Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Volant CAI

7 43.75%
  • SLP Full "Cold Air Package"

9 56.25%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Which CAI should I get?

This is a discussion on Which CAI should I get? within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; hey Dan, if you have access to a lift it would make things easier but its not needed...just use 4 ...

hugger orange

hey Dan, if you have access to a lift it would make things easier but its not needed...just use 4 jackstands to get your car off the ground and you should beable to do a quality catback install in under a few hours. most unbolt behind the cat then are just held in with a few rubber hangers... a sawzall will make getting your old system out a lot quicker

Black
    1999 Trans AM Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Psychosis View Post
    i don't know if its the cheapest place but its a sponor and does have good prices.

aluminized
    http://www.lmperformance.com/5796/1.html

stainless steel
    http://www.lmperformance.com/5795/1.html

you definately want stainless steel, especially if daily driver since you live in jersey.
    Thanks for the suggestion, I actually have my mind set on a Magnaflow Catback system, which saves me more than $200 over the stainless steel Bassani's.

- http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...5a2803e040313d

-Tell me if you like them, and I am still taking suggestions for whatever.

Thanks
    -Dan

WS9 + Y82 = Trans Am 6speedTAthistime's Avatar

Silver
    02 Trans am

Free Mods?
    SLP Lid, CB

Black
    1999 Trans AM Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by 6speedTAthistime View Post
    Free Mods?
    SLP Lid, CB
    CB?

What's that?

-Dan

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

any lid and the ssra. itl be under $300 and give you ~25 hp over stock.

Black
    1999 Trans AM Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by Ripper415 View Post
    any lid and the ssra. itl be under $300 and give you ~25 hp over stock.
    Yeah I was just looking at that, if I got that I would still get the bellow, SLP lid, and a new filter.

The only thing is, it looks like it is prone to damage by scraping or hitting since it sits very low. Is that a problem with it?

-Dan

Monterey Maroon Metalic
    2000 Z28

I think most people can agree that SLP overhypes the HP gains in their parts. I think for the $ you are going to do very well with a Blackwing or K&N drop-in filter, aftermarket Lid, skip the SLP Smooth Bellows and you can find a similar part that will connect your MAF to your Throttle Body at Home Depot or Lowes for $10 or something. Just measure the diameter of each piece and measure how long it needs to be and go to plumbing and ask for some help.

You can do the free ram air mod and other DIY projects with directions at: http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm which is a great resource for do-it-yourselfers.

Also, I am glad you are looking at the Magnaflow kit. I love my 3" kit. Sounds great and made in stainless so it will last. Do yourself a favor and get stainless headers when you are ready to get them. Pacesetters are affordable and good headers but they will eventually rust, even if ceramic coated. Do it right the first time. I found my stainless headers on ebay for around $500.00 shipped.

It sounds like you are on the right track. Use the search tool when looking for something specific, all of this has been addressed before. I learn something new on this site every day.

Black
    1999 Trans AM Firebird

I really want the SLP lid and the SSRA, but I've been looking at these pictures and it definitely looks like the SSRA is going to scrape on bumps and ramps. I don't want it to end up breaking from just driving around town.

Please tell me if you have had any problems with that.

Thanks
    -Dan

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by Facesmelt View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion, I actually have my mind set on a Magnaflow Catback system, which saves me more than $200 over the stainless steel Bassani's.

- http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...5a2803e040313d

-Tell me if you like them, and I am still taking suggestions for whatever.

Thanks
    -Dan
    hey just remember you should pick the one you like because lyou will be the only one driving your car everyday so it needs to sound good to you.
    it there is a place people cruise around your area go out there and try to listen to diferent systems in person.

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Facesmelt View Post
    I really want the SLP lid and the SSRA, but I've been looking at these pictures and it definitely looks like the SSRA is going to scrape on bumps and ramps. I don't want it to end up breaking from just driving around town.

Please tell me if you have had any problems with that.

Thanks
    -Dan
    never had a problem with that and i've had it on my daily driver car for over a year now....but i'm careful with it. if you see that you're about to park in a space with a really tall railroad tie just dont pull all the way up, stop about a foot before you normally would and no problems. but this is only necessary for super high curbs, as standard ones will slip right under it. go to my cardomain site to see pics of the ssra installed and parked over a wooden parking stop which is about 4-5 inches high (about the same height as all parking lot ones). also, as far as scraping it goes, i've driven up/down many steep inclines and heard scraping under the front end many times. however, eveytime i've gotten out to check it has been the plastic air deflector under the car that scraped not the ssra (this is because the deflector hangs a few inches lower than the ssra.

finally, dont bother with the bellows or k&N filter because both together will give you MAYBE 1 more hp and cost like $100. the bellows is useless and cracks lids, the k&n isn't necessary and ends up letting more dirt into your engine. i'd rather have a cleaner engine and make 1 less hp.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information