Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Can't remove fuel rail adapter

I had a billet fuel rail on my car but I since sold it with the intake I had and now I need to get the adapter that connects to the factory disconnect off. The problem is my disconnect tool is too wide so I can't get it in there to pull it off. I was thinking maybe grind the tool down a little or grind the adapter down. Suggestions would be good. Here is a picture of what I am talking about:

1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

98 Formula
    06 duramax

those can be a pain in the ass.......those tools are also hit or miss as to how well they work. I've had luck in the past getting them off using a couple of small screw drivers. Remember to push in on the connector before putting the release tool or screwdrivers in there then try to pull them apart. Good luck.......those connectors have made me say some pretty nasty things to cars. "quick release my ass" being one of the more common things I say

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

I got a set of 5 different sizes of the fuel quick release tools form O'Reillys for around $10

And Orion right, major PITA

Black/ Silver

Yeah I tried the ones advance auto parts had but none of them fit length wise. I might have to do what Orion suggested. Another thing I thought of.doing.was getting those aftermarket quick disconnect adapters and running a stainless steel hose to the adapter that is stuck on. Since the only reason I need to get it off is because it won't connect to the stock fuel rail.
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 04-03-2012 at 08:56 AM.

Black/Black
    98 WS6/04 Sierra Dmax

Once you get the right size tool to fit in there, push the line towards the tool then pull the line off. I have found that works best.

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by cpop98ws6:2762581
    Once you get the right size tool to fit in there, push the line towards the tool then pull the line off. I have found that works best.
    The problem is, there is no tool that fits at least that I have been able to find. Going to have to find my set of small screw drivers. For doing the screw driver route, is there a particular side that they should go on?

Black/Black
    98 WS6/04 Sierra Dmax

I bought my tool at harbor freight and it fits perfect.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by cpop98ws6 View Post
    look at his picture.....I think he's saying with that elbow there he's having trouble getting the fitting into the line properly. With the screwdrivers I usually just use 2 and put one on each side and kinda work the tangs back. Might have to move them around and play with it a bit but it'll work.

Black/Black
    98 WS6/04 Sierra Dmax

cut the end of the fitting off.

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion:2762684
    Quote Originally Posted by cpop98ws6 View Post

look at his picture.....I think he's saying with that elbow there he's having trouble getting the fitting into the line properly.
    With the screwdrivers I usually just use 2 and put one on each side and kinda work the tangs back. Might have to move them around and play with it a bit but it'll work.
    Yes that is exactly what I am saying. Okay cool I'll try that and if that doesn't work I'll either cut the top off and use my tool or cut it off all together if i will still be able to remove the rest of the fitting.

Black/Black
    98 WS6/04 Sierra Dmax

If you can't get it with the screwdriver and end up cutting it, I think you will be able to grab the fitting part with some needle nose pliers and use the tool to get it.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Don't mess with using the plastic quick release tools. invest in an aluminum one. took about 10 seconds with it, compared to ruining the plastic ones i tried before that.

Also, it's critical to get your cuss words in the right sequence. That seems to help too! (it did for me)

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS:2764060
    Don't mess with using the plastic quick release tools. invest in an aluminum one. took about 10 seconds with it, compared to ruining the plastic ones i tried before that.

Also, it's critical to get your cuss words in the right sequence. That seems to help too! (it did for me)
    I have aluminum ones but they are too long with that fitting, stock it was easy to remove. I haven't had a chance to get it off yet as U am upgrading other stuff but hopefully tomorrow I will get to it.

Black
    1999 Formula

I ground an aluminum one down when I had a similar situation. Worked fine.

Brad
    1999 Formula, M6, mostly stock daily driver. ARH Headers, Hooker cat back, Koni's. EFI live V2, LC-1 serial connection. BRE custom cam

Thread Information