Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Can This Be Done???

This is a discussion on Can This Be Done??? within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; 2.5 is plenty for a dual system....

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

2.5 is plenty for a dual system.

Artic White
    2002 ws6

Exhaust... Am I out of my mind???

Alright guys. I'm going to throw a lot out at ya so here goes. My plans are to run a true dual with x-pipe system all the way out the back of the car. I want to have the x-pipe occur directly above the tunnel brace on a tunnel braced torque arm WITH driveshaft loop. What are my chances of getting this done without the torque arm, exhaust, or both banging the bottom of my car to the point I wish I had never done this? Have any of you ever seen someone try to do this or do you think it'd work?

And if you don't think it'd work, do you really see enough advantage of running an aftermarket tunnel braced torque arm?

Thanks again all!!!

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Heres a link from a guy who did the works.
    http://www.norcal-lsx.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61210
    Do everything you have to do first on the undercarriage then have a good exhaust man work around it. You might need some pipes lightly crushed to help fitting especially on the driver side it will work just be a tight fit good luck.

Still The Junior Member RedVertTA's Avatar

Red+White Top and Stripes
    2000TransAmConvertible A4

If you use 2.5 in. pipes instead of 3 in. and c5z28 said crush them down you should be able to kit them in. Are you trying to get the pipes over the rear end and out of the stock location?
    FAST 90/90, SLP Lid, Kooks JetHot Coated LT's, American Racing Y-Pipe+Magnaflow Cats, DHM Electric Cutout, Flowmaster American Thunder Catback, HP Tuners Software, 343 rwhp.

BMR Convertible Subframe Connectors, Hotchkis Strut Tower Brace, BMR Driveshaft Safety Loop.

Artic White
    2002 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    Heres a link from a guy who did the works.
    http://www.norcal-lsx.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61210
    Do everything you have to do first on the undercarriage then have a good exhaust man work around it. You might need some pipes lightly crushed to help fitting especially on the driver side it will work just be a tight fit good luck.
    awesome link! thanks so much... I wonder what the plate that's welded onto the tunnel brace is for???

Artic White
    2002 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by RedVertTA View Post
    If you use 2.5 in. pipes instead of 3 in. and c5z28 said crush them down you should be able to kit them in. Are you trying to get the pipes over the rear end and out of the stock location?
    inevitably they will exit through the stock cutouts in the bumper. how I get them there I haven't quite decided yet... A guy around here in the city actually ran his under axle on each side and it looks great and he says he has not clearance issues. My other option I'm considering is to go over axle on each side. The performance shop I use said that they run them like that all the time but I've never seen pics of that done on any of the sites. I worry about running the exhaust over the axle on the drivers side with the fuel lines being over there. And I plan on using 2.5" all the way back.

15 sec. Oh yeah, its fast UTVols98's Avatar

maroon
    2000 Z28

It's gonna hang low with that x-pipe. As long as you don't mind it scraping on speed bumps, it'll fit.

Artic White
    2002 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by UTVols98 View Post
    It's gonna hang low with that x-pipe. As long as you don't mind it scraping on speed bumps, it'll fit.
    The X-pipe will be above the tunnel brace. My guess is if anything hits it'd be that. Tough decisions....

I would sooooooooooo not run it under the rear end, you're just asking to lose your exhaust on the first speedbump. Run it over the axel, Luos and many other people have done that and it works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by architect7 View Post
    awesome link! thanks so much... I wonder what the plate that's welded onto the tunnel brace is for???
    it looks like he welded it there b/c it mite scrap some times just my .02

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

15 sec. Oh yeah, its fast UTVols98's Avatar

maroon
    2000 Z28

The X-pipe will be above the tunnel brace. My guess is if anything hits it'd be that. Tough decisions....
    Ain't gonna happen my friend. Not gonna fit. Just stick to a Y pipe and single 4 inch over the axle and split to duals.
    Last edited by UTVols98; 02-08-2009 at 11:28 PM.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird-WS6 View Post
    it looks like he welded it there b/c it mite scrap some times just my .02
    Yes it's welded on there as a skid plate for when it does scrap or bottom out.

And as far as running tail pipes cleanly. . . . . . . . Under the axle HELL NO!! Unless your shit sits high as hell in the ass it will be too low. To do it right I would make the tail pipes out of tight U or J bends that I'd cut and weld.

Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Artic White
    2002 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by UTVols98 View Post
    Ain't gonna happen my friend. Not gonna fit. Just stick to a Y pipe and single 4 inch over the axle and split to duals.
    I was sent this yesterday...

Artic White
    2002 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post

And as far as running tail pipes cleanly. . . . . . . . Under the axle HELL NO!! Unless your shit sits high as hell in the ass it will be too low. To do it right I would make the tail pipes out of tight U or J bends that I'd cut and weld.

Everyone agrees with you so I'm sure there's something to the clearance issue with running them under the axle. but this guy did it and his exhaust is still higher than his LCA's... So in theory... wouldn't the LCA's hit before the exhaust?

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Everyone agrees with you so I'm sure there's something to the clearance issue with running them under the axle. but this guy did it and his exhaust is still higher than his LCA's... So in theory... wouldn't the LCA's hit before the exhaust?

Click for full size
    When you hit a bump or go into a incline the rearend goes up which will raise the LCA's as the spring compresses. The exhaust will stay just as low as it already is. Do you have pot holes where you live?

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post

That's what I said.

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

Alright guys. I'm going to throw a lot out at ya so here goes. My plans are to run a true dual with x-pipe system all the way out the back of the car. I want to have the x-pipe occur directly above the tunnel brace on a tunnel braced torque arm WITH driveshaft loop. What are my chances of getting this done without the torque arm, exhaust, or both banging the bottom of my car to the point I wish I had never done this? Have any of you ever seen someone try to do this or do you think it'd work?

And if you don't think it'd work, do you really see enough advantage of running an aftermarket tunnel braced torque arm?

Thanks again all!!!

you could always buy the bassani tru-duals.
    http://www.stealthram.com/bassanidualexhaust.htm
    http://www.stealthram.com/bassanidualexhaust.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information