Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

red
    1998 Z28

Building an Intake?

Alright guys heres the thing i am still in school as a welder and we need a grade project and i thought y not do something for my car. so i was thinking about building an Intake manifold for my car and i was wondering if anyone else has any experince doing this? help would be greatly appreciated cuz i need to know like how long to make my runners and how big to make the body of the intake cuz as u guys know size matters

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by AB'sLs1 View Post
    Alright guys heres the thing i am still in school as a welder and we need a grade project and i thought y not do something for my car. so i was thinking about building an Intake manifold for my car and i was wondering if anyone else has any experince doing this? help would be greatly appreciated cuz i need to know like how long to make my runners and how big to make the body of the intake cuz as u guys know size matters
    Using sheet metal I presume? There is a link with pics of a guy building an intake for his turbo vette, so let me find it...Also, your car is gonna have to be down for a little while since you"ll have to mock up the intake on your motor.

Oh, and I see ur from Lititz. I grew up in Solanco school district...I hate that place

red
    1998 Z28

haha im a big fan of lititz i love small towns and i never wanna move.

but no sheet metal would be unacceptable for me! i was thinking either aluminum of stainless steel. i have not decided yet i want to get some in put from a few of the guys on the forums here. im a good welder so i have no problems tig welding either of those 2 metals

Red
    2001 Trash Can

haha im a big fan of lititz i love small towns and i never wanna move.

but no sheet metal would be unacceptable for me! i was thinking either aluminum of stainless steel. i have not decided yet i want to get some in put from a few of the guys on the forums here. im a good welder so i have no problems tig welding either of those 2 metals
    not that I dont love small towns I just dont love Quarryville haha. Lititz is a nice little town though.

My bad, I was thinking of the elbow as being sheet metal like some guys use on carb style intakes. Best of luck though and update with pics!

red
    1998 Z28

thank u still lookin for som advice tho haha

hugger orange

thank u still lookin for som advice tho haha
    try looking at this one
    http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tec...lds/index.html

red
    1998 Z28

hey tahnks mark this site looks like it will really help!

but it still would to be nice to hear from someone who has done this personally but i really appreciate the site thanks again

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

wow i was welding student of the year and i would not want to undertake that project, props to ya man and get some pictures when your done...

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Automotive student of the year here.

I think a lot of machining would be required as well to true the flanges.

red
    1998 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    Automotive student of the year here.

I think a lot of machining would be required as well to true the flanges.

ya i see what u mean lucky our machine shop is right down the hall haha. but yea i didnt even think about that.

the welding part i wont have a problem with its making it work right. i dont just wanna throw some random peices of metal together and hope it works. i want it to out performe the stock intake obviously. so any help would be awesome!

red
    1998 Z28

also does anyone know measurements like the stock heads intake port size or maybe how many inches r inbetween each port stuff like that cuz i want my car to stay running as long as possible

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

the welding part i wont have a problem with its making it work right. i dont just wanna throw some random peices of metal together and hope it works. i want it to out performe the stock intake obviously. so any help would be awesome!
    that will be the hardest part, anyone can throw one together but performance will be the key...

hugger orange

also does anyone know measurements like the stock heads intake port size or maybe how many inches r inbetween each port stuff like that cuz i want my car to stay running as long as possible
    I've got an intake laying on the bench in the garage and get measurements for you, but I'd recomend getting a set of felpro gaskets to use for a template....i think they are around $25

red
    1998 Z28

i know what u mean suede. ive been reading up on the matter and the more i read the more comfortable i get on doing it. im not ur everyday teen when something comes up like this i learn as much as i can on the matter. the idea behind it is in little way basic gearhead knowledge. im a very good tig welder so im not worried about that i actually work for a suspension parts vender so i know my way around a welder. but this seems like a challenge so i wanna try to do a good job so any help anyone can give me would be awesome.

Also im pretty sure im going to make it out of aluminum so i can take a better advantage of the pulse settings on tig incase anyone was interested

hugger orange

another thing, to help with stopping warping, if you can get ahold of a junk set of heads and bolt your flanges to them....bam one big heatsink.
    for my school project I built a car rotisserie

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

i know what u mean suede. ive been reading up on the matter and the more i read the more comfortable i get on doing it. im not ur everyday teen when something comes up like this i learn as much as i can on the matter. the idea behind it is in little way basic gearhead knowledge. im a very good tig welder so im not worried about that i actually work for a suspension parts vender so i know my way around a welder. but this seems like a challenge so i wanna try to do a good job so any help anyone can give me would be awesome.

Also im pretty sure im going to make it out of aluminum so i can take a better advantage of the pulse settings on tig incase anyone was interested
    Props to ya man, I know i wouldnt want to do it, but im looking forward to seeing it done... goodluck and godsspeed lol

red
    1998 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    I've got an intake laying on the bench in the garage and get measurements for you, but I'd recomend getting a set of felpro gaskets to use for a template....i think they are around $25
    hey thanks but i think im starting to realize that im going to need to take mine off so i can make a nice card board cut out. and that page u sent me really helped so thanks again!

still lookin for anymore bit of help i can get on this one

hugger orange

hey thanks but i think im starting to realize that im going to need to take mine off so i can make a nice card board cut out. and that page u sent me really helped so thanks again!

still lookin for anymore bit of help i can get on this one
    white posterboard, sharpies, and masking tape are a fabricator's best friends

Red
    Vette,240sx,ls1 camaro

you do realize a intake manifold is not ever just welded together?

in order to build one you need a SOLID chunk of aluminum and alot of machining experience and in order to build a good manifold from scratch i would say it would take a minumim of 3 months of work.

a intake manifold is for a machining class not a welding class. if you wanna weld. put a rollcage in your car. all kinds right there.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information