Thread: car is a dog

car is a dog

i just installed pacesetters ory and magnaflow on my 02 ss. my 1990 toyota camry is faster. i also have 4:10 gears m6. i did have a header bolt last one on drivers side not that tight but can that make it run like ass?? plugs are gapped they were not dropped. wires are new msd. car ran perfect before. can the tune be this far off?? i noticed my stfts are around 3.50 to 4.00. i used metal tape on all exhaust seems and clamps except for the muffler there is a leak. can i send my diablo back to slp and tell them to install a tune?? i just lost all intrest in this car.

black
    2002 WS6

Yea, first off you need a tune, suggested dyno tune to really get things dialed in. Second headers will move the peak power badn hight up in the RPM range. So you may see a decrease in low end torque till you get tuned.

red
    1999 Trans Am WS-6

would it make it run that bad though. i plan on doing the same thing but would like to keep it untuned until i decide on cam. if it isnt going to run right i will wait until everything is here and have it installed and get tune. i keep hearing stories like this and then you here stories about people running low 12s without tune so i dont know

black
    2002 WS6

It's gonna vary from car to car, and a whole lot of other factors. I haven't got too deep into these cars yet. What I know is from forumpostings and experiance with the orginal small blocks. (the physics don't change).

I think if you look at your whole set up and do it right it can be done. but headers need a cam and head work to work right or else they sometime be more a detriment then help. Headers are not the magical cure to making power than so many think. The power come form the heads and valve train. Headers only compliment and inprove the effiecny of that work.

i didn't hook up 02 sims or delete anything for the computer i just unpluged the rear 02s can that put the computer in limp mode??

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

I presume your "check engine" light is on? Presuming it is, whatever codes it's throwing may have an impact on your performance. Your car definitely needs a tune, however for the car to be literally slower than your 1990 camry, something seriously must have gone awry.
    2002 Camaro SS M6, 2.5 PRC 5.3L heads, TFS 228/230 cam, FAST 92, bolt ons + a 10 lb bottle in the back.

1989 Corvette L98, A4, Full bolt ons, etc.

NBM
    98 trans am

dang.....a 1990 camry?...... dang....

cam/lt headers
    blue 2000 ws6 m6

there is no way you would lose that much power with an exhaust leak. i bet you have a wire crossed that would explain why it runs like crap and has less power than your camry. or if one of your wires isn't completely snapped on to the spark plug that will make it run like that too. i had that happen on my old silverado and it ran really shitty.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

First off you dont "need" a tune for the car to perform. What did you gap your plugs at? What codes are you throwing? Burnt wires? I ran a year without a tune and was making decent numbers, to get the most out of your instail you will want a tune and to get rid of the raw gas smell.
    The rear 02's only tell the comp that your cats are working or they are not working but they will not send your car into "limp" mode. What condition are your front 02's in? I would pull the codes and post them up and try to eliminate all the leaks you have.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

plug gap at 45 everything seems to be sealed up good it just feels theres no power. the only codes i have are the rear 02s. it feels like i have 2 clogged cats but they were takein off.

red
    1999 Trans Am WS-6

plugs should be gapped at .060

i had them gapped at 45 they work fine

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by red99ws6 View Post
    plugs should be gapped at .060
    Not anymore-gm decided .045 to .040 is the correct gap for these cars.

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

Did you break the temp sensor? It's a common item to break on a header install and will make it run bad. Does it backfire any? Sounds more like a physical problem than tune. I installed headers and ran them open for a week with no problems once I got the minor stuff like the broken plug and broken temp sensor. Needed a tune sure but still ran better than before the install.

i have been toying with the car its running alot better but a tune it needs. also i did the poly mounts and when the car is cold u can feel eveything but once it warms up its okay???

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

dude i ran over a year w/o a tune- never once a problem, i had 02 sims put in. i bet that is your problem, you need sims or get them tuned out. your stft sounds right considering headers will make your car run a lil rich, get that last bolt tightened up. why did you leave it looser
    2002 Z28 M6, Suncoast Creations ram air, port/polish TB w/ bypass and bumpstop, heater hose mod, stainless steel long tubes, ORY w/ dual cutouts, Magnaflow, BMR SFC, UMI Torque Arm, LS7 clutch w/ drill mod, Pro 5.0 w/ Lous short stick, MSD wires, 4.10s, good maintenancehttp://www.fquick.com/blue02z

i didn't leave it loose i guess i didnt tighten it enough. i checked my ltfts tonite at 60mph they are at 10 both banks. there is no - or + next to the number but i think thats pulling fuel its running lean?? should the stfts be o at idle??

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

i think so. if it is a + that means your o2 sensors are reading a lean exhaust and the pcm is trying to add fuel to it. a + 5% or so while excellerating is completly normal, but at a cruise speed your fuel trim should be right next to 0

Thread Information