View Poll Results: Which would you get???

Voters
133. You may not vote on this poll
  • American Racing (stainless)

27 20.30%
  • QTP (stainless)

17 12.78%
  • SLP (stainless)

2 1.50%
  • PaceSetters (ceramic coated)

59 44.36%
  • OBX (ebay stainless specials)

11 8.27%
  • none of the above

17 12.78%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Buying headers is tough, pls help.

This is a discussion on Buying headers is tough, pls help. within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Here is a link to the Kooks. 6500-1RHS is the Kooks part # you want Dan. http://www.lmperformance.com/15829/1.html All the higher ...

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Here is a link to the Kooks. 6500-1RHS is the Kooks part # you want Dan.

http://www.lmperformance.com/15829/1.html

All the higher quality headers are what they say they are. If they say 1 7/8" they measure 1 7/8".
    Cheap shit try to trick you by giving you a OD (outside diameter) measurement and NOT a ID (inside diameter) measurement.
    Once again you get what you pay for!
    Looks can be VERY deceiving huh...........
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by rickssz View Post
    Save money get pacesetters everything else is a head trip.
    You have lots of research to back this up, eh? There are differences between headers, it all depends on what you want from the engine.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Save money get pacesetters everything else is a head trip.
    For your motor your probably right! LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    You have lots of research to back this up, eh? There are differences between headers, it all depends on what you want from the engine.
    I didn't even catch that response. LOL Making that statement should answer your ? in the first place.
    You tell me how many FAST race cars or street cars you see at the track running Pacesetters.

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!

I know what Eagle plans on doing and what he is spraying now. Putting a cheap POS header is pointless to waste money. Stock motor NO nitrous yeah who gives a fuck.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    For your motor your probably right! LOL

I didn't even catch that response. LOL Making that statement should answer your ? in the first place.
    You tell me how many FAST race cars or street cars you see at the track running Pacesetters.

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!

I know what Eagle plans on doing and what he is spraying now. Putting a cheap POS header is pointless to waste money. Stock motor NO nitrous yeah who gives a fuck.
    Oh, so for my POS mostly stock motor I shoulda got Pacesetters LOL

I read the original post and didnt see where Eagle explained anything other than he was on a budget so thats what I replied to.

LS1Tuner Im curious are pacesetters really that bad to call them a "POS" I thought an awful lot of people on here used them??
    Last edited by rickssz; 02-24-2008 at 06:02 AM.

Pewter
    2002 WS6

Click me.

Tell me why I should have stepped headers over just 1 3/4" or 1 7/8" headers, cuz they're a bit cheaper without the step... but if I had to guess you're going to answer something like "you get what u pay for"!

-Eagle

I'm not convinced theres an aftermarket header out there that measures the exact spec its supossed to.
    Are you sending those headers back and going with something else Dan?

Pewter
    2002 WS6

Yeah they're going back... just waiting on an RMA #. Just not SURE what to do yet... but I'm leaning towards Kooks.

Some people dont like kooks or qtp but they are and always have been the top headers for our ls1 cars. I'm curious to know how the top of the line header measures up. Keep us updated on what you get and please take measurements. Have you considered qtp?

Pewter
    2002 WS6

I've thought about QTPs, but since you told me your 1 3/4" QTPs measure 1 5/8" (only 1/8" of an inch larger than than these OBX headers) I'm really curious if I should be going with the Kooks... but truth be told I don't know what they measure for I.D. either... so I'm still basically throwing $$$$ at it.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

I read the original post and didnt see where Eagle explained anything other than he was on a budget so thats what I replied to.

LS1Tuner Im curious are pacesetters really that bad to call them a "POS" I thought an awful lot of people on here used them??
    Just stirring the pot! Like I said they are fine for stock or close to motors.
    And the POS comment was about the junk he bought off Ebay. Yeah they sure made sure that outside polish looks nice though......LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
    Click me.

Tell me why I should have stepped headers over just 1 3/4" or 1 7/8" headers, cuz they're a bit cheaper without the step... but if I had to guess you're going to answer something like "you get what u pay for"!

-Eagle
    Well the biggest reason is your car is a street car. If it was a track only deal than who cares about your TQ curve on the motor (N/A).
    The stepped will give you a more flat TQ curve and help aid in driveabilty on the street. Not to mention it will aid in peak power on the bottle.
    I would have to say that the 160 or 180 it cost will pay for itself in fuel mileage by aiding your low end TQ.
    If you just went with the 1 7/8" the bottle would love it but you would kill the lower end of your TQ curve on the motor which really effects driveabilty.
    Here are a couple quites from the manufacture.

"They can be produced in many different configurations depending on what you need. This quick reference will give you an idea of what will work best for your application -

1 3/4" - Best for bolt-on cars or if your running a head/cam upgrade
    1 7/8" - These work great with stroker motors
    1 3/4" to 1 7/8" stepped - A nice upgrade for if your running a BIG cam, supercharger or nitrous.
    1 7/8" to 2" stepped - These are pretty much "race car headers" Your going to be running a big cubic inch motor and spraying alot of nitrous to take advantage of these. They have 3 1/2" collectors. "

"Step Header Design
    This patented design is quite unique in that it offers a smaller diameter primary tube that starts at the engines exhaust port and later increases to a greater diameter at a specific distance from the cylinder head. The result from the larger tube is maximum horsepower at high RPM, while the small tube maximizes low-end torque."

Either way you go you'll be amazed @ the difference your going to see in Quality!
    The link you posted has them for cheaper but they are also NOT coated like they are from LMP. In my opinion it is NOT a educated decision to purchase a $1000 high end header and NOT have it coated.
    You could call around Chi on Mon. and I know there is Many powder coating shops that are doing exhaust coatings that are the same thing as Jet Hot but alot cheaper. You might be able to save some money that way. Plus look at who is better on the shipping rate.
    Salt loves stainless..........................

red
    2001 trans am ws6

I have to say that I am so totally happy with the Pacesetters. Great fit nice coating nice welds good price, whats to lose. Many people think they are the best bang for the buck. Sure the Kooks will give you a few HP, someone help me here, mabey what about 4 HP for $400 more. Toss in an electric cutout at the last bend befor the muffler and gain another 5 to 10 HP for $150 bucks. This is the setup I use and it is really nice to be able to run in stealth mode. No need to attract even more attention arround the streets of Chicago. Open the cutout under an overpass, go 4 grand and watch everyone hit the breaks. Worth every dime

Black
    2000 Trans Am

I went with the ARH stainless Longtubes Ceramic Coated. They are being put on this week with duals and an x pipe setup. I'll let you know how it turns out. The ARH looked awsome with very good welds. I would go with ARH or Kooks, if I had to buy headers again. Sometimes you get what you pay for... sometimes you don't... like sometimes you get a good deal off of Ebay and sometimes you don't. Call a speed shop and see what they have to say. It's more than likely they will tell you to go with Kooks, but not if your going to just leave it on the stock motor with no bottle. What you are going to do with your car later down the line also has a lot to do with it.

navy blue metallic
    2000 z28 camaro

I Did The Edelbrock Shorties.slp Off Road Y Pipe And Magnaflow Cat Back Sounds Great And Makes A Ton Of Power
    4.10 RICHMOND GEARS,LAKEWOOD LCA'S,EATON POSI,EDELBROCK TORQUE ARM,
    LAKEWOOD PANHARD BAR,SLP LID,,B&M RIPPER SHIFTER,EDELBROCK STRUT TOWER BRACE,SLP FAN CONTROL,SLP LINE LOCK,17 INCH ZR1S WITH 315 35S AND 275 40S,SLP Y-PIPE,TSP 224/224 112LSA CAM,COMP SPRINGS,TUNED BY FROST @ LSXTUNE.COM

navy blue metallic
    2000 z28 camaro

Ceramic Coated!!

Black
    2000 Trans Am

The Edlebrock Shorties are junk!!! They are way too restrictive. The stock manifolds are just as good if not better than as they are. My car auctuall didnt pull as hard on the top end with them.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by xzaero0 View Post
    The Edlebrock Shorties are junk!!! They are way too restrictive. The stock manifolds are just as good if not better than as they are. My car auctuall didnt pull as hard on the top end with them.
    Stock manifolds are better.........
    Your car didn't pull as hard because of you not having the right tune!

Yeah manifolds flow better.............. LOL

Black
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    Stock manifolds are better.........
    Your car didn't pull as hard because of you not having the right tune!
    Click for full size

Yeah manifolds flow better.............. LOL
    That could be part of the problem. But they looked so cute laying next to my ARH. I only had a predator tune... I know its not that good but man those are terrible headers. Prolly never gonna buy anthing from Edelbrock again tho. I really woudnt doubt the manifolds being almost if not as good tho. Just used o2 sims on my dual with no cats. Electric WP, SLP underdrive pulley, debaffled air lid, K&N, Predator tune LM2s dual exhaust = 281/283 only thing holding it back was the shorties.

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

I have the SLP stainless and love them!

Install was much easier than everyone says. If you take your time and have the car high enough installing any brand is really not easier than the other.

Just remember that the steering shaft is adjustable. No need to be banging on your $1000.00 or $400.00 header to get them in. Also no need to be grinding on your block.

Also taking the coil packs off and setting them up on the intake out of the way is way easier then trying to do it with them on.

#1 rule for me when working on the car is taking stuff out of my way makes it go 10 times faster than working around stuff I could have taken off.

The SLP do definetly have a clearance issue. If your car is lowered or you have low profile tires or plan on lowering it they are a bad idea. You should go with QTP or Pacesetter which will tuck up better.

The biggest issue I have with some of the cheaper brands is the flange. The ones with a thing flang tend to have to be tightened after a while. I'm going on 2 years and atleast 10-15,000 miles on mine and I have not had to tighten them again.

Slow Passenger Window - Want Passenger Express Down - Tired of Replacing DayTime Running Light Bulbs

Camaro Owners Click Here
    Firebird Owners Click Here

Need instructions to replace your F-Body window motor?
    www.AutoTrix.net

White
    2000 Trans AM

I just bought my header 2 days ago. I've been watching this post and got alot of good information. I decided to got with the Pacesetter long tubes ceramic coat.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information