Arctic White
    98 Z-28

California exhaust?

I want to put better exhaust on my Camaro. The only problem is that I live in California which means that LT headers is out of the question if I ever want to pass smog again because of the cats being relocated. I've heard that shorties and mids aren't really worth my time because they don't increase power. What about an LS6 exhaust manifold? Would that flow better than stock if I could do true duals with it or am I just screwed?

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

An ls6 intake would give you pretty good gains, i would say its worth the investment. As far as mids our stock manifolds flow just about the same as them so i wouldnt waste my cash.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Blue/Green Chameleon
    1999 Firebird

dont completely rule out lt's, theres plenty of us in cali runnin them, theres shops out there that skimp on the visual

Artic white
    2001 Trans am

Quote Originally Posted by airmaxon1 View Post
    dont completely rule out lt's, theres plenty of us in cali runnin them, theres shops out there that skimp on the visual
    you stay out here in the bay? i do too, do you know of any good shops for
    ls1's? i didnt know that you couldnt put lt's on your car out here in cali.

Blue/Green Chameleon
    1999 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by whiteLS1TA View Post
    yeah lt's relocate the cats so no go here, unless you find someone to pass it. what kind of shop are you looking for, like performance wise?

Arctic White
    98 Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by whiteLS1TA View Post
    It's not that you can't put lt's on your car in CA, you just have to know someone who will hot smog it for you. I had a shop that was pretty lenient with smog and he would hook up lots of us on the visual, but now he says its too big of a risk because the state up the fines. He said he would loose his buisness if he got caught...so I respect him for that. Meanwhile I having a hard time finding anyone who wants to take the risk. There's a shop in chico who kinda specializes in hotrods. I take it to him because he has a serious WS6...he built it really well and runs fast as hell too.

Artic white
    2001 Trans am

i found a shop out here called fbody performance, i guess they only do fbodies and gtos. i think they do other cars, ima go check them out to day. i'll let you guys know since you guys are around my area.

Party Time, Excellent... Kingc8r's Avatar

Arctic White
    2000 Z-28

Go to import shops usually they don't know what to look for on American cars in my experience. As for performance shops , all of my buddies go to Nick Newton at Newtech Performance.

I have always ' paid ' for my smogs but it is getting harder and harder. Usually it will cost you between $200-300.

Arctic White
    2000 Z-28

if you google Newtech Performance it should pop up. Nick is a little pricey at first but the more you go to him the better the deals get and he has a very good Rep and has one fast F-Body.

Blue/Green Chameleon
    1999 Firebird

ive also heard some good things about Synergy Motorsports in Newark, dont actually have experience with them myself.
    www.synergymotorsports.net

98 Formula
    06 duramax

cali hasn't outlawed the combustion engine yet? dude, I feel sorry for you guys out there. Cali knows how to kill a car hobby.
    I wouldn't put ls6 exhaust manifolds on the car. Why not just run LT's and swap the exhaust before you e-check the car? Only talking about an afternoons worth of work to swap back and forth.

Arctic White
    98 Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    cali hasn't outlawed the combustion engine yet? dude, I feel sorry for you guys out there. Cali knows how to kill a car hobby.
    I wouldn't put ls6 exhaust manifolds on the car. Why not just run LT's and swap the exhaust before you e-check the car? Only talking about an afternoons worth of work to swap back and forth.
    Yeah I thought of that, but I had a friend who had that mentality too. He kept modding his car for two years and was just gonna "switch it back" when it came time to smog. He did so much stuff to it that we damn near replaced the whole motor to get it to pass. Seriously took him a month to get it back to specs because he could only work on it a few hours a day. Ah well, headers aren't that big of a deal...maybe I'll give that a shot.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

well, in order to do that you have to keep it somewhat reasonable. I wouldn't want to swap heads/cam and stuff like that in order to pass but I would definitely do headers. After an e-check or two I bet you'd have it down to a science and could knock it out in just a couple hours.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by sunsetorangess View Post
    As far as mids our stock manifolds flow just about the same as them so i wouldnt waste my cash.
    J
    i've seen cases where the mids have been restrictive over a stock manifold... see a guy on a dyno lose 5hp to the wheels and 10ftlb of TQ... he was PISSED!!! also wasted $300.00 for a useless dyno tune...

i've also heard the stockers are good for a little over 400 hp (engine not rw)... but that is hear say...

98 Formula
    06 duramax

are you guys describing shorites as mids? Shorties I can see but I can't see anyone losing HP with mids. Mac mids make good HP, almost comparable to LT's.

Arctic White
    2000 Z-28

PAY FOR YOUR SMOG! Sorry about the yelling, but screw the idea of swap this and that to pass smog. I'm sure if you go to car shows and local forums you can find someone to hook you up.

You want to pass smog, basically keep your car stock.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    are you guys describing shorites as mids? Shorties I can see but I can't see anyone losing HP with mids. Mac mids make good HP, almost comparable to LT's.
    to many companies lable shortys as mids...

Thread Information