Car starts up at 4 grand then dies after intake/tb install

This is a discussion on Car starts up at 4 grand then dies after intake/tb install within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I installed a BBK SSi intake and BBK 85mm throttle body on my LS1. Everything seems to be in order ...

Black
    2000 Trans Am

Car starts up at 4 grand then dies after intake/tb install

I installed a BBK SSi intake and BBK 85mm throttle body on my LS1. Everything seems to be in order since I have had to take it off like 10 times because I installed fuel rails as well and was having leaking issues. All the lines are connected and it starts up great but immediately jumps to about 4 grand and then sputters down to nothing and shuts off. I can hit the gas a bit and bring it back to life before it dies but it jumps right back to 4 grand and goes through the whole process again. Do I need to make some adjustments to anything due to the larger throttle body? I know the car won't run at 100% without a tune but it should still run.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

I had this exact issue with my 96mm PP intake and 101mm PP TB. It ended up being vacuum leaks from the gasket under the intake and a TPS issue. The TPS wasn't getting the right voltageso it had no idea where the blade needed to be. So I would check the TPS voltagle first and then check for vacuum leaks. I hope this helps you.
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 10-05-2011 at 10:06 PM.

Black
    2000 Trans Am

Yea im assuming its probably the TPS. And btw that TB sounds huge lol

Black/ Silver

Yea it is. Let me know if you need any more information.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Black
    2000 Trans Am

yea actually i was wondering about the process of adjusting it. I googled it and actually got the original thread of when you had the issue but Im not really sure what I need to do. I know I need to hook a volt meter up to a ground and I believe a dark blue wire on the TPS and should adjust to .5 at idle and around 4.65 for WOT but what do I need to do to actually physically adjust it?

Black
    2000 Trans Am

Ok so I tested the TPS and its right at what it should be so now Im looking vacuum leak. Was your intake the same gaskets in each port and that was it or did yours require a different style of gasket? The BBK just has you pull the stock gaskets out and use them and they were in there pretty good but I could be wrong and I figured Id see exactly how you resolved yours since this will be the 4th time the intake will come off and its getting to be a pain in the ass

Black
    2000 Trans Am

Ok so I tested the TPS and its right at what it should be so now Im looking vacuum leak. Was your intake the same gaskets in each port and that was it or did yours require a different style of gasket? The BBK just has you pull the stock gaskets out and use them and they were in there pretty good but I could be wrong and I figured Id see exactly how you resolved yours since this will be the 4th time the intake will come off and its getting to be a pain in the ass

Black/ Silver

I have different gaskets from stock. Another thing to check for vacuum leaks, would have to be the injectors. Mine weren't sealing right so I had to put rtv sealant on them. Also you have an aftermarket fuel rail right? Is it a ls2 style? Most aftermarket fuel rails require a ls2 adaptor for ls1 injectors or spacers. Do you have those? If not that might be where your leak is.
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 10-07-2011 at 05:48 AM.

Black
    2000 Trans Am

No I have the BBK fuel rails that seem to be primarily for LS1. I just bought new intake gaskets and will pull it off again and see if that does the trick since the stock gaskets were 11 years old. But if that doesn't work ill try the RTV on the injectors.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

how about the brake booster hose? is the secure? I've heard those BBK intakes and TBs(especially) can be a little problematic. You may end up throwing the thing in the garbage and getting a LS6 or FAST intake.

Thread Information