Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 38

Can This Be Done???

This is a discussion on Can This Be Done??? within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Alright exhaust gurus... I plan on running a true dual with X-pipe system on my car. My question is, with ...

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    OKC
    Age
    34
    Posts
    210

    Artic White
    2002 ws6

    Can This Be Done???

    Alright exhaust gurus... I plan on running a true dual with X-pipe system on my car. My question is, with 2.5" piping, can each side of the exhaust run over the corresponding side of the axle? or do both sides of the exhaust have to go over the passenger side of the axle then out?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Member side2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    md
    Posts
    861

    red
    2000 camaro ss

    Quote Originally Posted by architect7 View Post
    Alright exhaust gurus... I plan on running a true dual with X-pipe system on my car. My question is, with 2.5" piping, can each side of the exhaust run over the corresponding side of the axle? or do both sides of the exhaust have to go over the passenger side of the axle then out?

    Thanks!
    if you don't use factory path, you will lose ground clearance.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    OKC
    Age
    34
    Posts
    210

    Artic White
    2002 ws6

    Quote Originally Posted by side2000 View Post
    if you don't use factory path, you will lose ground clearance.
    True duals don't follow factory path anyway. I'd just prefer to keep the piping the same distance on both sides and would prefer not to go under the axle to do the same distance.

  4. #4
    Member side2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    md
    Posts
    861

    red
    2000 camaro ss

    you can run tru duals the same path as factory. . . .that's how i'd do it if i was to. . .

  5. #5
    Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Laurel, Maryland
    Posts
    4,977

    2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

    You can fit 2.5" True Duals over the rear axle...ask Luos.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    OKC
    Age
    34
    Posts
    210

    Artic White
    2002 ws6

    Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    You can fit 2.5" True Duals over the rear axle...ask Luos.
    But can you run one side of the dual exhaust over the axle on the drivers side and the other side of the dual exhaust over the passenger side of the axle? That's what I'm wanting to do but I've never seen it. I always see both parts of the dual exhaust running over the axle on the passenger side.

    Thanks for the feedback.

  7. #7
    Knight of Chaos xzaero0's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Nebraska
    Age
    37
    Posts
    468

    Black
    2000 Trans Am

    Its prolly not a good idea. Dont the fuel lines or brake lines run on the drivers side in that area? If they are then it would be easier/ cheaper and safer to just do it on the passengers side.

  8. #8
    Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Laurel, Maryland
    Posts
    4,977

    2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

    I don't think you can do the split, not enough room, but BMR Fabrication sells a Panhard Rod Relocation Bar that allows you to run dual 3" Piping over the Passenger Side of the Rear Axle.




  9. #9
    2004 HEAD/CAM CTS-V 9t8z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    doylestown, Pa
    Posts
    6,818

    SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

    Yes, you can run 2.5" TDs over the axle on the pass. side with or without a panhard relocation brace. If you do not want to spend the money for the relo kit (which is well worth it) you can run the pass. pipe in the factory location and the driverside pipe must go under the panhard.

    I would not recommend that you run one down the driverside. It would be alot of unecessary work.

    Here is my TDs with the relocation bracket





    Here is another set of my TDs without the relo. bracket
    Last edited by 9t8z28; 02-01-2009 at 05:55 AM.

  10. #10
    Member side2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    md
    Posts
    861

    red
    2000 camaro ss

    nice pics

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    OKC
    Age
    34
    Posts
    210

    Artic White
    2002 ws6

    Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    I don't think you can do the split, not enough room, but BMR Fabrication sells a Panhard Rod Relocation Bar that allows you to run dual 3" Piping over the Passenger Side of the Rear Axle.

    Click for full size

    Click for full size
    I figured there had to be something on the drivers side to keep people from running half of their dual system over the axle on that side. I just wasn't sure what it was. Fuel lines definitely sound like a possibility. I do think they run in that area. Is there another advantage of the panhard rod relocation bar other than just freeing up room for the exhaust in that area?

    Thanks again and thanks for the Pics everyone!

  12. #12
    Knight of Chaos xzaero0's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Nebraska
    Age
    37
    Posts
    468

    Black
    2000 Trans Am

    You dont have to have that panhard bar to run them both over the axle, but it would prolly help out some since its so tight to begin with.

    I've got my TDs 2.5 at that point running over the passenger side axle. I just used the adjustable edelbrock pan hard bar that I bought for my 3rd gen since it is currently in pieces. It went on just fine.

    You prolly could run the 1 pipe down that side but knowing how exhaust pipes torque with the motor putting them that close to the fuel lines and with them being hot may cause alot of trouble unless you go though the steps and run the lines on the outer side of the frame.

  13. #13
    Carless blkSS98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Eastsound, WA
    Age
    37
    Posts
    410
    Quote Originally Posted by architect7 View Post
    Is there another advantage of the panhard rod relocation bar other than just freeing up room for the exhaust in that area?
    No. If you get it it changes the geometry of the rear suspension. Sam Strano told me that. Only do it if you are going to run true duals.

  14. #14
    Member side2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    md
    Posts
    861

    red
    2000 camaro ss

    Quote Originally Posted by blkSS98 View Post
    No. If you get it it changes the geometry of the rear suspension. Sam Strano told me that. Only do it if you are going to run true duals.
    actually, the "said rod" can't change geometry. . .it's a solid piece that results in the same length as the factory piece (with different shape). it is a fixed piece that has nothing to do with the geometry/travel of the rear axle. i think you are mistaken for the "lower" panhard rod, take a look at the pics again.

  15. #15
    2004 HEAD/CAM CTS-V 9t8z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    doylestown, Pa
    Posts
    6,818

    SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

    Quote Originally Posted by side2000 View Post
    actually, the "said rod" can't change geometry. . .it's a solid piece that results in the same length as the factory piece (with different shape). it is a fixed piece that has nothing to do with the geometry/travel of the rear axle. i think you are mistaken for the "lower" panhard rod, take a look at the pics again.
    Actually, it does change the geometry. There are pivot points and as the rear goes up in down, it is pulled or pushed to one side. The optimal position of the panhard bar is parallel with the ground. The relocation bracket actually pulls the right pivot point of the panhard bar down. In all honesty, you will never know that you made a change to the suspension besides maybe some less flex in the ass end.

  16. #16
    Member side2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    md
    Posts
    861

    red
    2000 camaro ss

    Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    I don't think you can do the split, not enough room, but BMR Fabrication sells a Panhard Rod Relocation Bar that allows you to run dual 3" Piping over the Passenger Side of the Rear Axle.

    Click for full size

    Click for full size
    the top one is the one in question, which is "fixed" and will not change geometry as i'm sure you know. the lower one is the one that dictates geometry, i know. i think we are just having a miscommunication problem.

  17. #17
    2004 HEAD/CAM CTS-V 9t8z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    doylestown, Pa
    Posts
    6,818

    SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

    Quote Originally Posted by side2000 View Post
    the top one is the one in question, which is "fixed" and will not change geometry as i'm sure you know. the lower one is the one that dictates geometry, i know. i think we are just having a miscommunication problem.
    Yes, the top relocation bar is fixed but it has pushed the pivot point of the panhard bar down thus changing the geometry.

  18. #18
    Member side2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    md
    Posts
    861

    red
    2000 camaro ss

    hmmmmmm. i didn't see (and still barely can) how it abandons original mounting hole and uses the lower w/ brackets. thanks for bein patient.

  19. #19
    Senior Member INMY01TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The great red state of MD.
    Posts
    5,755

    Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

    Quote Originally Posted by architect7 View Post
    But can you run one side of the dual exhaust over the axle on the drivers side and the other side of the dual exhaust over the passenger side of the axle? That's what I'm wanting to do but I've never seen it. I always see both parts of the dual exhaust running over the axle on the passenger side.

    Thanks for the feedback.
    Yes you can run duals over both sides of the axle. I've seen it done in person a couple times.

  20. #20
    Knight of Chaos xzaero0's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Nebraska
    Age
    37
    Posts
    468

    Black
    2000 Trans Am

    If i were u, and running headers I would go straight to a 3" pipe off the headers and only go to 2.5 before I go over the axle. If it is possible and works out for you to run the pipe over the drivers side I wouldnt even bother running 2.5 pipe, I would do 3" all the way.

    I've got a X made into my duals as they go over the axle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •