• Volant CAI

7 43.75%
  • SLP Full "Cold Air Package"

9 56.25%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    1999 Trans AM Firebird

Which CAI should I get?

I have a stock '99 Black Trans AM M6 and I was just recently looking into some cheap and easy modifications for some horsepower gains.

I looked around on some sites to find a good intake and found the SLP "Flopack" Cold Air Package. As a package you save about $30-ish over buying the parts individually and it fits my budget, it also claims gains of about 25 HP. I looked up each individual product from the package and that claim seemed to be a bit modest if anything, but I am new to the car modding scene. The package includes; the SLP Cold-Air Induction Kit, High-Flow Air-Box Lid, F-Body Smooth Bellows, and Black Wing Air Filter.

Then, after looking around a bit on these forums, I found that a lot of people have great things to say about the Volant CAI. So, I looked it up on the site and it claims gains of up to 15 RWHP, for about the same price as the full package that SLP offers.

SLP "Flopack" Cold Air Package - http://www.lmperformance.com/2909/1.html

Volant CAI - http://www.lmperformance.com/2387/1.html

Also, I am planning to install whatever I get myself, and I wanted to know what is involved with the installation and how easy it may be. If there are any guides out there to aid me in the installation of these things, I would appreciate the links.

Thanks a lot ahead of time
    -Dan
    Last edited by Facesmelt; 06-03-2008 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Moving back to this thread, ugh.

Red
    98 T/A M6 w/lid and LM1

imo none. there are better things for the money. just get a simple lid, whichever you like the looks of the most.

Black
    1999 Trans AM Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Psychosis View Post
    imo none. there are better things for the money. just get a simple lid, whichever you like the looks of the most.
    Well, I am just getting into modifying my car and I am open to some suggestions.

But, what would say is better for the money?

I have about $300 to spend but can go as high as $500-ish in some time, so just throw some suggestions at me. I am looking for the cheapest, easiest horsepower gains for and easy modification that needs no support. I heard that an intake just about fits that perfectly, but I don't know.

Anything is helpful!

Thanks
    -Dan

Red
    98 T/A M6 w/lid and LM1

lid is good for money. thats about $100. probably a little less. after that, exhaust would probably be the most satisfying consider power and the fun factor. go to ls1sounds.com. if i were you i'd stretch it and just get a magnaflow or loudmouth exhaust since they will be more noticeable upgrades.

also, if you have an auto a stall would be a good idea. search in the auto tranny section about that.

Black
    1999 Trans AM Firebird

Nope, it's an M6, so no stall. But anyway, I don't know how easy it would be to install an exhaust, would I need to have the car lifted.

Do you know of any guides for how to do it yourself?

I can always expand my budget, it will just take more and more time. I was actually looking for a bunch of smaller upgrades before starting something large. But, if needed, I can budget out about $500 a month for mods.

Also, I want to keep my mods legal. I don't want to have to redo anything when inspection time comes along.

Thanks
    -Dan
    Last edited by Facesmelt; 06-03-2008 at 03:20 PM.

Red
    98 T/A M6 w/lid and LM1

i'd get a catback. they are legal and usually cost $300+. personally, i like the loudmouth. i think it bolts on? if not shouldn't be more than about $40 for install, i would think. i haven't even done this yet though im going to in a week or so and just pay a shop to do it since im bringing the car in anyways.
    Last edited by Speed Psychosis; 06-03-2008 at 04:54 PM.

Black
    1999 Trans AM Firebird

Yeah, I am actually looking more into getting a catback. I am not too sure about SLP though, I haven't heard much good about them. I was actually looking at a Borla system.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am A4

I say Volant if you have or plan on getting a ram air hood and a lid/Flowpac without.
    1998 Trans Am, A4, SLP Loudmouth I, US Exotics WS9 ram air hood, Volant intake, 3.23's, 70k miles

Black
    1999 Trans AM Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by vannatte View Post
    I say Volant if you have or plan on getting a ram air hood and a lid/Flowpac without.
    Hmm... Yeah, I'm probably not going to get a Ram Air hood.

Thanks for the input
    -Dan

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

no ram air hood = ftra or ssra
    ram air hood = ftra/ssra or volant < ---- about the same gains with either

Red
    98 T/A M6 w/lid and LM1

Quote Originally Posted by Facesmelt View Post
    Yeah, I am actually looking more into getting a catback. I am not too sure about SLP though, I haven't heard much good about them. I was actually looking at a Borla system.
    quality of bouth lm catbacks is fine. lids are good too. their headers are good quality, just are shaped so they sit very low. i have not heard anyone having problems with catbacks though.

but if you want something deeper, bassani sounds good in vids. i know they have a catback system. and also i haven't heard anything bad about borla either.

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

nah. . . corsa or magnaflow

Black
    1999 Trans AM Firebird

I actually might get an exhaust system as my first mod, but since my goal is to eventually have it cammed and running well. So, I want to have an intake and exhaust in it by that time. I hear that cams work better with those as supporting mods.

Anyway, I am really looking into these Bassani's - http://www.lmperformance.com/5797/1.html

I really like the deep tone and they are actually a pretty good price too. But what else would I need to get for an exhaust setup. I don't know what else I would need in order to have a full exhaust.

I would think that I need headers, and what else?

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

Quote Originally Posted by PatrizioD View Post
    ID vote for Volant for the original question. For exhaust, check out Spintech. Stupid question... what do you guys mean by 'lid'?
    Ram air lid, it's the cover over our intake filter. http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog/summaries/s800.jpgThe stock one is pretty restrictive, so any aftermarket lid is good, go for the cheap one. I got an SLP for $90 and free shipping a few months back. They advertise gains between 10-15rwhp, but I haven't seen any dynos proving the difference between stock and aftermarket, so I dunno

Black
    2000 Z-28

Yeah with your budget I'd steer clear of Borla, they're like $800-$900 dollar catbacks. Not worth it in my opinion. I picked up a used Magnaflow for like $300 and you can find deals like that in the classified section. Save that money for headers and a y pipe or other mods you like.

red
    2000 Camaro SS

if you had the ws6 hood then hands down volant.. but sense you dont and dont plan to then i like the flow pac... it looks cleaner and the gains would be about the same. I think you would pick up more with the flow pac at higher speeds then the volant.

Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)
    Pewter 2001 Trans Am Vert

Quote Originally Posted by GULLETT17 View Post
    nah. . . corsa or magnaflow
    ya Corsa FTFW!

Red
    98 T/A M6 w/lid and LM1

if you are doing cams and such later i'd wait and get a bassani true dual. those cost around $800, i think. that will be better performance wise. if you have about $500 a month wait another month and do it right the first time.

Black
    1999 Trans AM Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Psychosis View Post
    if you are doing cams and such later i'd wait and get a bassani true dual. those cost around $800, i think. that will be better performance wise. if you have about $500 a month wait another month and do it right the first time.

Ya, my friend actually suggested that, it is probably my exhaust setup plan, do you have a site with set directions on what to get? I actually don't care about legality anymore. I just don't know how what to get specifically, so a link would help. But that is what he said Bassani True Duals, and something about an X-pipe, I don't know.

Thanks ahead of time
    -Dan

Red
    98 T/A M6 w/lid and LM1

i don't know if its the cheapest place but its a sponor and does have good prices.

aluminized
    http://www.lmperformance.com/5796/1.html

stainless steel
    http://www.lmperformance.com/5795/1.html

you definately want stainless steel, especially if daily driver since you live in jersey.

Thread Information