Car running hot

This is a discussion on Car running hot within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; My 98 Trans AM is running hotter than normal. I have a 160 T-stat installed. On a normal highway cruise ...

Black
    1998 WS6

Angry Car running hot

My 98 Trans AM is running hotter than normal. I have a 160 T-stat installed. On a normal highway cruise my gauge sits on or slightly above the 185 mark and never goes higher no matter how hot the air temp is. At the end of last year before putting the car away for the Winter I noticed the gauge climbing toward the red zone. I found a plastic bag was stuck on the front of the radiator. After removing the bag the car continued to run hot, gauge goes above the 210 mark. According to Autotap the real temp is in the 230 - 240 range. I drained the coolant and flushed the radiator clean. I installed 50/50 Dexcool and distilled water, still running hot. I tried all the coolant air bleeding methods, still running hot. On a hot day the fans would continue to run after shutting the car off.

This Spring with cool air temps the car is still running hot. I installed a new 160 T-stat, new radiator cap, red line water wetter, bled the air again and still running hot. Water is flowing in the radiator (0.25 inch in diameter) and both fans are working properly. After a drive all the radiator hoses are very hot. Also, the heater works fine and when on it helps bring the temps down a little. The front and back of the radiator are free of obstructions and the cooling fins are in good shape. After driving the car and getting hot the cooling fins are still as cool as when the car has sat overnight? Shouldn't they have some warmth to them? I also changed the oil and there is no evidence of antifreeze in the oil.

white
    2002 B4C

Could the radiator be kinked or obstructed? Hows the water pump?

NBM
    1999 Hardtop Z28

are your fans turning on at the right time? checked your thermostat? i just took mine out of my 98 and it was corroded to shit, luckily in the open position.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

He said he replaced the thermostat. I'm thinking water pump or radiator. How easily does water flow through it?

Black
    1998 WS6

With the drain valve open, a hose in the radiator flowing well and the thermostat open after idling for awhile, the car actually cools down when I raise the engine rpm's. With everything closed up normally the temp rises too high when increasing rpm. Does this indicate my water pump is not operating at full potential???

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

Its quite possible.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Change the water pump. Similar thing happened to me, but i was leaking coolant so i obviously knew what was wrong.

white
    2002 B4C

I second the water pump! You'll need one eventually and it seems to be the culprit. Make sure to change hoses if you have not done them. Just did my hoses and the top had two hoses connected by long aluminum straight pipe. Never saw it before. I had to cut the generic hoses I got from local auto store, what a pain!
    Last edited by TedsB4Csled; 04-28-2008 at 12:31 PM. Reason: more info

Thread Information