as well, but I'm not going with a cutout. Do you get any droning or garbled sound with the cutout capped off??? Also, does it just make it louder, or does it really compliment the sound, and I plan on doing the non-fouler trick for my 02 sensors, does yours kick codes? Thanks.
    i got o2 sims. so when i put the gutted cats on i put the sims on as well. so no codes were thrown. the cutout with gutted cats and magnaflow was really LOUD. I mean like the end of the world. but i ran the gutted cats and jsut magnaflow for awhile and that sound real real good. i recommend gutted cats with the magnaflow. cutout makes a huge differnce in noise especially wiht gutted cats. gutting the cats makes it a lot louder but with no cutout i think its sounds great as well. its all preference. with the cutout and gutted cats if i leave the car high in rpms sometimes i get an exhaust kicback where it actually explodes and i love it.

ls1sounds.com
    that will help u out with some sound clips since i dont have any

2000 Camaro SS #3441-close to stock-Weekend Car

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited-stock-Daily Driver

ME!!

LPM
    01 Z28

how hard is it to gut them? what all is involved?

red
    2000 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by kebie05 View Post
    how hard is it to gut them? what all is involved?
    i bought my gutted ones off ebay. cali is gay about emissions so i just switched them so when smog time comes aorund i just switch them. basically, get a broomstick or something long and durable. and just punch out the screen in the cat. might take some muscle but i dont c it being that difficult.

ME!!

LPM
    01 Z28

so i take them off, and then just ram something through them and break it up. do i just dump the stuff out when i am done?

Arctic White
    01 TA / 06 Duc 749D

i just installed the hooker aero chamber on a stock set up. sounds good, almost like a flowmaster but you can tell the difference. it's a cleaner sound if you know what i mean. i have noticed that if i floor it and then pedal a lil after 70 mph the tone pretty much dies out a lot. anyone know why? this is other wise a good flowing muffler with a good sound.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information